manny

Wealthy

52 posts in this topic

This hobby is SO expensive! £100, £200 or even more for one hours 'entertainment' all be it unbeatable 'entertainment'

I know that I can't afford it so I'm wondering how you guys can???

So what do you think is the average salary amongst the punters here? £50,000? More?

Or is it just that other areas of your lives suffer as a result of your expensive hobby? i.e. You sacrifice the nice car/big TV/expensive clothes and spend a high percentage of your hard earned money on these lovely ladies?

This hobby is SO expensive! £100, £200 or even more for one hours 'entertainment' all be it unbeatable 'entertainment'

I know that I can't afford it so I'm wondering how you guys can???

So what do you think is the average salary amongst the punters here? £50,000? More?

Or is it just that other areas of your lives suffer as a result of your expensive hobby? i.e. You sacrifice the nice car/big TV/expensive clothes and spend a high percentage of your hard earned money on these lovely ladies?

This "hobby" can be as expensive as you want it to be.

I would guess that a lot of guys on here earn less than £50K a year.

My secret is to not punt too often and set a limit of £120 an hour or £80 for 30 minutes.

Holidays are my first priority, in the last 12 months I have been to Manila, Bangkok, Las Vegas and Hong Kong. :D

Manny is Marriage, kids then divorce any LESS expensive ?:D:)

As I'm sure others will point out... the most important factor is disposable income. Years ago I earnt far more money than I do now, but I also had matching costs (mortgage, kids, big car, etc.)

Now kids sustain themselves, mortgage long gone. I really don't care about flash cars, etc... so net effect is I've got a lot more cash to spend from my reduced income.

Expensive? It is compared to all my other hobbies... but I have friends who spend a lot more on their hobbies.

Manny is Marriage, kids then divorce any LESS expensive ?:D:)

Let's work it out....

Once a week dull sex with my ex-wife cost me a thousand or so a month plus £160,000 to buy her a house when divorced

ok, ok so I take your point!

But that arguement is no good when you are supporting your wife/kids/mortgage AS WELL AS funding your hobby! (And the majority on here are by all accounts!)

It is a question of budgeting.

Within what you can afford (and that should/must be an important consideration), you need to decide the balance between, frequency of visits, duration of visits, and maximum hourly rate you are happy to pay.

Everyone will have a different approach on how they strike that balance, but keeping within an affordable limit should be first priority imo.

Im a phd student...My salary is 13k a year but its tax and Ni free and I am council tax exempt

I love my hobby

It is a question of budgeting.

Within what you can afford (and that should/must be an important consideration), you need to decide the balance between, frequency of visits, duration of visits, and maximum hourly rate you are happy to pay.

Everyone will have a different approach on how they strike that balance, but keeping within an affordable limit should be first priority imo.

Very wise words but sadly punting can become addictive in the same way that gambling or drinking can take over your life. :D:(:)

Well each to his own vice I say ! I don't smoke (used to spend over £150 a month doing this), don't take drugs, don't gamble and I DON'T PLAY GOLF :D

Very wise words but sadly punting can become addictive in the same way that gambling or drinking can take over your life.

Only if you let it, it is not hard to maintain a sense of perspective. :D

Yes it is expensive.

OK if you are single - for married men with kid(s)?

It is difficult to square - but then again I work 5/6 days a week for my family - drive them everywhere etc and even my KEF speakers had to take a tripe to the shed to make way for this or that - I am entitled to spend some of it on myself without guilt.

When things were financially tough I punted incredible rarely - now things are better - and I feel like exploring a bit - but still it is expensive whichever way you look at it.

Only if you let it, it is not hard to maintain a sense of perspective. :)

I find these blandishments highly irksome. As JRC rightly points out it can be an addictive behaviour just like alcohol, drugs, gambling or tobacco. According to your flawed logic, addiction is something we can all avoid by maintaining a sense of perspective. Purrlease....

I find these blandishments highly irksome. As JRC rightly points out it can be an addictive behaviour just like alcohol, drugs, gambling or tobacco. According to your flawed logic, addiction is something we can all avoid by maintaining a sense of perspective. Purrlease....

IMO Some people just have more willpower than others, or go into a scenario with their eyes open fully aware of what they are doing. Thus are able to excercise their sense of perspective in conjunction with their willpower and not allow themselves to get carried away.

