Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smiths

Giff Gaff.

16 posts in this topic

I am interested in posters personal experiences with Giff Gaff with both their phone packages/service and/or their Mobile Broadband.

I have read their forum and a number of people were and have complained about both. Both their phone and MB packages are seemingly good VFM.

800 minutes for £20 or 1500 for £25 a month plus unlimited texts and internet and free freephone numbers makes them tempting to me.

I know they piggyback on the o2 network but will a o2 top-up voucher work or do you need a Giff Gaff only voucher and have you found shops that sell the other networks vouchers stock Giff Gaff? I know of course you can pay by Card as well. Any information much appreciated.

I am interested in posters personal experiences with Giff Gaff with both their phone packages/service and/or their Mobile Broadband.

I have read their forum and a number of people were and have complained about both. Both their phone and MB packages are seemingly good VFM.

800 minutes for £20 or 1500 for £25 a month plus unlimited texts and internet and free freephone numbers makes them tempting to me.

I know they piggyback on the o2 network but will a o2 top-up voucher work or do you need a Giff Gaff only voucher and have you found shops that sell the other networks vouchers stock Giff Gaff? I know of course you can pay by Card as well. Any information much appreciated.

I use em

they are internet only so no vouchers. you pay with a card to buy a months 'goody bag'. you can do auto rebuy so they automatically renew the goody bags.

only way of paying is with a debit/credit card online so if you need anonymity then praps not for you (Smiths never said if this was for his punting phone)

Service is OK most of the time. They did have an outage earlier this year, and they were affected by the O2 problem recently. the internet works for 3g fine. and if the person you are calling is on giff gaff too its free.

check the packages match your usage.

hope helps

I use em

they are internet only so no vouchers. you pay with a card to buy a months 'goody bag'. you can do auto rebuy so they automatically renew the goody bags.

only way of paying is with a debit/credit card online so if you need anonymity then praps not for you (Smiths never said if this was for his punting phone)

Service is OK most of the time. They did have an outage earlier this year, and they were affected by the O2 problem recently. the internet works for 3g fine. and if the person you are calling is on giff gaff too its free.

hope helps

Thanks, much appreciated.

Smiths: Gif Gaf its a very poor VFM at the present. They use to be maybe 2 years ago, but not anymore.

If you read my thread which is just down bellow you can get 200 xnetwork min, 200 texts, and 0.5 GB of data per month for one off payment of £5 (Please note: its not monthly, its forwever, or at least until Ovivo joint going to go down the pan, lol).

I understand 200 min and 200 texts might be not enough for you. However, once you sign with them, give them a call and they will offfer you variety kind of plans, without contract, but you need to top it up throught theirs website. They not sell top up cards throught the shops. (Giff Gaff does not do either)

For £10 monthly: 750 min, 500 texts, 1GB of data. I don't know about free calls to 0800/0845/0844, etc numbers. Ask them. Gif Gaff does not provide free calls to those numbers either.

If you top up with £20 every month: you will get: 3000 min, unlimited text, and 2.5GB of data.

Those rates are not adverised on theirs website. You need to call them, after you singned up for theirs SIM. If you flutter your eyelashes, they might offfer you even better rates, lol. I am sure you are perfectly capable to do it. ;-)

Smiths: Gif Gaf its a very poor VFM at the present. They use to be maybe 2 years ago, but not anymore.

If you read my thread which is just down bellow you can get 200 xnetwork min, 200 texts, and 0.5 GB of data per month for one off payment of £5 (Please note: its not monthly, its forwever, or at least until Ovivo joint going to go down the pan, lol).

I understand 200 min and 200 texts might be not enough for you. However, once you sign with them, give them a call and they will offfer you variety kind of plans, without contract, but you need to top it up throught theirs website. They not sell top up cards throught the shops. (Giff Gaff does not do either)

For £10 monthly: 750 min, 500 texts, 1GB of data. I don't know about free calls to 0800/0845/0844, etc numbers. Ask them. Gif Gaff does not provide free calls to those numbers either.

If you top up with £20 every month: you will get: 3000 min, unlimited text, and 2.5GB of data.

Those rates are not adverised on theirs website. You need to call them, after you singned up for theirs SIM. If you flutter your eyelashes, they might offfer you even better rates, lol. I am sure you are perfectly capable to do it. ;-)

Thanks i will have a look. Freephone calls 0800/0500 and 0808 are free on Giff Gaff but its not a must have as i can get them free anyway through qxcall.

Its the minutes i am interested in the main so the 3000 you mention for £20 sounds very good to me.

Firstly thanks for the info given. Ovivo only offer their deals on Smart Phones at present not basic mobiles i use due to the ads which is how they make money on this, or hope to, but they will suit my son and probably some of his mates who uses such Phones. Fantastic deal Rada.

Talk Mobile werent suitable but thanks Bert.

