Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr DivineMK

Light at the end of the tunnel?

19 posts in this topic

Have you begun to notice a change in your personal or business economy for the better?

Not referring solely on this industry but clients businesses and other business interests WG's may have.

Since the schools went back in September we have noticed an increase in clients booking longer or more costly appointments, groups, MMF's, FFM's and there seems to be a general feel good factor within the patrons of HoD at least. Having spoken to clients in both Milton Keynes and our South Kensington establishments it would appear that they are beginning to bounce back out of the gloom and enjoying some 'extra' cash once more.

Friends in the building trade are more positive now, however a girl who works for us in London and has a real job in the service sector has just been made redundant so there is obviously still problems in certain areas.

Is this just a regional thing or are you noticing a more positive attitude in your own line of business, in your part of the country.

I think the fact that clients who take advantage discounts are now giving the girl the difference as a tip is a good an indicator as ever.

For my business there was a very sudden and pronounced increase in business at the start of September, which has continued since then. Having been forced into making cutbacks earlier in the year this has now put me in a better financial position than before the downturn. I'm looking forward to spending a little of the surplus income :cool:

Have you begun to notice a change in your personal or business economy for the better?

I'm not sure whether it is a change for the better or not, but I have noticed a definite change, it would appear that more people are staying home and having their meals delivered rather than going out and popping in for a pick-up/takeaway, this trend is even more pronounced when "significant" evening football matches are broadcast on the television, up until about 2 years ago deliveries were rare if non-existent on those nights, now it is extremely busy on these nights as it appears that people nip in to Tesco, buy cheap booze and watch the match at home, it seems as if the "big screen" days for pubs is over, in fact one local pub didn't even bother to switch their big screen on for the last England match.

Business always picks up in September as children are back at school and the hot sunny days have disappeared.

Must admit that the pull to go down the pub or out for a meal is not as strong as it used to be. much prefer to stay in doors with a few bootles of wine and home cooked curry.

much cheaper than takeaway and pubs. few friends round and you can all chat and smoke in the same room....:cool:

Business always picks up in September as children are back at school and the hot sunny days have disappeared.

I'm well used to the summer months being quiet, but in the past this has meant business being down maybe 5-10% on an average month. This year it was more like 45-50% :cool:

For my business there was a very sudden and pronounced increase in business at the start of September.

There is a simple explanation for that, the school holidays have ended and far more people are back in the country.

Anyone who thinks the current recession is over is simply living in a dream world ------- Domino's Pizza recently reported record profits which proves that people are still cutting back and not eating out so much. :cool:

There is a simple explanation for that, the school holidays have ended and far more people are back in the country.

I've been in the same business for 20 years, so I'm used to a bit of seasonal variation, but this was something else.

Anyone who thinks the current recession is over is simply living in a dream world ------- Domino's Pizza recently reported record profits which proves that people are still cutting back and not eating out so much. :cool:

I suspect you're right. When the new tighter lending restrictions start percolating through in the new year I think we'll see an effect on house prices and that will affect everything else.

I wonder if a lot of the recent tentative rebound has been a little wishful thinking. People talking up the markets.

I reckon the only light at the end of the present tunnel we are in, is a train ...... ! Without exception, all the business people I know are experiencing considerable problems in terms of reduced turnover. The businesses vary enormously in their type and size and I am sure none of the people concerned are crying wolf.

It's to be expected that someone's downfall may be someone else's opportunity but there is no sign here of anything other than an overall contraction of business.

Iam up North, And still Buisness is slower than my October months usually are.

Of course this is down to the Economic Situation at the moment, But I must admit September and October have been at least 40% better than July and August so iam happy about that.

Usually Xmas time is real Jolly for all,Great time for us Girls and we get to put a nice xmas bonus smile on The Guys faces, So i am looking forward to December month. x .

I reckon the only light at the end of the present tunnel we are in, is a train ...... ! Without exception, all the business people I know are experiencing considerable problems in terms of reduced turnover. The businesses vary enormously in their type and size and I am sure none of the people concerned are crying wolf.

It's to be expected that someone's downfall may be someone else's opportunity but there is no sign here of anything other than an overall contraction of business.

I'm of the same view. The recent news about this quarters GDP figures confirm it :P. We've a long way to go.

I am a wage slave but am paid a decent salary for what I do. As I have mentioned a couple of times before, I am actually better off than I have been for a while because (through happy circumstance rather than judgement) I have a large tracker mortgage and my interest payments are 90% less than they were 12 months ago. Part of the excess gets ploughed into savings and part funds my hobby.

Trouble is, there are clouds on the horizon. My company is in severe financial difficulty and significant job cuts are looming. As long as I keep my job, everything will remain rosy. I don't give much for my prospects (punting or career-wise) if the big R arrives. Ah well, onwards and upwards :cool:.

