davmod

News agent card scams

11 posts in this topic

Has anyone noticed the scams which operate in the news agents. saying things like first massage free or first one only £10. What a sting. If its to good to be true............it is

Has anyone noticed the scams which operate in the news agents. saying things like first massage free or first one only £10. What a sting. If its to good to be true............it is

I have no doubt scams do go on but you noticing cards in a window that seem like a scam is hardly going to raise an eyebrow. If you could maybe offer some evidence to your observations or will this just be you only post on the subject

yes i saw these adds today thai massage £10 but the number is £1.50 a minute:eek:

I have no doubt scams do go on but you noticing cards in a window that seem like a scam is hardly going to raise an eyebrow. If you could maybe offer some evidence to your observations or will this just be you only post on the subject

This was covered in another thread a few months back. 'Free First massage' advertised. In fact nothing is on on offer at all- just a scam to get you to ring a premium rate number.

Somebody has made themselves busy. I have seen those cards with the same handwriting in newsagents in Tottenham, Holloway, Whitechapel, Dagenham and Hammersmith. They have an 070 number which many will be led to believe is an ordinary mobile.

Newsagents offering massage too good to be true, eh.. Why? did he charge for "extras?" ;)

10 quid for a massage from an 80 year old indian guy who cant speak english? Think I'll pass.

The rates for 070 numbers these days aren't actually that bad and often not much different than calling cross-network for some providers. The other issue is often legit businesses do use these 'personal' numbers, often not recieving any revenue from it - instead it's the reseller that makes the profit. Another point is simply how long should it take to make a simple booking on the phone?

newsagents offering massage too good to be true, eh.. Why? Did he charge for "extras?" :eek:

10 quid for a massage from an 80 year old indian guy who cant speak english? Think i'll pass.

Wonderful, just wonderful.

If you these adverts, you should know, this is a scam !!

I did phone - but then realised it was a scam. Got charged for the call - but worse I'm now getting regular advertising texts which are annoying and I have no way of stopping them (they are not premium text rates and don't have a STOP facility).

Contact Advertising Standards Agency - they are the responsible body for advertising via SMS.