Opinions are like aresholes, everyone has one & mine obviously differs to yours but there's no need to be arsey about it. :)

Please keep the discussion calm.

There is room for more than one opinion here, but just keep it polite and civil. Thanks

And there's no need for you to propagate unsubstantiated homespun theories, when you're clearly misinformed. Psychology is obviously not one of your strong points.

Psychology isn't one of my strong points either so maybe somebody else can tell me why there is so much posturing and oneupmanship on these boards?! Always somebody looking for a row!

If Wamphyri had submmitted a paper to the World Health Organisation stating that he had devised a theory to counter addiction called 'It is not hard to maintain a sense of perspective' then yeah he could be accused of propagating unsubstatiated homespun theories - truth is that it was just a throwaway comment based on his own experience, that of being able to maintain perspective

so maybe somebody else can tell me why there is so much posturing and oneupmanship on these boards?! Always somebody looking for a row!

From what I can make out it is one of the basic rules of posting, it can be a bit of a bugger sometimes though, especially when you really want to post a non-confrontational reply and you find that you have to cause a ruckus. C'est la vie.

But it is dismissive of a whole sector within society who are unable to maintain these expected standards.

Many people cannot stop compulsive behaviours without help. It is mental illness and occupying the moral highground with such strong views reinforces negative stereotypes and the lingering stigma of addiction. If what you claim is true, junkies and alcoholics should simply stop their self-destructive behaviours, fat people would exercise more and eat less, smokers would cease and the reduction in NHS treatment costs could ease poverty in the developing world. Right-ho.

Lastly it's not oneupmanship, it's the avoidance of offence when engaging with serious social issues.

Not going to rise to that as I have no wish to be put on pre-mod :). Suffice to say others clearly understood what I meant and interpreted it in the way I intended which points to the problem with mis-interpretation being elsewhere

Not going to rise to that as I have no wish to be put on pre-mod :D. Suffice to say others clearly understood what I meant

You seemed to be saying that addictions can easily be overcome which is simply not the case, that applies to drugs, drinking, online gaming, you name it. :);)

You seemed to be saying that addictions can easily be overcome which is simply not the case, that applies to drugs, drinking, online gaming, you name it. :);)

I am with Jim. :D

(always have been)

Addiction can be like a plant to a gardener, one will say it`s a weed another a flower.

There are addictions that without doubt cause harm but others that are necessary to live.

Man (humankind) has two base drives, food and sex. These are primitive drives, reproduction would not happen without them there is no logic in having children. So sex is a basic need that is extremely difficult to overcome and unnatural if you do.

Is going with a WG addiction ? Possibly. Or is it fullfilling a basic need that cannot be obtained elsewhere ? Surely the answer can only be personal ?

Isn`t everyone searching for that fullfilling feeling like we`ve never felt before ? In no matter what field !

And once we`ve achieved that goal is it not human to want to go further ?

You can call me an addict but as far as I`m aware safe sex is not harmful, infact it`s scientifically proven to be good for you.

I think you can only call someone an addict in these circumstances when they lose the ability to tell when it is causing them harm, ie., financially.

Anorexia: "Why don't they just look in the mirror and eat something"

Gambling: "Gambling never pays off, so just stop doing it"

Alcoholism: "Drinking too much is really bad for your health, you have to stop drinking so much"

Drug addiction: "Drugs will kill you so stop doing them"

Sex addiction: "It can't be for long term relationships, so just stop doing it!"

Writing silly Internet forum messages: No cure

Any more social wrongs that I can right?

Hmm OK I see where the confusion is now, sorry. My original comment was more pointed at pre-addiction then suggesting willpower is all that is needed to those already hooked.

Anorexia: "Why don't they just look in the mirror and eat something"

That is an interesting point, I do remember reading somewhere that when an Anorexic views him/herself in a mirror he/she does not see what is reflected, what he/she sees is a bloated person, perception is reality to an Anorexic, not reality itself.

Just to throw in a couple of reliable stats: median income before tax is around £25k a year (i.e. the mid-point in the income distribution: 50% earn less than 25k, 50% more: although lots of folk on around 25k, so that is a bit misleading). But, to be 90% up the income distribution (i.e. to be in the top 10% of earners) means an income of about £40k pa before tax. So, by definition, not that many on £50k plus in the UK, but may be a higher percentage who are PN members? These are figures for individuals, not households, btw.

Edited by profman
further info