Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jonnybgood

Bugs, Viruses And Trojans.

8 posts in this topic

A couple of days ago I used the Service Provider Database. I found a girl I liked and clicked on the link to her website. While on the site my computer was invaded by a Trojan. It put up an offical looking page with a picture of a policeman and the title Central Monitoring Unit, It told me I had visited a proscribed site and my computer was now locked. It would cost me £100 fine to unlock it, with 4 ways of paying.

The computer was locked, I turned it off, restarted in safe mode and got rid of the trojan.

I informed Galahad, he checked out the site and could find no problems.

My question to all you computer whizzes, is could a trojan lie dormant on your computer, untill a certain type of site was visited to trigger it into action, just to give it more impact.

I thought my computer was safe, I use AVG2013 antivirus, Ad Aware for malware, CCleaner to clean up my internet visits and Toolwiz Care to keep an eye on my start up menu. The antivirus popped up a window saying there was a trojan threat with options for getting rid of it, I pressed the auto function. Meanwhile Toolwiz popped up a box saying something was trying to add itself to my startup, then another box and another and another, I couldnt clear them quick enough untill the computer was overwhelmed.

When I started in safe mode the antivirus wouldnt work, I used CCleaner to clean out the temp files, then Toolwiz to clean up the registry and then Ad Aware, which found the trojan and got rid of it, then I did everything again just to make sure, very time consuming.

The secret is, DONT PANIC, DONT PANIC, Mr Mannering.

This happened to me a few months ago and has happened to lots if others. Fortunately it doesn't appear to come back but is a pain to get rid of. I run McAfee so it doesn't seem to matter what antivirus you have it can get round it. I understand it doesn't just pop up on the naughty sites so anyone can, if they wish, report the scam to the authorities.

I have seen this scam spyware on friends computers I know how to kill it.

I have a copy of malwarebytes installed on a USB data stick that I keep up to date. IfI have a problem, I update the malwarebytes using another computer, then start the infected one in safe mode then run malwarebytes from the data stick (I dont put the stick in tiill the computer is all started)

If that doesnt work (1 time only) then down load the stinger from macaffee from here:-

http://www.mcafee.com/uk/downloads/free-tools/stinger.aspx

again using an uninfected computer onto a data stick and again run that from safe mode.

But on the whole I find AVG usually blocks most stuff.

This sounds like the Police Ransom-ware doing the rounds at the moment. It gets into your computer via Adobe Flash. Install FlashBlock.

The easiest way to remove it is to roll back your windows version, so CREATE A WINDOWS ROLLBACK NOW.

Can also be useful to have a USB stick with a physical write protect switch so that your USB stick cannot be infected when plugged into the dodgy PC.

MMm this happened to me when I went to use my sons laptop a few months ago as my other son was using mine to do his homework. Turned on the screen and there is was. As you can imagine being who I am I absolutley shit myself almost immediately but then thought to myself..mmmm if it was real they wouldnt be asking for money they would be kicking the door in. Complete piss take.

I too had this, but on a different user than the main one.

As mentioned, AVG seems to be disabled on the account that was effected.

I deleted the account, downloaded AVG 2013 and set up a new account.

Fingers crossed its all been OK now, but I can't help worying that its still there somewhere.

Any more help, hints and tips?