Pie Eater

Simple Question

30 posts in this topic

It's clear from reading this board that by and large there is an anti-Government agenda fuelled in no small part by the actions of Harriet Harman, who is vilified for just about every single thing she does.

Let's say the worst case scenario does actually happen and Dave wins the next election - what will be the implications for the future of this industry??

How is the conservatives winng worse case? Anything is better than Labour.

It's clear from reading this board that by and large there is an anti-Government agenda fuelled in no small part by the actions of Harriet Harman, who is vilified for just about every single thing she does.

Let's say the worst case scenario does actually happen and Dave wins the next election - what will be the implications for the future of this industry??

But the worse case scenario is the re-election of the present government! That would mean more HH!

Let's say the worst case scenario does actually happen and Dave wins the next election -

Most people would think that the worst case scenario would be for Gordon the moron to be in charge for another term ----- perish the thought. ;)

Put aside all thoughts of the economy, the war, the sacking of a bloke that nobody really gives two shits about, Gordon's blindness or any other reason to criticise the Goverment - I am asking what people think will happen to this industry if Dave gets in.

Put aside all thoughts of the economy, the war, the sacking of a bloke that nobody really gives two shits about, Gordon's blindness or any other reason to criticise the Goverment - I am asking what people think will happen to this industry if Dave gets in.

I would imagine Dave will have enough to worry about without wasting time bringing in yet more laws that can't be enforced. ;):rolleyes:

You forgot honesty and competence!

I would imagine Dave will have enough to worry about without wasting time bringing in yet more laws that can't be enforced. ;):rolleyes:

I think you are probably right, but also that they would not be interested in reversing any change in the law that might go through shortly.

You forgot honesty and competence!

Selling off our gold at a fraction of it's true value.

Scrapping the 10 pence tax band.

Reducing VAT by 2.5 % ------- totally pointless.

Reducing VAT by 2.5 % ------- totally pointless.

That finishes on 1st Jan so prepare for a 2.5% price rise early next year.....

Supermarkets are laughing their head off......

That finishes on 1st Jan so prepare for a 2.5% price rise early next year.....

Supermarkets are laughing their head off......

Reducing VAT was supposed to stimulate the economy.

On a £500 article you save £12-50.

Not much good if you don't have £500 in the first place and can't get credit. ;)

Reducing VAT was supposed to stimulate the economy.

On a £500 article you save £12-50.

Not much good if you don't have £500 in the first place and can't get credit. ;)

Apart from the first week I didnt see vat at 2.5 on anything. They all crept back up to the price they were before.

DVDs all still cost 10.99, not 10.76,

Do you think they are still going to be 10.99 after 1st jan or do you think they'll pop up to 11.99 and blame it on the vat rise?

Is it worth me asking the question again or should I just wait for the thread to be moved to the off topic board.

I will take it that no one can offer a reasonable answer. Shame.

Is it worth me asking the question again or should I just wait for the thread to be moved to the off topic board.

Go on, give it another try, you've nothing to lose.

That's because there isn't an answer.

We don't know whether or not there is a Tory HH lurking in the wings.

....a sort of cross between Mary Whithouse and Margaret Thatcher comes to mind.

Quite chilling.

That's because there isn't an answer.

We don't know whether or not there is a Tory HH lurking in the wings.

....a sort of cross between Mary Whithouse and Margaret Thatcher comes to mind.

Quite chilling.

I'll stick my neck out and say there will be. A lot of people on here who are berating HH are in for a massive disappointment.

what will be the implications for the future of this industry??

Since Politicians are full of hot air often reversing promises in manifesto`s no one can be sure what may happen until it is about to.

Regardless, the industry will continue in one form or another.

Maybe the wording of your question explains the response you got.

You could have simply asked what we thought would happen if Dave came to power ------- there was no need to describe it as "the worst case scenario" because most people on here would see Gordon & Harriet as the worst case scenario. ;)

Regardless, the industry will continue in one form or another.

Spot on.

You can't stop prostitution just as America could not stop people boozing during prohibition.

Selling off our gold at a fraction of it's true value.

That is such a load of bollocks - it was the value at the time, and most other countries were doing the same thing, as gold had been falling in value for some years. The proceeds were invested in other assets that also went up in value. The fee the government will get from Lloyds TSB shortly (around £2bn) will eclipse the worst estimate of what was "lost" with hindsight on the Gold.

I'll stick my neck out and say there will be. A lot of people on here who are berating HH are in for a massive disappointment.

No-one knows - they are vague on other far more mainstream areas of policy - why would they articulate on this subject?

They are traditionally more libertarian than the puritanical radfems infesting the labour front bench, but it is unlikely that they would bother to reverse in totality the legislation just passed because they will have bigger fish to fry.

They might consider it in time if they need a popularity boost, and if this was felt to be a way of getting that, but not sure it is.

Unlikely to make it more repressive by the same token; doesn't chime with the traditional Tory way.

One thing they might reverse is the strict liability clause, to make an easy point about civil liberties, as well as for the impracticability of implementation.

For it to happen a champion, with a winning ticket in the Private Members Lottery, would have to spring from the ranks and it would be a brave male MP to do that.

A female MP might consider it if convinced that it would improve the lot of the WG's and trafficked victims. After all the evidence is there.

There is a certain squeamishness about doing anything to encourage prostitution, that would militate against any such initiative.

Legislation on this subject may well be on a no-reverse ratchet.

I am asking what people think will happen to this industry if Dave gets in.

Probably nothing. The Tories had 18 years last time in which to ban it and they never bothered. New Labour has always had a nanny state tendency and wants to stop you doing things "for your own good", like smoking. This is really the opposite of the Tory point of view. I can't see the Tories doing anything about it either way.

Vin Da Loo, it was the way the gold sales were handled that lowered the price. Brown not only picked a time when gold was at a low value (this is the time to sell, not buy), but he announced it well in advance and sold it off in such large amounts that it depressed the price still further.

That is such a load of bollocks - it was the value at the time, and most other countries were doing the same thing, as gold had been falling in value for some years. The proceeds were invested in other assets that also went up in value. The fee the government will get from Lloyds TSB shortly (around £2bn) will eclipse the worst estimate of what was "lost" with hindsight on the Gold.
Notably what was not spent was "invested" in foreign currencies, which given the weakness of the pound have given a pretty good return.