Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Beenaboutabit

Video/Tv/Dvd

11 posts in this topic

I use the tv very little and the video/dvd player even less! At a guess the video player hasn't been used for 6 to 12 months.

Just recently I tried to play a pre-recorded video tape and all I got was a 'snowy' screen and some distant sound. I tried 2 or 3 more with the same result, and then tried a Dvd which played ok (however, most of the material I have is video tapes!):mad:

I know there has been a signal change of late but my tv must have done the business itself because it was fine without me doing anything and it and the Dvd plays ok. Any ideas, anyone?

My player is a Sony SLV-D930 GI which I reckon I bought about 3 years ago (4 at the outside), my tv is a Thompson of about 5 year vintage.

Morning :mad:

The signal change won't have affected your video recorder, although it may have shifted the tv channels around so you might have to retune one of them to your video recorder - if that makes any sense.

Usually though the video output is the AUX (or AU) channel, or sometimes channel 0 (zero) and in this case the frequency of the channel is constant. If the channel is tuned properly and the video picture still isn't right then it's a fault with the video recorder.

You say that the DVD player is still OK, that makes me think it's the video recorder that's the problem. You could make sure of this by connecting the video to another tv and testing the picture.

If the video recorder's been lying unused for a considerable length of time the most common problem is the tracking. Try playing a video through a tv that you know is tuned in properly and adjusting the tracking.

It could also be the tape heads that need cleaning. Head cleaning cassettes are fairly easy to obtain and relatively cheap.

If all that doesn't work you could always ask someone to convert the video to dvd, a common service advertised in most papers and camera stores such as Jessops.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert and I'm sure others will add to this.

Morning :mad:

The signal change won't have affected your video recorder, although it may have shifted the tv channels around so you might have to retune one of them to your video recorder - if that makes any sense.

Usually though the video output is the AUX (or AU) channel, or sometimes channel 0 (zero) and in this case the frequency of the channel is constant. If the channel is tuned properly and the video picture still isn't right then it's a fault with the video recorder.

You say that the DVD player is still OK, that makes me think it's the video recorder that's the problem. You could make sure of this by connecting the video to another tv and testing the picture.

If the video recorder's been lying unused for a considerable length of time the most common problem is the tracking. Try playing a video through a tv that you know is tuned in properly and adjusting the tracking.

It could also be the tape heads that need cleaning. Head cleaning cassettes are fairly easy to obtain and relatively cheap.

If all that doesn't work you could always ask someone to convert the video to dvd, a common service advertised in most papers and camera stores such as Jessops.

Hope this helps. I'm no expert and I'm sure others will add to this.

Many thanks, and I'll be throughly digesting the information provided.:mad:

If the video player has been connected to the Tv via a scart cable, when you play the video, the TV tuner should automatically change to the "video" channel.

I hope that makes sense! :mad:

If the video player has been connected to the Tv via a scart cable, when you play the video, the TV tuner should automatically change to the "video" channel.

I hope that makes sense! :mad:

Just got back from doing taxi chores.:D

I'll get on the case this evening and I can just about follow your comments, but I can assure you anything beyond that will have me .... :mad:

Cheers.:)

try taking the dvd player out of the equation. 1 less thing to cock stuff up. Once the VHS works then you can think about putting the dvd player into the circuit.

think about transferring the VHS stuff to dvd then you can put the vhs in the charity shop.

try taking the dvd player out of the equation. 1 less thing to cock stuff up. Once the VHS works then you can think about putting the dvd player into the circuit.

think about transferring the VHS stuff to dvd then you can put the vhs in the charity shop.

I fear I've made a bit of a hash of describing the problem accurately. You see the Sony machine I have is a dual player, it plays both tapes and dvd's and the latter part of it works but the tape part doesn't. I have now realised it all worked perfectly as late as 5/6 months ago when my daughter was home from uni around Easter. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I fear I've made a bit of a hash of describing the problem accurately..................... I have now realised it all worked perfectly as late as 5/6 months ago when my daughter was home from uni around Easter.

At a guess you have now described the problem accurately.

I fear I've made a bit of a hash of describing the problem accurately. You see the Sony machine I have is a dual player, it plays both tapes and dvd's and the latter part of it works but the tape part doesn't. I have now realised it all worked perfectly as late as 5/6 months ago when my daughter was home from uni around Easter. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

As the DVD player is viewable (:D?) through the TV (and I take it the DVD and video play through the same channel) then it definitely sounds like the video recorder part of the machine is at fault. Hopefully it's just the tracking or the heads needing a clean.

As the DVD player is viewable (:D?) through the TV (and I take it the DVD and video play through the same channel) then it definitely sounds like the video recorder part of the machine is at fault. Hopefully it's just the tracking or the heads needing a clean.

Cheers. I'll deal with it in that way. :)

Does Anywhere Transfer Old Video Cassettes To DVD Disc I Have A Few I Need To Do