Josh

A Bit Of History

4 posts in this topic

I've just caught up on Alex Kingston's "Who Do You Think you Are?" Quite unexpected, totally fascinating and from an historical point of view highly relevant. A must watch for the ladies.

http://www.bbc.co.uk..._Alex_Kingston/

The current estimate of sex workers in the UK is 80,000; in 1850 there were 80,000 in London alone if I heard that right! Grab a glass of something, sit back and enjoy ... Polka Poll eh? ... ;)

60 million is the population of the country, on that basis 1 in 750 people is a sex worker. Considering women on the very attractive side under 50, it is perhaps more like 1 in 50?

60 million is the population of the country, on that basis 1 in 750 people is a sex worker. Considering women on the very attractive side under 50, it is perhaps more like 1 in 50?

Of course, a fairly high peroportion of the WG's were not born here, so might fall outside of this calculation, in the sense that they come here for a while, then return home. So, one would have to try to work out what % of the indigenous population "work" to get a truer picture, I think.

I thought it a little odd that the actress who made her name as Moll Flanders did not appreciate the numbers of what we know now as WG's who plied their trade in London at the time her ancestor were alive.