Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gibbs

Getting In To Chat Room Via Iphone

23 posts in this topic

Most of the time I access the Chat Room via my iPhone because it's more private than my pc. Yesterday I tried to get in, the first time for a few days, and I can't. I keep getting a page headed AddonChat with a message that the mobile module is not available. It shows my name in a box and a million dots for my password which isn't possible. There is a sign in box at the bottom but when I press that the original page reappears.

A couple of days ago I was prompted to and duly downloadex iOS6.0. and wonder if that has anything to do with it? It's probably something simple, like me, and I would appreciate any help from more technically educated people than myself.

The non java chatroom subscription has expired. Galahad says not enough people were using it to justify the expense. Suggest you email galahad to lobby him to reintroduce it if important to you.

The non java chatroom subscription has expired. Galahad says not enough people were using it to justify the expense. Suggest you email galahad to lobby him to reintroduce it if important to you.

I can only use the chatroom from a public PC now. Not good.

What about Notebooks or Laptops? Will it work through them? Before i waste my money that is....

I can only use the chatroom from a public PC now. Not good.

What about Notebooks or Laptops? Will it work through them? Before i waste my money that is....

runs fine on my samsung ns310 notebook which runs windows 7 and firefox.

anything that runs java is OK i reckon

According to my iPhone settings I've got javascript and it's switched on but I can't access the chatroom. Are there other versions of java and if so would any kf them do the trick. One for the technical gurus perhaps.

According to my iPhone settings I've got javascript and it's switched on but I can't access the chatroom. Are there other versions of java and if so would any kf them do the trick. One for the technical gurus perhaps.

I would report your post so the mods know to bring this to galahads attention. He seems to know this stuff.

I followed your advice in your first post and pm'd Galahad who responded " at present there are no plans to restore mobile-device chat room access ". Then I saw your comment that " anything that runs on java is OK I reckon " so I checked and found that I have javascript on my iPhone. Unfortunately no good.

It looks as if you are alright if you are on a desktop pc ( as I am now ); a laptop; iPad; or perhaps my wife's netbook :angry: . I don't have an acceptable reason for buying an iPad or similar for my own use so it looks as if I'm stuck along with everyone else who uses a mobile phone.

I have only been using the chatroom for a short time but I found it very enjoyable and had some interesting and amusing chats with different people. Unfortunately my ability to use my desktop is very hit and miss and the privacy issue is a problem. My access to the chatroom was about 80/20 in favour of my phone and I could get access from basically anywhere and privacy wasn't a big issue.

I'll just have to hope for someone to come up with an alternative method of me accessing the chatroom via my iPhone. I obviously have no idea how many other members are affected or to what degree. Have to be optimistic. :)

Thanks for your assistance Coventrypunter. :)

I followed your advice in your first post and pm'd Galahad who responded " at present there are no plans to restore mobile-device chat room access ". Then I saw your comment that " anything that runs on java is OK I reckon " so I checked and found that I have javascript on my iPhone. Unfortunately no good.

It looks as if you are alright if you are on a desktop pc ( as I am now ); a laptop; iPad; or perhaps my wife's netbook :angry: . I don't have an acceptable reason for buying an iPad or similar for my own use so it looks as if I'm stuck along with everyone else who uses a mobile phone.

I have only been using the chatroom for a short time but I found it very enjoyable and had some interesting and amusing chats with different people. Unfortunately my ability to use my desktop is very hit and miss and the privacy issue is a problem. My access to the chatroom was about 80/20 in favour of my phone and I could get access from basically anywhere and privacy wasn't a big issue.

I'll just have to hope for someone to come up with an alternative method of me accessing the chatroom via my iPhone. I obviously have no idea how many other members are affected or to what degree. Have to be optimistic. :)

Thanks for your assistance Coventrypunter. :)

argos have a netbook for under £200 according to a tv ad last night.

Edited.

Edited by smiths

I have voted in vinnys poll but there was not an option 'i normally use the java version from my PC but occasionally use it when away from home...'

so for me not essential but nice to have from time to time

Edited by Coventrypunter

My phone is the only device I own that is 100% mine with no access for anyone else. Too much risk involved in anything else so without mobile access I can't use chat.

Come on folks only 8 people have voted. Even if its not something you use a vote would help galahad decide if its needed - and maybe get Vin back into chat!! lol

Twice in the last few days I've used the chatroom via my pc. This was the first opportunity for me (due to privacy problems) since chatroom access via mobile phone was removed about a month ago. I understand that financial considerations have to be taken into account but it has meant that eight members, including myself, no longer use this facility.

When I was in the chatroom at the weekend I was surprised to discover that a regular user was unaware if the poll/problem. Not many people have voted in Vin Daloo's poll so perhaps a category was missing? " I don't use the chatroom myself but I think the facility should be available to all members ".

I appreciate that in the end Galahad's decision is final but that doesn't stop us trying to influence him.

well looks like I won't be usng the chat room any more, as my I pad was the only way I could access it in private.

well looks like I won't be usng the chat room any more, as my I pad was the only way I could access it in private.

cant a panty-pad do java?

I have an iPhone 4s that is apparently equipped with java but I can no longer use it to access the chatroom as you know. I assume the iPad that Crossfire uses is working on the same system.

I have an iPhone 4s that is apparently equipped with java but I can no longer use it to access the chatroom as you know. I assume the iPad that Crossfire uses is working on the same system.

sounds like the apple OS is at fault then.

sounds like the apple OS is at fault then.

Mac OSX supports Java, Apple iOS doesn't.

No mate it doesn't. The kick ass PC I built from scratch does. Unfortunately it isn't discrete enough :(

argos have a netbook for under £200 according to a tv ad last night.

Mmmm I got one of those cheapy netbooks as a temporary measure a little while back and believe me...if tonka toys did laptops...they would be a lot better than the one I bought from Argos.

I'm ok with browsing via my GS3,

havnt tried the chatroom yet, will do shortly.

but mobile access to chat not crucial to me.

For last-min arrangemetn with WL: phone or Text (sms, watsapp or viber, but I feel SMS is safest).