Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Colonel Bonkers

Ms MacShane rides to the rescue

3 posts in this topic

There is no doubt that the government, the MacShanes, JS, HH et al. have grossly inflated the figures on trafficking to further their own ends. Some trafficking and exploitation does exist in UK and it seems most people on this forum are totally opposed to it. It is too much to expect this government to look at the evidence, but if they did, they might conclude that:

- The first line of defence against this evil trade is the UK Border Agency, who have failed miserably to do their job.

- The current legislation will simply drive the sex trade into the hands of organized crime gangs (cf. prohibition) and make life more dangerous for all Working Girls, whether forced or not.

I can see there are difficulties with licensed brothels, but it is hard to see how girls could be forced to work in premises that were properly regulated and given the choice I doubt whether many punter would choose to visit unlicensed brothels either.

The question is: how to get this message across, to the bone heads in my opening paragraph, before this retrograde legislation gets enacted.

This is sad stuff. Their argument is so bankrupt that she's having to focus on what the FBI is doing in America. I gave up reading after 2 or 3 paragraphs.

She quotes "the view" of The Poppy Project. The PP seems to have had the mantle of infallibility bestowed on it; it doesn't have to produce evidence, or academically validated research. All it has to do is express "a view" and that's as good as solid evidence it would seem.

"In the debate that followed, I was struck by the nasty personal tone of much of the rhetoric, which dismissed campaigners against sex trafficking as evangelical Christians and ill-intentioned feminists." No- they weren't being dismissed as evangelicals and radfems, they were being rightly identified as evangelicals and radfems. These people have been dismissing punters as abusive rapists and working girls as witless victims and yet see our responses as 'nasty' and 'personal'. :rolleyes: