Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
lou4fun

How Safe

18 posts in this topic

Is your computer or phone. After talking to a client who uses George Mc magazines and him explaining how dangerous computers are I wonder just how much damage they can cause.

I mean we call them personal computers but are they? Children use them, friends pop in and want to google something. Lets face it a lot of us can operate them but do we know what we are doing. I stay in hotels alot of the time and obviously use there wifi, I was having trouble and the receptionist came over to see if she could help, my computer uses vista and when you go to a new tab it shows all your most used sites, hardly easy to hide when your not prepared and my last viewed site was my own along with 10 other prostitute related sites, not the best start to booking in.

How many of us have been amazed at how small children know their way around a computer or phone like they had had owned one for 20 years. How many high profile cases are built on the information found on a computer. How long will it be before the technology is out there for computer police to investigate you online, access your computer and bare all your sins.

Food for thought

Lou4fun:D

No-one touches my machine!It's in a tiny, pokey room behind a closed door I'm quite possessive over it I certainly don't have children go near.

Same here. It's my computer only.

I have learned my lesson on this subject the hard way.. My ex cleaner and child minder used my pc while I was out a few years ago without my permission, found a load of stuff about my work and told everyone she crossed paths with who knew me. Ultimate betrayal. The repercussions of this were extremely upsetting for me and my family. I never showed my face so I denied it up to a point but the damage was done, we had to move and it affected my child too as this nasty woman told her child, who in turn spoke to other children at the school too. Why would you do that? She was making a fortune off me too - through cleaning and child minding, tax free mind, she was on benefits to and living with a bloke. I treated her too well and she got greedy, and in the end I found out she was helping herself to my stuff as was her child, even stealing my daughters things and running up my phone bill too. Some people are C*NTS.

Now my laptop had encrypted mail, heavyduty passwords etc. Just in case.

Same here. It's my computer only.

Me too. Nobody else allowed to use it. When it's replaced, the HD will be removed and disposed of in tiny pieces.

i surf using firefox, set up to erase everything the minute I shut it down.

Highly recommended.

No one else uses my PC -------- however there is nothing on my PC that could cause me problems with the police. Yes, they would see I am a punter and sex tourist but neither of those things are illegal. :cool:;)

use google chrome, and use ingognito mode.

or use firefox version that runs off a data stick.

then nowt is left on your computer.

but your isp will be logging your sites.

then run ccleaner to zap all the old stuff on your computer, and also a registry cleaner. run them regularly.

and make sure any pix and punting related data are embedded in a password protected excel sheet. dont save punting related urls in favourites but in a password protected spreadsheet.

simples

Not only are PCs potentially unsafe, but you need to be very careful about your cellphone too.

This recent article in the New Scientist shows that letting your 'phone out of your hands is very unwise. Residual information is still there, regardless of a simcard being destroyed, so the trend for recycling your device isn't something I'll be following.

Not only are PCs potentially unsafe, but you need to be very careful about your cellphone too.

This recent article in the New Scientist shows that letting your 'phone out of your hands is very unwise. Residual information is still there, regardless of a simcard being destroyed, so the trend for recycling your device isn't something I'll be following.

Yep, just like hard drives, sledge and hammer is the best approach at sell by date;)

I have learned my lesson on this subject the hard way.. My ex cleaner and child minder used my pc while I was out a few years ago without my permission, found a load of stuff about my work and told everyone she crossed paths with who knew me. Ultimate betrayal. The repercussions of this were extremely upsetting for me and my family. I never showed my face so I denied it up to a point but the damage was done, we had to move and it affected my child too as this nasty woman told her child, who in turn spoke to other children at the school too. Why would you do that? She was making a fortune off me too - through cleaning and child minding, tax free mind, she was on benefits to and living with a bloke. I treated her too well and she got greedy, and in the end I found out she was helping herself to my stuff as was her child, even stealing my daughters things and running up my phone bill too. Some people are C*NTS.

Now my laptop had encrypted mail, heavyduty passwords etc. Just in case.

Gawd Olivia that is horrible! I remember reading a little about it when you mentioned being outed but had no idea of the full and awful details. Repaying your generosity with such spite and malice is one thing but to actually hurt your child is beyond comprehension! It does highlight so that while you can try and keep your online presence as safe as possible, you also need to ensure that no one can get near your actual laptop and make it as hard as possible to actually log in.

