Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BobThatcher

Annoying Sauna Experience. Grrr!

28 posts in this topic

I visited Blair Street Sauna in Edinburgh today and it was a total disaster. Partly my fault, partly the sauna's, partly just bad-luck all round and I'm raging. I feel like complaining to them, but I'll just get it off my chest here and you'll all, I'm sure, tell me it's not their fault.

I had 45-50 minutes to wait for a train, so decided to pop in for a quick half hour. I phoned ahead to check prices and how many girls were working - I've not been there for a few years, and the last couple of times were pretty poor. But, I'd had great punts there in the past, so decided to give it one last chance.

I made my first mistake by not asking if there were girls available before parting with my entry fee. It wouldn't normally be a problem, but I was tight for time and stupidly assumed that at least 1 of the 5 would be free. They weren't and after showering, I felt that £20 was a lot of money to pay just to watch the Olympics wrapped in a towel.

I asked the manager where everyone was and he told me that 1 girl would be availabel in 5 minutes, another in 10. So I waited. 10 minutes went before anyone appeared. A customer was leaving, closely followed by a WG.

The customer wasn't happy about something that had happened, and complained to the mgr. An almighty arguement ensued between the two and in my already tense state because of time, I was beginning to feel that this was not going to be the most relaxing punt.

It sounded like the customer was a regular and the manager was suggesting that because he'd been there a lot and was usually happy, that he wasn't going to get the refund he was demanding - I don't knwo what the nature of the complaint was, but it seemed an odd Customer Service tactic. Nevertheless, nothing to do with me.

Then that WG disappeared and another appeared. At this point I only had 30 minutes and so would have to leave early to get my train (missing it was not an option). But then, she just made herself a coffee and disappeared again.

The first WG appeared again and politely greeted me. No time for chat though, so I just asked if she was free. She said yes, so we're on!!! She then asked me for money up front there and then. Not usually a problem but it was the way it was said. She'd been given the nod by the manager that I was a new customer (I wasn't, but I'd said I was when entering). I thought he was telling her "He's a new customer, so treat him well", but he was really saying "He's a new customer so make sure he doesn't leg it without paying". She asked me for the money now "because you're a new customer!".

It just got my back up and on top of everything else, I just said no and left.

I forfeited the entry fee, of course and just put that down to experience, but when I complained to the manager about the couple of things that I thought they'd not done well (no WGs, arguing with another customer, making me feel untrustworthy), he said something really odd. He said "If you say you're a new customer, then you have to suffer the consequences". What does that even mean.

Anyway, rant over. It's not the worst experience in the world, and I made mistakes on that, too. But, when there are plenty of other places to try, am I going to go back there again????

What a shithole that place sounds. I Very rarely use parlours, i've got a bit paranoid if they got raided by police after one place i went to was raided literally a few minutes after i left, but i might have been inclined to tell the manager at the end i was going to make their life difficult and report them to the police that i had seen alot of drugs on the premises unless i get my £20 back.

I suppose you could still demand your money back, one beauty about parlours is they are not obviously mobile so punters can maake their lives very difficult if they want. Of course the downside is the police can start asking awkward questions as to how you know and whaat you were doing there!! And of course, ultimitely it is the girls who suffer who work from there, not the management, and in this case it seems the mangement were the problem and i dare say the girls are treated as bad as the clients.is name and shame the

Best thing you can do is name and shame the agency in question as you have done here, do it to as many forums as you can, i'm sure business will eventuaally be affected.

I visited Blair Street Sauna in Edinburgh today and it was a total disaster. Partly my fault, partly the sauna's, partly just bad-luck all round and I'm raging. I feel like complaining to them, but I'll just get it off my chest here and you'll all, I'm sure, tell me it's not their fault.

I had 45-50 minutes to wait for a train, so decided to pop in for a quick half hour. I phoned ahead to check prices and how many girls were working - I've not been there for a few years, and the last couple of times were pretty poor. But, I'd had great punts there in the past, so decided to give it one last chance.

