Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
soldierx

Problems after resetting PC to factory settings

8 posts in this topic

I have an old Time PC, Athalon XP2200 processor that was incredibly slow and prone to freezing so I've used the supplied reload CD to reset it to the factory defaults. All is ok, I've re-installed drivers for WLAN, printer, updated Firefox etc and it now runs at a sensible speed.

The only problem is that to re-install Office 2007 and Itunes among others I need XP service pack 2 & 3 installed. I've installed SP1 from a CD I had but I can't access the Microsoft website to get 2 & 3. Firefox and IE both give me the "page cannot be diplayed" error message as though there was no internet connection. Every other website is fine, just MS.

I've downloaded the service packs as Self Extracting Cabinet files on a laptop and transferred them via a USB stick and run the files but to no effect. All that's happened is I have a sub-folder in windows labelled I386 with 400+MB of stuff in it and I still get the "need service pack update" error message when I try and install office and Itunes.

Additionally, the automatic updates option is no loger highlighted so I can't select it and get the updates that way, and I can no longer find my security settings to check my firewall etc to see if that is the problem with the MS website.

Any ideas? :confused:

Cabinet files are containers/packaging like zip files, not install programs. If you look in the i386 folder you should find an install program. Run that.

Any idea what that file is called? There are about 30 executables!

Soldierx: I did not any problems to acess MS website to download SP2 and SP3, so can't understand what is the exact problem is from your end.

I see, that you managed to acess it from your other computer/laptop, downloaded and saved files on USB memory stick, so you can transfer it to your computer which you restored to factory setting. I doubt it will work that way. (it might to, but with a lot of messing about).You need to download Sp packs directly to your computer!

If everything else fails, you can order SP2 and Sp3 pack on CD directly from Microsoft, which is about £5 each. Here is the link to order SP3 which you probably know about anyway, and in the same way for SP2.

I wouldn't bother with SP3, it is a load of shit.

I wouldn't bother with SP3, it is a load of shit.

You are a plonker, Clarence the Bird. :confused: Nowt to do, whatever its shit or not.

If you restore the comp running XP to he factory setting (which can stretch back as far as to 2002, when Xp was released..in Sodierx case), many recent updated programs would not work with it, unless you install MS SP1/SP2/SP3.

You are a plonker, Clarence the Bird. :confused: Nowt to do, whatever its shit or not.

If you restore the comp running XP to he factory setting (which can stretch back as far as to 2002, when Xp was released..in Sodierx case), many recent updated programs would not work with it, unless you install MS SP1/SP2/SP3.

I may be a plonker, but I still stand by my statement that SP3 is a load of shite.

I hope you have more luck finding your vaginal cable this weekend :D