JKay

Bt Bb & Wifi Whats It Like?

10 posts in this topic

OK folks, I've been peed off by Orange, been with them with my mobile since they started and once they started offering free home Broadband all the time I had a contract phone I was more than happy but now with all this EE crap they sent be a letter this was being stopped unless I transfered my BT line to EE and then charge me a tenner (less 50% discount) to use BB. Anyhow the best option would be to go Virgin Cable but I spotted a BT advert saying that if I signed up to their unlimited Home broadband (not fibre infinity) I get six months half price, now its a bit more than staying with EE but its the princaple of it, but the deal maker for me is the free WiFi, now this is where I need some advice, I do a lot of site work and it going to save me dongel top ups, so how does all this wifi hotspots work? Am I right in saying that every BT home hub uses a small bit of its bandwidth to create a hotspot for other BT subscribers to use, if so If I'm in a hotspot in say Oxford street when I logg in do I get assigned a fresh ISP number or the same one as the BT Hub that I'm connected to or is "my" home hub details used?

As a BT broadband user you will be qualified to use free BT WiFi hotspot but you need the login details user name and password for accessing BT WiFi hot spot and of course you'll be assigned new IP address every time when you access a hot spot in different location. It's not the IP address of your BT home hub & your BT home hub can't be shared by others unless they know your BT login details.

I use the BT Openzone when I'm out and about for my tablet, it's really handy and you do get a lot of minutes included with your monthly BB allowance. The only thing I wonder about is who is seeing your browsing habits, and if they can somehow be seen by others? I don't use my tablet for looking at XXX sites for this very reason...

Not everywhere has BT Openzone (I've not found it when I'm in a hospital for e.g) but there are lots of other free wi-fi points in town. as well as 'The Cloud' which provides WiFi in a lot of central locations.

Bareback from BT? Is that a new extra on yer phone bill.

Bareback from BT? Is that a new extra on yer phone bill.

Just inform the BT account department they'll merge your extra f**k*** bill

check what package BT is offering. Relations were complaining about their bills, until I pointed out that they were in the unlimited evening & weekend package, to which the reply was "I make most of my calls in the day..."

Also, do BT offer free 0845/0870 numbers, do they offer free international calls of up to 59m 59 secs duration (you put the phone down and redial rather than go over the hour).

Personally, I find BT's packages not very competitive, and you may find a better deal with Sky (espec if you have Sky) or O2 if you are an O2 mobile user. Both relations now switched to Sky and are saving around £180 a year. Also with sky you have free wifi with The Cloud. What's really daft is Sky and O2 use the BT lines. BT BB may seem cheap for 6 months but what's the full price. My mother has been paying them £24 a month for brooadband - daft old sod. Mine is £10.

Check on a couple of price comparsion sites.

You just need to haggle for a deal.

Check out Talk Talk as well, as they have been marketing aggressively.

I am in the same predicament as the OP with Orange, however it’s very difficult to get competitive priced broadband now unless you shift your line over to the provider. If anyone can recommend a provider who will provide you competitively priced BB without me having to move my line over I would be very interested.

Check out Talk Talk as well, as they have been marketing aggressively.

Sorry to respond late to this, but if you Google Talk Talk customer service, you'll they're not well thought of.

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jul/21/talktalk-worst-landline-broadband-ofcom

Maybe it explains why they market aggressively?

My son, at uni, has had similar probs with Virgin Media whose customer service left a lot to be desired.

On 07/12/2012 at 6:55 PM, Taggart said:

Sorry to respond late to this, but if you Google Talk Talk customer service, you'll they're not well thought of.

See: http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2011/jul/21/talktalk-worst-landline-broadband-ofcom

Maybe it explains why they market aggressively?

Never ever deal with the bunch of clueless idiots Based thousands of miles away manning Talk Talk  call centres ..

.More than once i was very tempted to tell them to F Off ..