badumtish

Devotions in Smetwick raided

12 posts in this topic

Reported on local radio. Brothel in "Three Shires Oak rd Smethwick" has been raided by the police. five women and two men arrested and detained.

Just passing on what I heard no other details as yet.

More here:

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/black-country/black-country-news/2009/10/26/nine-arrested-in-prostitution-crackdown-in-smethwick-97319-25018540/

Nine people have been arrested in connection with an operation to tackle prostitution in Smethwick.

Five women and four men were detained at an address on Three Shires Oak Road in Bearwood after police received information suggesting the property was being used as a brothel.

The women and two of the men were bailed pending further inquiries while the two other men were released without charge.

B

A pretty devout lot in Birmingham, and as the police will be drawn from that upstanding community further raids can be expected.

News of such cleansing activities must give comfort to Frau Harman. I wonder to which camp she will eventually have the arrested males sent?

A pretty devout lot in Birmingham, and as the police will be drawn from that upstanding community further raids can be expected.

News of such cleansing activities must give comfort to Frau Harman. I wonder to which camp she will eventually have the arrested males sent?

Smethwick is in the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell which is part of the Black Country.

Whilst the police force is the same (West Midlands), the local authorities are different and approaches to, and tolerance of, prostitution will no doubt be different.

However, these brothels in residential areas (as I assume Devotions was) get hit quite regularly in Sandwell. They prolly last even less time in Birmingham (and interestingly, Devotions was originally located in Birmingham city centre.)

B

Smethwick is in the Metropolitan Borough of Sandwell which is part of the Black Country.

Whilst the police force is the same (West Midlands), the local authorities are different and approaches to, and tolerance of, prostitution will no doubt be different.

However, these brothels in residential areas (as I assume Devotions was) get hit quite regularly in Sandwell. They prolly last even less time in Birmingham (and interestingly, Devotions was originally located in Birmingham city centre.)

B

Point taken.

I seem to recall there is some rivalry involving Sandwell and Wolverhampton or something of the sort .... ? Just to assist my geography, are the two places that close and is there a definable boundary other than that provided by council signs? My travelling in the West Midlands has been extensive but mainly restricted to motorways and other major roads as I passed through, and for my sins I think of the whole area as Birmingham and it's suburbs!! A heresy that can be repeated down here in respect of Devon and Cornwall if anyone dares to think of them as being broadly the same place ...!!:D

Don't worry, I used to think of the entire conurbation as being Birmingham.

The Black Country comprises the metropolitan boroughs of Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall and the City of Wolverhampton. The following link leads to a map showing their relative locations of the Black Country and Birmingham within the wider West Midlands region (although Sandwell is erroneously indicated as West Bromwich):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WestMidlandsRegion.jpg

There are rivalries between the different areas and within them. (Dudley, for example, is comprised of several towns with their own identities.)

B

Defintely different councils having different approaches - there are enough brothels in Bham advertsing quite openly and have been for years to make me think they are tolerated by a "modern, forward thinking council".

Compare with the situation in scotland - Edinburgh, tolerance, no street scene, Glasgow less tolerant attitude to brothels so streetwalkers and kerb crawlers.

I am BTW a Brummie - visiting tonight as it happens.......

This place was a terraced house next to shops and opposite a chippy and restaurants etc. It's been there for years and is/was one of the scruffiest parlous you could ever visit. I know there have been some interesting developments in this area of late. I nice young lady left the scene from very close to this place because the police started to park and watch from nearby. So maybe they are on a clampdown. Coincidentally this place is a stone throw away from Fun Place. In Jan 2008 a place called Bearwood Babes was raided not to far from here as well. Parlour Raid

has anyone got any news on devotions? is It reopening does anyone know?

It was less than half a mile from Funplace, I wonder if Jayne will get any problems at Funplace.

The Black Country comprises the metropolitan boroughs of Dudley, Sandwell and Walsall and the City of Wolverhampton. The following link leads to a map showing their relative locations of the Black Country and Birmingham within the wider West Midlands region (although Sandwell is erroneously indicated as West Bromwich):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:WestMidlandsRegion.jpg

B

A very useful map, Sir, thank-you!