I made my first mistake by not asking if there were girls available before parting with my entry fee. It wouldn't normally be a problem, but I was tight for time and stupidly assumed that at least 1 of the 5 would be free. They weren't and after showering, I felt that £20 was a lot of money to pay just to watch the Olympics wrapped in a towel.

I asked the manager where everyone was and he told me that 1 girl would be availabel in 5 minutes, another in 10. So I waited. 10 minutes went before anyone appeared. A customer was leaving, closely followed by a WG.

The customer wasn't happy about something that had happened, and complained to the mgr. An almighty arguement ensued between the two and in my already tense state because of time, I was beginning to feel that this was not going to be the most relaxing punt.

It sounded like the customer was a regular and the manager was suggesting that because he'd been there a lot and was usually happy, that he wasn't going to get the refund he was demanding - I don't knwo what the nature of the complaint was, but it seemed an odd Customer Service tactic. Nevertheless, nothing to do with me.

Then that WG disappeared and another appeared. At this point I only had 30 minutes and so would have to leave early to get my train (missing it was not an option). But then, she just made herself a coffee and disappeared again.

The first WG appeared again and politely greeted me. No time for chat though, so I just asked if she was free. She said yes, so we're on!!! She then asked me for money up front there and then. Not usually a problem but it was the way it was said. She'd been given the nod by the manager that I was a new customer (I wasn't, but I'd said I was when entering). I thought he was telling her "He's a new customer, so treat him well", but he was really saying "He's a new customer so make sure he doesn't leg it without paying". She asked me for the money now "because you're a new customer!".

It just got my back up and on top of everything else, I just said no and left.

I forfeited the entry fee, of course and just put that down to experience, but when I complained to the manager about the couple of things that I thought they'd not done well (no WGs, arguing with another customer, making me feel untrustworthy), he said something really odd. He said "If you say you're a new customer, then you have to suffer the consequences". What does that even mean.

Anyway, rant over. It's not the worst experience in the world, and I made mistakes on that, too. But, when there are plenty of other places to try, am I going to go back there again????

Sorry to hear of your troubles Bob but on the bright side at least you know not to go their again and offer them your money more importantly.

Edited by Superego

I have used this sauna for years, though not for the last year, as I have a couple of arrangements. Firstly, if anything, they have an unpleasant habit of siding with the customer against the girl, so if they were arguing with the customer, it was probably unreasonable expectations on his part. Given the layout of the sauna, the discussion would obviously have to take place at the door in earshot of all. Secondly, there have been quite a few instances of punters in this sauna doing a runner, even out the fire exit, asking for money in advance, especially as you bizarrely claime to be a new customer is hardly unreasonable. As you pointed out, if you had checked yourself how many girls were free, this would not have happened. After a similiar experience, at that dump scorpios, I always check beforehand. As a general rule, Blair st, is one of the good things about living in Edinburgh. I strongly suspect the guy on the desk was kenny, he is a bit of a tosser, and could well have handled your complaints a bit more diplomatically.

sorry to hear it Bob, I dont go to a parlour where they expect you to pay part of the money up front like that, for the reason that I might not see what im looking for, and especially if I didnt know that any of the girls were available, its an easy mistake to make thinking that there will always be a lady waiting in a parlour especially when there is 5 working the place, so I can see why you were upset at having a time issue.

When someone complains in earshot, warning bells start to ring for me, and I assume that if im a newbie or dont know anyone, then its not a good sign, as it shows that the receptionist is not one to listen to customer complaints, after all it does take a bit of nerve to complain in the parlour when you are a lone voice speaking out about an employee of the parlour, so hearing that would make many a guy think its not going to work here, and ask for the entrance fee back.

The third point I dont see a problem with, after all you agreed to go with the girl after a polite introduction to her, it was only because she asked for the money that you decided not to go through with it, but you have your rights to walk out if you were treated unfairly, like saying you have to suffer the consequences if your a new customer, thats wrong, we should all be treated well as a paying customer.

I dont think you have much to go on apart from the fact you were made to wait longer than expected, and were in earshot of a complaint which the manager did not take responsability for, and basically treated you like shit.

