sciros

Password Recovery Form - I Hate Captcha

10 posts in this topic

I had to recover my password today, and it took me 7 attempts to type in the CAPTCHA, there is no option for audio. I am colour blind, and have reduced sight. can G consider an alternate / additional method, e.g. security questions, google authentication or something a bit more 21st century.

It's not just this site, I have problems with CAPTCHAs everywhere, even the type a few words from the audio ones.

Is this just me?

PDF

I have felt they have generally become a little plainer more recently where I encounter them.

I certainly recall just clicking when blank to get a replacement I hoped would be plainer.

Odd that some are pretty obvious is there are automated readers that made the partial encryption necessary.

Your experience makes it seem important that people aren't disregarded in needing alternative methods.

I hate Captcha too and often hit the refresh button a few times before attempting to enter one.

eBay's system of a six digit number but spread around at varying angles is on a similar theme yet always easy to enter.

I expect the issue here is with the forum host rather than Galahad, I'm sure he has no control over the password recovery method.

DG

I hate Captcha too and often hit the refresh button a few times before attempting to enter one.

eBay's system of a six digit number but spread around at varying angles is on a similar theme yet always easy to enter.

I expect the issue here is with the forum host rather than Galahad, I'm sure he has no control over the password recovery method.

DG

the adultwank one is a pain. and you need it every time you sign on which seems a little over the top,

the adultwank one is a pain. and you need it every time you sign on which seems a little over the top,

I always use my iPhone for AW and P/Net and AW has a pretty good mobile website for IOS. Can set it to remember you and no Captcha.

For what it's worth I also have a large selection of IOS browsers and currently use Mercury which can (and is) set to require a PIN to open. The AW app can also be set to require a PIN itself. The app is a mobile app that downloads as the website, not an all from the App Store. If, once logged in, you want to access to full website you can do so and will find yourself logged in.

DG

on a point of order are turing letters the same as capcha?

Edited by Coventrypunter

on a point of order are turing letters the same as capcha?

Quote from Wiki:

The term "CAPTCHA" was coined in 2000 by
, and
(all of
). It is an
based on the word "capture" and standing for "
C
ompletely
A
utomated
P
ublic
T
uring test to tell
C
omputers and
H
umans
A
part". Carnegie Mellon University attempted to trademark the term,
but the trademark application was abandoned on 21 April 2008.

A CAPTCHA is sometimes described as a
, because it is administered by a machine and targeted at a human, in contrast to the standard
that is typically administered by a human and targeted at a machine.

DG

Quote from Wiki:

The term "CAPTCHA" was coined in 2000 by
, and
(all of
). It is an
based on the word "capture" and standing for "
C
ompletely
A
utomated
P
ublic
T
uring test to tell
C
omputers and
H
umans
A
part". Carnegie Mellon University attempted to trademark the term,
but the trademark application was abandoned on 21 April 2008.

A CAPTCHA is sometimes described as a
, because it is administered by a machine and targeted at a human, in contrast to the standard
that is typically administered by a human and targeted at a machine.

DG

And one assumes the turing test is named after Alan Turing.

DG

agree with all of what you say took me nearly 2 hours to get captcha right why is it made so bloody difficult, make sure i wrote it down wont lose pw again