A company i did find is called the Utility Warehouse at www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk who you have to pay a membership fee of between £1.50p and £3.50p a month to access their services, they offer a number of services including SIM deals and Mobile Broadband. One package phone wise is called Value 5000 which offers 5000 minutes and 10000 texts a month for £20 so £21.50p with the basic membership fee. Can only do it by Direct Debit though so i was told which doesnt suit me. You need to very carefully read their Terms and Conditions as there are a number of catches to be aware of. Uses T-Mobile network. The guy i spoke to was very abrupt. Worth checking out for various Utilities.

Thanks Cov regarding Giff Gaff, upon reading their huge Community Forum a number of people have posted about problems they have had with them, that and the lack of phone support/services and the deal i mention below which is a case of the devil i know has made me decide to stay where i am for the moment.

In the end after being told by a number of different staff that the Bundle i had had the most minutes on PAYG that they offered a manager "found" a better Bundle for me when i said i going to Giff Gaff. So got 300 minutes a month more at nearly £5 a month less plus this month free as an apology and staying where i am for now.

Edited by smiths

I use em

hope helps

correction. giff gaff do do vouchers. Its on their webby. Never needed the facility so never researched it.

Firstly thanks for the info given. Ovivo only offer their deals on Smart Phones at present not basic mobiles i use due to the ads which is how they make money on this, or hope to, but they will suit my son and probably some of his mates who uses such Phones. Fantastic deal Rada.

Talk Mobile werent suitable but thanks Bert.

A company i did find is called the Utility Warehouse at www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk who you have to pay a membership fee of between £1.50p and £3.50p a month to access their services, they offer a number of services including SIM deals and Mobile Broadband. One package phone wise is called Value 5000 which offers 5000 minutes and 10000 texts a month for £20 so £21.50p with the basic membership fee. Can only do it by Direct Debit though so i was told which doesnt suit me. You need to very carefully read their Terms and Conditions as there are a number of catches to be aware of. Uses T-Mobile network. The guy i spoke to was very abrupt. Worth checking out for various Utilities.

Thanks Cov regarding Giff Gaff, upon reading their huge Community Forum a number of people have posted about problems they have had with them, that and the lack of phone support/services and the deal i mention below which is a case of the devil i know has made me decide to stay where i am for the moment.

In the end after being told by a number of different staff that the Bundle i had had the most minutes on PAYG that they offered a manager "found" a better Bundle for me when i said i going to Giff Gaff. So got 300 minutes a month more at nearly £5 a month less plus this month free as an apology and staying where i am for now.

Worth having a read of Hotukdeals.com site in my view because there are some posts about Ovivo being run by someone dodgy, no idea if true obviously but have a look is my advice and make your own mind up. Rada plus another poster on here hasnt had a problem so far so for £5 my son says he will give it a go.

Edited by smiths

Just got my Giff Gaff Sim, it took 2 weeks from when i ordered it to get it through the post, piss poor. Works in my unlocked phone so will top-up if needed. Can use o2 top-up vouchers if the shop hasnt got Giff Gaff ones which no shop i have been in and asked had, obviously alternatively can pay by card if you wish.

Worth having a read of Hotukdeals.com site in my view because there are some posts about Ovivo being run by someone dodgy, no idea if true obviously but have a look is my advice and make your own mind up. Rada plus another poster on here hasnt had a problem so far so for £5 my son says he will give it a go.

Have had it for a month now and no problems. Thanks to Rada for pointing me in the right direction

Have had it for a month now and no problems. Thanks to Rada for pointing me in the right direction

Just spoke to Ovivo, its all changed from 31/8. Read my post on Radas thread below. According to 2 people i spoke to the 200 mins/200 texts deal for existing customers changes on 14/9 to 50 mins/50 texts, and will take effect on the anniversary of when you activated the Sim, or you can take out one of their phone packages which are very similar minutes and text wise to Giff Gaffs.

Edited by smiths

anyone know where i can get a cheapo dongle not on a contract or owt?

I think Maplin sometimes sell these, might be worth investigating.

Check out Moneysavingexpert. If you want an unlocked Dongle so you can use it on any network my advice is to check with the network whether that model number is unlocked or not, many are locked and charge to unlock them or wont unlock them. If you go to an unlocking company it invalidates any warranty.

Giff Gaff use o2 as you know so an o2 Dongle will work so they say on Giff Gaff and they are the cheapest for Mobile Broadband apart from Ovivo who piggy back on Vodafone.

New Dongles start from around £20, you can get some with some data already loaded which are called starter kits for a bit more. How much data do you think you will be using per month? Most networks on PAYG offer only 1-3GBs per month typically costing £10-15 but you can top-up as much as you like. Only Three and T-Mobile offer more GB packages i think. Three being better VFM in my view, but bear in mind o2 at present offer double data on every third top-up which makes them quite competitive, this is an on-going offer but not permanent though.

With some if not all networks you need to get the blocked adult content lifted, with Giff Gaff you have to give them your passport or driving licence number, with o2 i went to an o2 shop with them.

Edited by smiths