You did right to walk mate, but I dont think its going to get anything done to right to other forums or mention it if you ever return to what seems like a parlour for the passing trade.

Edited by spklors

Like pooter I have spent a lot of money in this place over the years, to the point I know most of the girls and would consider one of the owners a friend. Its gone from a ridiculously busy parlour to one that is struggling to keep its best girls, some have moved on to pastures new and as a result you have the usual influx of romanian/hungarian girls who stay for a month and that tends to have an effect on the level of service, and word quickly gets around.

I know there was a quasi-rebellion a few months ago as they would always have 8 girls on every shift, with money tight there were sometimes as few as 10 customers in a shift and with the popular girls getting the lions share there were a lot of unhappy staff. They have dropped the girls per shift to 6 (one probably failed to turn up the day you were in) and even then there is normally a constant 3 in the waiting room as it is seldom really busy, I think you have been unlucky as I have hardly ever had to wait unless it was for a specific lady.

In terms of having to pay beforehand, it is pretty normal if they dont know your face, when i was in there a lot 2-3 times per week there wasnt a week went by that someone didn't skip out without paying the girls, it really does happen a lot due to the layout of the place as the guy goes to get changed as the girl freshens up herself or the room, I have done it myself by mistake and then had to drive back to much embarrassment and winding up from the girls, (cost me a bag of cookies from Starbucks at top of the street!)

As for Kenny (tallish guy, well spoken) or Scott (milky bar kid lookalike who bullies the girls) they can both be a bit arsey and there is no excuse for this, and I reckon the owners would like to know how your visit went.

However in terms of the argument with the customer you never know whats been said. Due to their guaranteed OWO policy,

girls must do it or face a fine it can sometimes cause hassle if that guy drops his pants and his knob is minging, smelly, leaking pus, unwashed etc... would you wanna wrap your laughing gear round it for £30-£40? (by the time they pay the house for you).

My point is you just never know, what I would do is call them on 0131 226 2114 and have a word with Cathy the owner, be calm and make your point, she will probably waive the door fee on your next visit if you ask nicely.

Edited by facialmaniac

I'm sympathetic to the poor experience. This is an expensive hobby and it is all about the experience - and all elements contribute. Can understand how you feel and it is not good. Grumpy at the beginning seldom turns into a great punt. You were right to walk.

But I dont understand the pay in advance thing. Pay in advance is the norm, right? Are edinburgh sauna's a different breed to English parlour, agency and Indy's?

I think that the main learning point from this Bob is never punt whilst in a hurry like that. I could never enjoy a punt knowing I was on a schedule to miss a train if an overrun occured. Stressful or what?

Also, I have never been to a parlour where paying at the end has been an option. Surely it is the norm, especially with new faces. Occasionally I meet an indie for the first time who is happy to do the paperwork at the end, but that is unusual, rightly so.

Other than that, my sympathies for your poor experience. Better luck next time.

as others have said, paying in advance is normal. and common sense on the girl's part. so i am struggling to see why this upset you so much? i certainly would never see a client without payment upfront, even if i knew them well. that would be daft.

i get that their attitudes upset you, which makes sense. but not the payment thing.

Paying in advance is like getting the business side of things out of the way, I think what the problem was.

1 The guy only had a short time to wait untill his train left.

2 He was kept waiting for a lot longer than he was informed.

3 He had to pay a £20 entrance fee.

4 Customer complaints should be private, and not for anyone in reeption to hear.

5 There was no trust of him because he had not been there for a few years.

Always risky too punt with a limited time window. You arrive stressed, get stressed in the room, live and learn.

I think that the main learning point from this Bob is never punt whilst in a hurry like that. I could never enjoy a punt knowing I was on a schedule to miss a train if an overrun occured. Stressful or what?

Also, I have never been to a parlour where paying at the end has been an option. Surely it is the norm, especially with new faces. Occasionally I meet an indie for the first time who is happy to do the paperwork at the end, but that is unusual, rightly so.

