sciros

Remote Detection Of Smartphones

4 posts in this topic

One of our techies demonstrated using a modified android phone and an external antenna, the ability to scan cars in the lot for other smartphones. He could identify ipads, google phones, and some laptops.

His plan is to send an email round advising people not to leave their tech in their cars, when in unsafe locations, like malls and gyms, as if he can do this so can criminals.

He is real uber geek, I resisted asking him if he had a girlfriend?

All the more reason for me to stick with my very old Nokia phone with no whistles or bells <_<

Leaving stuff in cars isn't the safest thing, criminals spot people putting things into their glove box or boot then strike afterwards. I'm pretty anal about taking everything with me and nag friends about leaving satnavs in their vehicles.

That said aren't electronic devices also fairly traceable if you have the IMEI number, I believe from this they can tell if the device is used after the theft and pick up details of the SIM card, phone number it's being used with and the calls being made with it.

The ability to track stuff makes the criminal's job so much harder. On my iPhone I have an app that, should it be stolen or found, snaps a picture of the person trying to unlock it then sends the picture and the location details to your email addy. If stolen the police can get you to log onto Find my iPhone from their own device then they can locate it immediately. I saw one on some crime programme recently where they intercepted some old bloke who swiped an iPhone from the X-ray basket. Cool tech.