JKay

Laptop Not Updating...

10 posts in this topic

Bought a new laptop, old stock maybe 18 months old, windows 7 installed, no other software.

Set the updates to auto but its not updating, saying something about admin rights but there does not appear to be "admin" in the user list, any ideas?

would it be better to re install 7 and start again?

Bought a new laptop, old stock maybe 18 months old, windows 7 installed, no other software.

Set the updates to auto but its not updating, saying something about admin rights but there does not appear to be "admin" in the user list, any ideas?

would it be better to re install 7 and start again?

I haven't used windows for a longtime so I'm a bit rusty but I think the administrator account for you is hidden on win7 so you need to unhide it.

OPen command prompt then right click and it should given you an option for administrator then type (without the speech marks) "net user administrator /active:yes"

it should say youve been successful or something

then log out and log in again as admin

let me know if that fails

This (cut and paste) from a microsoft guy (the MMC console in the microsoft management console) just do a search for users and groups if it's too confusing

Hi,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Answers!

I recommend you to login as an administrator and try to execute your tasks. If there is no admin account, then enable the built in admin account, create a new admin account and perform the tasks.

You need to disable any security software on your computer and then start your computer with default/inbuilt administrator account and check for the issue.

To start the computer with default administrator account follow the below provided steps.

1. Open the MMC console and select Local Users and Groups. Click Start, type mmc and hit enter to open MMC console.

2. Right-click the Administrator account and select Properties.

The Administrator Properties window appears.

3. On the General tab, clear the Account is Disabled check box.

4. Close the MMC console.

5. Log off, and you will now see the built-in Administrator account log on icon added (enabled) from the log on screen.

You can try booting into safe mode by press F8 when it boots then try an update from safe mode.

not a happy bunny, so called new machine is now suffering from post problems, thats what happens when you just want a low cost lappy that you dont mind getting crappy on site offices.....should have got the nice Sony 17 inch.

not a happy bunny, so called new machine is now suffering from post problems, thats what happens when you just want a low cost lappy that you dont mind getting crappy on site offices.....should have got the nice Sony 17 inch.

What the matter now? If you're willing to use Team Viewer and let an old embittered mentally unstable exwhore on your laptop I can help you remotely. Genuine offer :)

What the matter now? If you're willing to use Team Viewer and let an old embittered mentally unstable exwhore on your laptop I can help you remotely. Genuine offer :)

Thanks for the offer, very kind of you but the Lappy is now dead, during POST it was giving 8 beeps and the screen was grey, so I took it back to the shop and asked for money back which he was not happy about. From what I can make out 8 beeps is graphics problem, anyhow not my problem anymore, he wanted me to take a Sony Lappy plus some cash but I already knew the history of these, they are french layout keyboards, he showed me the differences at the computer fair and to be honest it would have driven me nuts! but they were bloody cheap and I was tempted.

I have to call him at 2pm today and with luck he will have a replacement for me to pick up on Sunday at the fair, got a feeling he will try and pull a fast one and swap out the screen/graphics and say its a different machine but I have written down all the numbers and stuff.

What I think they are doing is selling "Returns" the price is about £50 less than other outlets.

Thanks for the offer, very kind of you but the Lappy is now dead, during POST it was giving 8 beeps and the screen was grey, so I took it back to the shop and asked for money back which he was not happy about. From what I can make out 8 beeps is graphics problem, anyhow not my problem anymore, he wanted me to take a Sony Lappy plus some cash but I already knew the history of these, they are french layout keyboards, he showed me the differences at the computer fair and to be honest it would have driven me nuts! but they were bloody cheap and I was tempted.

I have to call him at 2pm today and with luck he will have a replacement for me to pick up on Sunday at the fair, got a feeling he will try and pull a fast one and swap out the screen/graphics and say its a different machine but I have written down all the numbers and stuff.

What I think they are doing is selling "Returns" the price is about £50 less than other outlets.

I think you'd really be better off asking him to recommend you a decent spec reconditioned one than a cheap 'new' laptop.

with all the going backwards and forwards you have done and will do if there is a problem with your next lappy perhaps your not really saving 50 quid after all.x

with all the going backwards and forwards you have done and will do if there is a problem with your next lappy perhaps your not really saving 50 quid after all.x

Basicly I dont trust the bloke, when I was able to jump on the DLR which stops across the road from the fair it was easy and cheap to visit so when the orginal lappy had to be changed because it was the wrong model as advertised I thought great just turn up and swap but when that played up and he wanted me to leave the lappy with him I was nervous I would never see it again! anyhow he phones to say he has my new lappy, great gives me all the old bollocks about doing burn tests bla bla bla......oh and forgets to load OFFICE as a freebie for the hassle...gets it home, checks the serial numbers and Windows product code and its the same machine that his techmonkey has had the back open and repaired, now l know why l had to leave it with him, l should have been more on the ball when he handed it to his techmonkey and spoke in his language (who was able to speak perfect english to me earlier).

so l have learnt a lot the last couple of weeks but I'm now happy with my new lappy thats performing better that I expected.