My laptop is password protected and I live alone and I don’t let anyone else use my laptop. You get some people that always try and borrow something or save money by using your things. My former neighbour used to pop around and use my old PC and then was hard to get rid off as she came around non-stop, eating my food and drinking my wine while lecturing me on organic food etc lol. This was before I began floozying but eventually I put a stop to it and suggested to her that she could go to the library or visit an Internet cafe. After that she was not nearly as friendly lol but I had peace. Mind you, it was the same person that kept preaching about the evils of cars that pollute the world etc and slagged of all drivers. However, when I was off to IKEA she was happy to forego her morals. Anyway, I could not let her betray her own principles so told her she could always get a little trailer and cycle there... I grinned to myself as I watched her standing there dumbfounded in the rear mirror while I was off to buy Billy the bookcase!

While I appreciate the concerns and paranoia about how much our Internet use can be monitored, I chuckle at the irony of people who throw out sensitive info in their rubbish without shredding or MI5 employees habitually leaving highly sensitive files on public transport...

Yep, just like hard drives, sledge and hammer is the best approach at sell by date

Yep, but make sure it's a bloody big hammer as THEY :cool: can still piece together bits of the broken circuitry and make it readable...

"Hey, Kenobi! Paranoid much?" :P:D:(

Yep, but make sure it's a bloody big hammer as THEY :cool: can still piece together bits of the broken circuitry and make it readable...

"Hey, Kenobi! Paranoid much?" :P:D:(

You can get free disk clearing programes for the hard drives, run them and then the whole drive is cleaned. Then you can send your machine to charity and they reuse them for schools hospitals etc in africa mexico brazil and them kind of places.

For those of you who (like me) are really protective you could always invest in another disk and use that drive only for your personal stuff then put the communial one in for normal use. Plus in a round about way it wud act as a backup for your operating system.

Yep, but make sure it's a bloody big hammer as THEY can still piece together bits of the broken circuitry and make it readable...

"Hey, Kenobi! Paranoid much?" :cool::P:D

:( Not much!

You can get free disk clearing programes for the hard drives, run them and then the whole drive is cleaned. Then you can send your machine to charity and they reuse them for schools hospitals etc in africa mexico brazil and them kind of places.

For those of you who (like me) are really protective you could always invest in another disk and use that drive only for your personal stuff then put the communial one in for normal use. Plus in a round about way it wud act as a backup for your operating system.

It is worth mentioning here that these discs are not to be used to cover your every day punting traces. They wipe everything on your hard drive, including the operating system. Use them only if giving away or selling the PC.

Desk-top PC connected by wire to the internet, so no issues about wi-fi (Whatever that is!). If it's a wireless connection is there an absolute guarantee that others on nearby computers can't see what you are doing, even if just a freak accident?

I've set up two user profiles [correct technical word?]. I use Profile B for all the 'naughty' stuff. If anyone visits and asks if they can use the internet I fire it up using Profile A, so the only history that shows is innocent stuff. The history and other traces of naughty surfing don't show unless you switch to User B, which is password protected.

Some WGs are happy for me to take photos or short videos during a punt. These get saved straight onto a separate external hard-drive. Thus if my computer goes down and has to go in for repair there's no risk of my private piccies being copied. The last WG I visited has just had her computer malfunction and is faced with this very problem- all her web-site pics etc are on her internal hard-drive so she is reluctant for it to go out of hr sight.

And really looking forward.......... I have stated in my will where all my hard drives can be found, with instructions for them to be physically destroyed "as they contain personal files of no lasting value."

I hate to be the party pooper and all that, but even after you have erased and run disc cleaning programmes it is still possible to recover info from a hard drive, the only safe way is to remove the hard drive and take a sledgehamer to it and to break it into as many pieces as is physically possible.

"then run ccleaner to zap all the old stuff on your computer, and also a registry cleaner. run them regularly."

It's a lot more complex than this - but ccleaner (crap cleaner) is excellent. Running a registry cleaner isn't necessary to remove cached data - this is for something else.

I suggest also using a brill program from Steve Gould called CleanUp! (Google it).

Us this and CCleaner in tandem.

Remember - it's what is being monitored in terms of your ISP connection that really matters.