Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
porker paul

Cctv

10 posts in this topic

Looking for some security lights for my external buildings I came across www.espuk.com They sell CCTV, security lights which can include still and video recording devices, as well as a range of other devices.

I wondered if any of these might be of use to WG's to install outside their front doors so they can have a record of who visits them.

Obviously the memories can be wiped a the end of each day ready for a new day.

Just a suggestion.

Yes it's possible on CCTV device when it'll be recorded and when to be deleted according to their pre-setting. But WG's need to have some technical knowledge to operate the CCTV to monitor the pre-recorded footage. Alternatively a CCTV operator can do the work.

Edited by lewishamguy

Yes it's possible on CCTV device when it'll be recorded and when to be deleted according to their pre-setting. But WG's need to have some technical knowledge to operate the CCTV to monitor the pre-recorded footage. Alternatively a CCTV operator can do the work.

The one I am thinking of can me operated by me alone without too much techie stuff.

NB Use of CCTV for business purposes needs to comply with the Data Protection Act:

http://www.ico.gov.u...uides/cctv.aspx

Personal domestic use (e.g. protecting your home against burglary) is exempt, but once there is a business element (as there would be for a WG) you come under the act.

NB Use of CCTV for business purposes needs to comply with the Data Protection Act:

http://www.ico.gov.u...uides/cctv.aspx

Personal domestic use (e.g. protecting your home against burglary) is exempt, but once there is a business element (as there would be for a WG) you come under the act.

That's true. Under this circumstances a simple hidden webcam with a laptop or desktop can be appropriate for WG's?

That's true. Under this circumstances a simple hidden webcam with a laptop or desktop can be appropriate for WG's?

Suspect that any recording of video (or sound) in a business context would come under the DPA, whether CCTV, webcam or anything else, and so hidden/covert would be a no-no. A WG would have to display a notice like this:

(link removed)

There would also be obligations to secure the data against hacking or physical theft, to ensure non-retention of data beyond certain limits (to industry standards, not just ordinary file deletion), to handle subject access requests etc. etc.

Suspect that any recording of video (or sound) in a business context would come under the DPA, whether CCTV, webcam or anything else, and so hidden/covert would be a no-no. A WG would have to display a notice like this:

(link removed)

There would also be obligations to secure the data against hacking or physical theft, to ensure non-retention of data beyond certain limits (to industry standards, not just ordinary file deletion), to handle subject access requests etc. etc.

Do you think WG will bother displaying sign or data protection act. Definitely not as they will lose their client. In my experience I found a WG who captured footage by hidden webcam but luckily I caught her webcam and made her erase everything unless I left her property. So we've to be aware of this.

Do you think WG will bother displaying sign or data protection act. Definitely not as they will lose their client.

Agreed, and there will be WGs (as in your experience) who don't care in the least what the law says.

But WGs who aim to be honest and above board need to know how the law stands. Otherwise they may in all innocence record images for genuine security purposes but find themselves in trouble, eg if assaulted and they present a recording as evidence to the police, or if they receive a "friendly" police visit and the police spot a live camera.

Equally punters (as your experience shows) need to be aware of the risk of being recorded and keep alert. It's so easy nowadays.

I've often thought about having CCTV installed OUTSIDE my place (of work), so surely the Law regarding privacy (in the event of a possible 'incident') wouldn't apply, as it would just be for 'safety and security'. Afterall, ANYONE can install it, can't they?

I'd never have it inside - especially in light of the story of that Madam in America recently.

I've often thought about having CCTV installed OUTSIDE my place (of work), so surely the Law regarding privacy (in the event of a possible 'incident') wouldn't apply, as it would just be for 'safety and security'. Afterall, ANYONE can install it, can't they?

I'd never have it inside - especially in light of the story of that Madam in America recently.

It's not the fact inside or outside of your place. The law applies to all. You can install but you must have to display CCTV sign according to the law. Otherwise you're breaking the law.