Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Williams

Imac, Mountain Lion And Security

5 posts in this topic

Have just upgraded to Mountain Lion and would like some reassurance that my present security measures are keeping me safe from the Mrs!

We just have the one computer that my wife and I both use. I have safari on the dock which my wife uses for the internet. I also have Firefox tucked away in applications which I use for my browsing.

Firefox has been set to not remember browsing history. When I've finished I run MacCleanse which I've set to clear everything except the Safari history. Finally every other month or so I leave it on overnight and get it to overwrite the freespace a few times.

Does this seem sufficient and do I have to worry about icloud, is it busy squirting all my history to some server somewhere?

Your thoughts appreciated.

Firefox doesn't use iCloud, so you should be fine.

If you both use the same computer, can you not convince her to have 2 accounts set up one for you, and one for her, as an additional layer of security ?

If you both use the same computer, can you not convince her to have 2 accounts set up one for you, and one for her, as an additional layer of security ?

Just what I've doen on my Macbook. User account for me and another for the other half. Apart from keeping prying eyes from my browsing history, it makes life much easier keeping each other's "stuff" in separate accounts.

You should be safe.

I use an iMac too, and for adult aspects use Firefox. It's set to delete history, cache and cookies - everything.

The browser has no bookmarks, doesnt remember passwords, starts with a blank page, blocks pop up windows, dont allow tracking of sites visited.

A serious consideration would be to set up a guest account for your wife, but sell it to her as a security thing in case the mac is nicked. (Go to system prefs, accounts... but untick the file sharing option !)