Other than that, my sympathies for your poor experience. Better luck next time.

Great advice Kantos. Personally i wouldnt pay an entrance fee nowadays either as thats what the OP mentions he did. If this means a non-refundable amount which gives you access to looking at the WGs and if you decide you dont fancy any of them and leave but dont get the £20 back, thats not how i operate. This used to happen in Saunas in London years ago and i did pay an entrance fee a number of times but i really want to see the WGs in the flesh in person before i part with my cash now. The only exclusion to that is parties, one i go to i have to pay the £60 for 3 hours on entrance without having seen the WGs but i would know at least enough of them from the rota the provider posts up so if there wasnt enough i fancied that i had already punted with i wouldnt be going in the first place.

My advice to punters is never part with your money until you have the actual WG you wish to punt with in front of you. Some Parlours complain about guys coming in having a look round and leaving, possibly to then have a wank, or indeed definitely to have a wank from what i have read, so charge an entrance fee (i have never been charged one myself though that i can recall), these arseholes do genuine punters no favours but it wont change my modus which suits me. :)

Edited by smiths

Like pooter I have spent a lot of money in this place over the years, to the point I know most of the girls and would consider one of the owners a friend. Its gone from a ridiculously busy parlour to one that is struggling to keep its best girls, some have moved on to pastures new and as a result you have the usual influx of romanian/hungarian girls who stay for a month and that tends to have an effect on the level of service, and word quickly gets around.

I know there was a quasi-rebellion a few months ago as they would always have 8 girls on every shift, with money tight there were sometimes as few as 10 customers in a shift and with the popular girls getting the lions share there were a lot of unhappy staff. They have dropped the girls per shift to 6 (one probably failed to turn up the day you were in) and even then there is normally a constant 3 in the waiting room as it is seldom really busy, I think you have been unlucky as I have hardly ever had to wait unless it was for a specific lady.

In terms of having to pay beforehand, it is pretty normal if they dont know your face, when i was in there a lot 2-3 times per week there wasnt a week went by that someone didn't skip out without paying the girls, it really does happen a lot due to the layout of the place as the guy goes to get changed as the girl freshens up herself or the room, I have done it myself by mistake and then had to drive back to much embarrassment and winding up from the girls, (cost me a bag of cookies from Starbucks at top of the street!)

As for Kenny (tallish guy, well spoken) or Scott (milky bar kid lookalike who bullies the girls) they can both be a bit arsey and there is no excuse for this, and I reckon the owners would like to know how your visit went.

However in terms of the argument with the customer you never know whats been said. Due to their guaranteed OWO policy,

girls must do it or face a fine it can sometimes cause hassle if that guy drops his pants and his knob is minging, smelly, leaking pus, unwashed etc... would you wanna wrap your laughing gear round it for £30-£40? (by the time they pay the house for you).

My point is you just never know, what I would do is call them on 0131 226 2114 and have a word with Cathy the owner, be calm and make your point, she will probably waive the door fee on your next visit if you ask nicely.

I dont imagine he will be returning to get £20 off the door fee that i certainly wouldnt pay nowadays, pay for access to a brothel, no chance.

This sauna usually refunds entrance fee if you explain you do dont have time to wait for a girl, or at least gives a future entrance free, I actually have a refund card in my wallet. Dont have a prob with entrance fees, these places have to make a living, and you have to discourage the sightseers, especially in edinburgh, full of students and stag parties, timewasters to a man.

This sauna usually refunds entrance fee if you explain you do dont have time to wait for a girl, or at least gives a future entrance free, I actually have a refund card in my wallet. Dont have a prob with entrance fees, these places have to make a living, and you have to discourage the sightseers, especially in edinburgh, full of students and stag parties, timewasters to a man.

What if you dont fancy ANY of the WGs on offer once you see them and wish to leave, do you get it back then?

What if you dont fancy ANY of the WGs on offer once you see them and wish to leave, do you get it back then?

Not at this sauna,and its made clear at the door, commercially its madness for a sauna to offer a come in and have a look policy. There was a sauna that offered this, angels in Rose st, now closed, and possibly the one at the bottom of Dundas st, .