I'm of the same view. The recent news about this quarters GDP figures confirm it :D. We've a long way to go.

I am a wage slave but am paid a decent salary for what I do. As I have mentioned a couple of times before, I am actually better off than I have been for a while because (through happy circumstance rather than judgement) I have a large tracker mortgage and my interest payments are 90% less than they were 12 months ago. Part of the excess gets ploughed into savings and part funds my hobby.

Trouble is, there are clouds on the horizon. My company is in severe financial difficulty and significant job cuts are looming. As long as I keep my job, everything will remain rosy. I don't give much for my prospects (punting or career-wise) if the big R arrives. Ah well, onwards and upwards :P.

That latter parts of your post represent an all too frequent story at the moment. A bit of a fools paradise due to low interest rates and uncertainty over employment; it provides a mixed picture that has people fearful and hesitant about spending on anything other than essentials.

In lighter moments I think of a few years in the future when all this is a distant memory ... mm, who's fooling who now?:cool:

I sell mail order via the net - 50% of my turnover is EU.

When the recession began to bite my business was on its last legs and I was scared. I pulled my finger out and took some risks - now business is booming - even well before christmas. I literally haven't enough time to run it all on my own anymore.

It depends on what you are in I suppose, and how hard you are prepared to work. You have to buck the trend - or be swallowed.

For me - the light at the end of the tunnel is already shining strong.

As for working girls - they will do ok if they run a genuine business with a desirable quality product at a competitive price, credit crunch or not. Same as any other business.

As for working girls - they will do ok if they run a genuine business with a desirable quality product at a competitive price, credit crunch or not. Same as any other business.

I agree entirely but sometimes what a girl thinks she is worth is not the same as punters think she is worth. :cool:;)

A lovely girl on Adultw0rk was charging £110 an hour and was getting loads of bookings, she informed me that her rates were going up to £140 an hour, I warned her that her phone may be a lot quieter at £140 an hour.

She ignored my advice but within a week her rates had gone back to normal, it is all about supply and demand, in London and the suburbs it is a buyers market. :P

Not referring solely on this industry but clients businesses and other business interests WG's may have.

Since the schools went back in September we have noticed an increase in clients booking longer or more costly appointments, groups, MMF's, FFM's and there seems to be a general feel good factor within the patrons of HoD at least. Having spoken to clients in both Milton Keynes and our South Kensington establishments it would appear that they are beginning to bounce back out of the gloom and enjoying some 'extra' cash once more.

Friends in the building trade are more positive now, however a girl who works for us in London and has a real job in the service sector has just been made redundant so there is obviously still problems in certain areas.

Is this just a regional thing or are you noticing a more positive attitude in your own line of business, in your part of the country.

I think the fact that clients who take advantage discounts are now giving the girl the difference as a tip is a good an indicator as ever.

While one might deduce your post is merely a marketing ploy (but I hope not), my business is still dogged by a couple of aimless, risk-averse senior managers, who insist on interferring on a day 2 day basis in an area where I have 15 years more experience and knowledge than they do. It's also bugging junior members of staff too. Apart from telling them to eff off to their face, how does one politely tell them to go away?

I would probably agree that the service side of our bussiness has increased since Aug....

But the retail side has slumped to 60%of last year even with us taking a 15% cut in profits:(

Also we have had some very lean months which will take at least 6 very good months to get over .

Ok there were long ques on saturday going to Lakeside and Bluewater but will these shoppers be enough to cover the earlier year losses ??

Also our wonderfull government has increased our bussiness rates by 20% next year as a way of supporting small bussines:rolleyes:

I agree entirely but sometimes what a girl thinks she is worth is not the same as punters think she is worth. :cool:;)

A lovely girl on Adultw0rk was charging £110 an hour and was getting loads of bookings, she informed me that her rates were going up to £140 an hour, I warned her that her phone may be a lot quieter at £140 an hour.

She ignored my advice but within a week her rates had gone back to normal, it is all about supply and demand, in London and the suburbs it is a buyers market. :P

Fair play to her for testing the market - in my business I find it is easy to reduce prices, but very difficult to put them back up; maybe she shouldn't have marketed herself at £110/hr to begin with?

Fair play to her for testing the market - in my business I find it is easy to reduce prices, but very difficult to put them back up; maybe she shouldn't have marketed herself at £110/hr to begin with?

no, he error was putting up the prices a large amount in 1 go.

ease em up by the odd fiver or tenner and few will notice. but a traumatic change will cause resentment and loss od business.

October was the first month for over a year where there was a noticeable pick up in sales. However the sales levels are still down from what I would term good business sales levels and the profit margins are tighter.

Whilst I still expect a second difficult winter, it gives hope that next year could see a much needed sustainable improvement.

Glad to hear you are noticing a general improvement.:mad: