Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Superego

Condom Confiscation Measures

11 posts in this topic

'In countries around the world, police are in the habit of confiscating condoms from suspected prostitutes. These condoms are then used as evidence in criminal cases. This happens in places such as Russia, Kenya, South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe. You might be surprised -- though, really, you shouldn't be -- that this even happens right here in the United States'.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/afterdark/2012/07/condom_confiscation_sends_mixe.php

Can they also confiscate them from a guy who buys them in anticipation of an afternoon's lust with a "friend"?

Can they also confiscate them from a guy who buys them in anticipation of an afternoon's lust with a "friend"?

Two letters, one word, in the negative= No! :P

'In countries around the world, police are in the habit of confiscating condoms from suspected prostitutes. These condoms are then used as evidence in criminal cases. This happens in places such as Russia, Kenya, South Africa, Namibia and Zimbabwe. You might be surprised -- though, really, you shouldn't be -- that this even happens right here in the United States'.

The police have similar powers in E&W to seize items from arrested persons to be used in evidence - Police & Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

If a known prostitute is in a red-light area "bobbing and peering" and then observed by the police approaching car-drivers, soliciting for business, if she's got a hand-bag containing dozens of condoms then she may find that they're seized as evidence.

The police have similar powers in E&W to seize items from arrested persons to be used in evidence - Police & Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

If a known prostitute is in a red-light area "bobbing and peering" and then observed by the police approaching car-drivers, soliciting for business, if she's got a hand-bag containing dozens of condoms then she may find that they're seized as evidence.

Cheers

What is E&W by the way?

What is E&W by the way?

England & Wales.

Long ago I was in kirckaldy Sheriff Court, and the case before mine concerned a "wee hooer". When she'd been convicted and sentenced to a fine, she asked for time to pay, to which the Sheriff responded instantly that when arrested she had £22 in one pound notes on her, and why did she need time?

A few quick questions of the polis afterwards revealed that the bench, even in Sheriff-Summary cases, gets, unsworn, uncross-examined, a list of the prisoner's effects! "Just waiting for a friend, officer" doesn't stand much chance against £22 and three condoms, does it. So much for open and public justice.

I hope that Cadder isn't the only improvemnt in Scots Criminal Procedure since then, but....

Edited by Irgendeiner

This story of a Brazilian lady refused entry into the UK because of what was in her luggage amused me at the time. Strangely though condoms were not mentioned as evidence of intent to work in the sex industry.

This story of a Brazilian lady refused entry into the UK because of what was in her luggage amused me at the time. Strangely though condoms were not mentioned as evidence of intent to work in the sex industry.

I liked the headline:

'Brazilian ejected as lingerie arouses border staff (suspicions)' :P

This story does relate back to Gordon Brown's glorious days, but, even so, the lady wasn't showing that much in the line of brains was she? If she'd had a similar experience in Belfast, you'd have thought that she'd have had the wits to invest in a couple of pairs of jeans, trainers, a warm fleece and a Michelin Green Guide, wouldn't you? (Or, sotto voce, was it her pimp who was the thick one who insisted that there'd be no difficulties second time around?)

Over here in sunny Cyprus the police created a setup, They gave a willing "volunteer" some marked notes. He trotted off to find a suitable victim and they proceeded to a hotel. When he had done the business he sent a text with the room number which was promptly raided.

The evidence consisted of marked notes in the ladys possession plus a condom with both sets of DNA that proved the deed had taken place.