Not at this sauna,and its made clear at the door, commercially its madness for a sauna to offer a come in and have a look policy. There was a sauna that offered this, angels in Rose st, now closed, and possibly the one at the bottom of Dundas st, .

Thanks for that, i wouldnt be prepared to do this.

I think all of the points raised on here are good - thanks for that.

As I said in the OP, I know I made mistakes on this, too. I did have a tight window, but I've done it before and was probably lucky to get away with it. As far as the paying up front goes, I don't have an issue with this, in principle, and I've always done it with indies, but it was just the way it was said, on top of everything else. And also the fact that everytime I've been there before (although not for years), I've gone to the locker room after, the WG's followed and I've paid her there and then. I would never dream of doing a runner with a can of coke, so it narks me that people can't see how honest I am just by looking at me. :)

Facialmaniac, from your descriptions, it sounds like it was Scott who was working that day. He did seem a bit of an arse when arguing with the other customer. But, at the end of the day I've lost £20 which is nothing in the scheme of things.

It's such a shame, because two of my best punts ever were at Blair Street. Tammy and Nene. Both my idea of 'perfect' and both lovely. Really lovely. Hey-ho!

"BLAIR" Street - I would have thought that the very name Blair would have been a clue that you're likely to be ripped off financially ! Some things never change as we now know to our cost.

Have been going to Blair Street for MANY years (fondly remember Ciri, Tammy, Daisy) but revisited last weekend for the first time in a while. There were NO familiar faces, so as far as anyone knew, I was a first timer.

Paying an entrance fee is something you expect in Edinburgh saunas - back in the day when there were Glasgow saunas it was always the way there too (officially, to give you access to the facilities) so why anyone would object to that is a mystery to me. AFAIK Dundas Street (and, possibly its associated establishments Gentle Touch & Paradise) are the only ones that don't charge for admission.

Again, It has ALWAYS been the practice at Blair St to pay the lady AFTER the punt, in the changing room. The same at London St, Scorpio, Carol's and most other saunas I have ever been to in Edinburgh or Glasgow. The exception is when you have gone to the room to undress and shower (as you do at Dundas St) or if you are given a bag for your valuables (remember New Blythswood?)

Last Saturday the routine was exactly as I remembered and there was no question of me being asked for the girl's cash up front. I did overhear just after I arrived when a girl who was on her way to the rooms downstairs with a client was being reminded to make sure she got his money - so clients not paying (or girls forgetting to ask?) is certainly an issue. However this was never mentioned directly to me and I paid when I returned to the changing room while dressing. There was no hassle, the girl just waited discreetly outside till I handed the cash over.

As for number of girls available, I saw five - the one who was picked while I was undressing, three in the waiting room and a fourth who was just going off shift (she was the hottest of the five, unfortunately. There may have been others already with clients, I didn't ask.

I was 100% satisfied with the state and facilities of the place (compared to Dundas St which I visited quite frequently towards the end of last year and which could be described as a bit dingy). It is certainly NOT a shithole as snogman1 suggests.

I was also very happy with the service I received and, if not for the time and distance involved for me to get to Edinburgh, I'd be there again tomorrow.

The experience described is very different from mine at Blair Street which when I have gone for the festival most Augusts has been my parlour of choice for a few years. The entrance fee is common to all Scottish saunas and many English ones, and I think no Scottish sauna has ever required money up front (happens in some English ones). Sad if it has gone downhill due to too many girls on a shift, or for some other reason.

I'm not going to the festival this year so cannot report back- some event involving a Mr Bolt and others has been my summer break in the UK.

Almost the complete opposite to my experience of Blair Street during my one and only visit almost exactly 12 months before yours.

I too was also working to a tight schedule in my case needing to catch a train from Waverley to London but I just about had time for an hour's session before dashing back to check out and make my way downhill to the station on foot.

