longwalker

Tineye

18 posts in this topic

Hi all, I have seen the words "Tineye" what exactly is it and how does it work and check out

Peter

TinEye is a reverse image search engine. It finds out where an image came from, how it is being used, if modified versions of the image exist, or if there is a higher resolution version.

^^From the TinEye website.

In punting terms it can tell you if a WG's pictures are her own or if they have been stolen from somewhere, hinting at the possibility of bait & switch or a scam.

thanks DD, how do I work it?

thanks DD, how do I work it?

You go to http://www.tineye.com and either paste a URL of an image - or upload an actual saved image from your computer .. and it will give you the details it has on record of all the places you can find that image.

thanks Hacker, much appreciated

You might want to try google images also. Have two tabs open, one with google images, then drag and drop the image you want to investigate.

Just to add a small postscript to this thread, Google's image search is also very good and has, on occasion, found pictures that Tineye has been unable to.

We get sent pinched pictures every week by ladies purporting to be the model, so we have to use them both quite a lot.

RB x

google image search is better these days but tineye is a good backup

Just to add a small postscript to this thread, Google's image search is also very good and has, on occasion, found pictures that Tineye has been unable to.

We get sent pinched pictures every week by ladies purporting to be the model, so we have to use them both quite a lot.

RB x

You forgot to mention: when you using GRIS, you need click in the drop down box "safe search off", as majority of the images matches comes from the adult websites.

You forgot to mention: when you using GRIS, you need click in the drop down box "safe search off", as majority of the images matches comes from the adult websites.

Hi, Im probably being stupid, but which drop down box to turn safe search off? Thanks.

Hi, Im probably being stupid, but which drop down box to turn safe search off? Thanks.

Open a new tab with a GRIS. Once you dragged and dropped image there (or uploaded), you will see on the top right (next left to the settings icon, which looks like a cog) drop down box with choices: " safe search ,moderate, strict, report offencive image". You need to select: Safe Search off.

Maybe somebody can explain better.

Open a new tab with a GRIS. Once you dragged and dropped image there (or uploaded), you will see on the top right (next left to the settings icon, which looks like a cog) drop down box with choices: " safe search ,moderate, strict, report offencive image". You need to select: Safe Search off.

Maybe somebody can explain better.

Thank you. Your explanation was great.

I seem to be alone in having no success with Tineye! Having tried several searches without any hits, when I did encounter an image that I had seen on another website, I pasted the URL of the image into Tineye - no hits. I've tried on a few others since, and never had a single hit. It can't be coincidence that all the images I've tried haven't been indexed by Tineye can it?

Anyone else tried and failed? Is it me?!

I seem to be alone in having no success with Tineye! Having tried several searches without any hits, when I did encounter an image that I had seen on another website, I pasted the URL of the image into Tineye - no hits. I've tried on a few others since, and never had a single hit. It can't be coincidence that all the images I've tried haven't been indexed by Tineye can it?

Depends what you mean by coincidence. It means that none of your images are in the index. If you only tried a small handful of images, that's not a surprise. Even if you try many images, they are likely correlated (some sites steal more images than other sites), so you may just not get many hits.

Anyone else tried and failed? Is it me?!

It's the images you chose.

Be patient, their index is not that huge compared to say google web search, and it isn't updated frequently. It's useful, no doubt about that. The aspect of GRIS that is similar to tineye is relatively new, so I'm not so confident about that, but it certainly is useful too.

Depends what you mean by coincidence. It means that none of your images are in the index. If you only tried a small handful of images, that's not a surprise. Even if you try many images, they are likely correlated (some sites steal more images than other sites), so you may just not get many hits.

It's the images you chose.

Be patient, their index is not that huge compared to say google web search, and it isn't updated frequently. It's useful, no doubt about that. The aspect of GRIS that is similar to tineye is relatively new, so I'm not so confident about that, but it certainly is useful too.

Tineye doesn't pick up every image, but google often will.

how do you check them if they are right click disabled though? {technophobe here}

how do you check them if they are right click disabled though? {technophobe here}

The easiest way to get around it, is to use FF browser. Click Tools, then Options, then Content. You will see "Enable java script" box, which probabaly will be ticked by default. (if not, then tick it) Click Advanced next to it. Untick " disable or replace context menu", then OK. Next time when you click on the image where rigth click is disabled you will see usual message first, but then menu will follow where you can save image, copy image, etc.

If you have Tineye plugin installed, then you can straight away check Tineye also. For some reason GRIS plugin does not work. Maybe somebody can advise why. In anyway, its easy enough to check it manually.

aha done it at last.....my thanks to everybody I find google images slightly better than tineye but its nice to have both of them

again thanks