Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gaj

Newsnight report on dodgy sex trafficking figures

16 posts in this topic

The shameless, scoundrelly effrontery of the man just beggars belief.

Well, the comments are running 20 to 1 against him.

But what's his motive?

Is it just to curry favour with his radfem wife?

Well, the comments are running 20 to 1 against him.

I have read most of the page and no-one actually has agreed with at all (thus far)...

What's the saying? Not going down without a fight?

I'd also take issue with MacShane on these points:

the Guardian front-paged a report that came to close to arguing trafficking does not exist

No, I think they said the figures used by Government could not be substantiated and Operation Penameter had failed to uncover the suggested 80,000 prostitutes.

Regional newspapers publish advertisements from brothels

I think he will find there has been a substantial reduction in these, and in some papers have gone altogether.

...police and councils started photographing and publishing the number plates of the kerb-crawling cars.

Has anyone on here any info on this? News to me

I honestly don't know how many girls are trafficked into Britain. I once quoted a Daily Mirror report in the Commons. Its headline talked of 25,000 women

If you're not sure of anything, why peddle the myth? Just make you look a tosser when the real truth is known.

The Newsnight report managed its investigation without talking to a single trafficked victim.

MacShane has clearly not read an earlier Guardian story which reported that "the number of people who have been brought into the UK and forced against their will into prostitution is much smaller than claimed". If a campaign by Government and its agencies with their resources finds very few women in a 6 month span, I dobut even the BBC can drum up one in 24-36 hours. The man is unrealistic.

The descent of a Newsnight discussion on the sex trade into a shouting match shows how difficult it is to debate the issue

It's very difficult to debate any issue objectively and sensibly when it's based on bogus statistics that when proved wrong are still trotted out.

....Instead we had self-appointed "experts"

Yes, including YOU, MacShane. Just be a good little boy, clear off and ask mummy to wipe your nose..... (I was going to say arse but considered it rude!)

And both letters wilfully (it must be wilfully) represent the original Nick Davis article that blew their case out of the water.

And, just to keep the other part of the Guardian's readership happy, there's a badtempered review of the Freakeconomics book as well:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/cifamerica/2009/oct/21/superfreakonomics-prostitution-dubner-levitt

Sorry, that should have been 'misrepresent'.

Agreed, what sickened me was his shameless attempt to exploit the murder of Andrea Waddell and the working girls in Ipswich.

He willfully ignored the fact that Government Policy increases the risks to working girls by preventing them working collectively. If Andrea Waddell had been able to work with another girl in a shared flat she would probably be alive today.

Agreed, what sickened me was his shameless attempt to exploit the murder of Andrea Waddell and the working girls in Ipswich.

He willfully ignored the fact that Government Policy increases the risks to working girls by preventing them working collectively. If Andrea Waddell had been able to work with another girl in a shared flat she would probably be alive today.

Secondly there's nothing I've read so far that indicates Andrea Waddel's death had anything to do with her working as a prostitute. A guy has been arrested and charged but there's been no mention of how he's known to her or what his motive may have been. At least Paxman pulled him up that the Ipswich girls and Andrea Waddel are not trafficked and were therefore irrelevent