I used to work a lot in Edinburgh in the mid to late 90s, was a regular at Scorpios and Carols and tried most of the others at least once but never ventured into the Old Town for punting purposes. Blair Street appealed as I was staying near the Castle for a change and it was only a few minutes stroll from my hotel rather than the cab rides that I was accustomed to taking from the Balmoral/Caledonian.

The milky bar kid I found warm and welcoming on reception when I arrived and, when I told him that it was my first time at his establishment, helpfully suggested a young lady who would pull out the stops for me. And he was right - she was absolutely gorgeous but then again so were the other 5 ladies sitting in the waiting area at the time all vying to put me at my ease.

I went with his suggestion, solely because I find natural blondes irresistable and, yes, she did go the extra mile. I can't recall whether I was asked to pay up front but if I was, I certainly didn't get the impression that it was in case I legged it.

Sounds to me as if you were in the wrong place at the wrong time and probably got the sharp end of heightened emotions.

I was a Blair Street virgin until today. I had heard loads about the place over the years & always wondered if it would be as good as it's rep was.

So I had a window of opportunity today, and grabbed it. From the descriptions, Scott was on, quite friendly when I arrived, mentioned I hadn't been before etc.

The place was dead when I arrived, not a single punter there other than me. I showered and had a quick shave, not the best facilities, but perfectly acceptable. One thing though, I would have much preferred to have a bag for valuables, and I prefere a robe to a towel. Had a 5 minute sauna before heading into the lounge. There were 7 girls on today, several foreign girls, and OMG I couldn't believe it - every single one was gorgeous. I have been to parlours previously where you get 1 or 2 lovelies & some average lookers but today it was 1st class, stunning.

A Scottish girl did the intros, I was nervous as hell in among all these honeys, and I can't remember even half of the names. ( Milena, Paula, I think were 2 ). The girl doing the intros turned out to be the legendary Daisy, who I have been reading about for years. No choice to be made now then, so I went with the older head. (To be fair she was very attractive - proper MILF).

We had a right good time in the room & she was so apologetic as I tried to extend the time only for her to find someone else had booked her so we had to finish off there & then.

Proper good punt, best in ages, and my 1st in a parlour for about 10 years, after using various random indies with varying degrees of success. Welcome back Gaz!

My ratings:-

Attractiveness of girls 10/10

Facilities 6/10

Room 10/10 The all round mirrors were fantastic, and when I happened to look up & see the ceiling mirror, what a sight, me with this absolute honey crawling about on top of me - heaven!

Daisy 11/10 So friendly & such a turn-on. A real woman. Real conversation for once too.

All in all a very positive experience for me, and I don't mind paying the door fee. If you are serious about using them then it is surely normal to pay admittace money? I was not sure about when to pay the girl, so I just paid her as soon as we got into the room. £20 for the door, £50 to the girl, decent prices too.

Without knowng the parlour or having ever worked in one, it sounds like they are feeling the pinch to me and with Xmas coming up, they are bound to be under pressure. Everyone needs a little extra money at this time of year and due to the holiday season there are less clients to go around. It might well be that they have less girls on the books, as it's pointless them being there without the work and then if you do get a flux it's going to appear very busy. This is also a reason why they would be extra cautious with payment, as there are unscrupelous men out there.

I personally think the man at reception handled the situation badly. It sounds like he was generous with the truth about time of availability in the hope to keep you there and then raised voices with an arguement is unprofessional. He should have been able to keep the complaint in check with good customer service and I'm afraid telling them you were new in the hope for a 'better service' back fired on you and that was your fault for being dishonest. You likely felt annoyed that you were not able to argue that you had used the place before and were trust worthy, because you had just lied.

The moral of this story? If you are tight for time, call ahead. Then if you are told ladies are free and they are not, you know it was not your fault and you have a geniune complaint to make. Oh and be honest, as it doesn't pay to be otherwise.

After a similiar experience, at that dump scorpios, I always check beforehand. As a general rule, Blair st, is one of the good things about living in Edinburgh.

Takes all sorts, I suppose, but, I'd choose Scorpio over Blair Street any day, even if it is quite a way from Princes St station.