JKay

Mobile Upgrades.........

6 posts in this topic

Being out of contract I went onto the Orange website to see what I could get, liked the Samsung S3, clicked the buttons and they wanted £36 a month and £250 for the phone! stuff that, went over to Phones4U site, clicked on up grades and I got a return call and he ran through my requirements and came back with an Orange up-grade package better than I'm now on, free phone all for £28, so why could Orange offer me the same?

Shop around folks!

I'm told that the UK mobile market is now at the point where everybody who wants/needs a mobile has got one - there are no 'new' customers out there for the mobile companies to get - so it's now all about 'market share'.

When you talk to your current provider, they will want to keep you as a customer, but the person you first talk to isn't authorised to give you much (if anything) to stay with them. What you do is ask to speak to someone in 'retentions' and/or just ask for a "PAC code" which is what you need to 'port' your number to another provider. You will then be put through to someone who is authorised to offer you better deals in order to keep you as their customer, but if they don't, just ask for a PAC code and go elsewhere.

Orange (France Telecom) and T-mobile (Deutch Telekom) are currently merging to form EE, so a lot of their offerings are (or will be) identical.

Being out of contract I went onto the Orange website to see what I could get, liked the Samsung S3, clicked the buttons and they wanted £36 a month and £250 for the phone! stuff that, went over to Phones4U site, clicked on up grades and I got a return call and he ran through my requirements and came back with an Orange up-grade package better than I'm now on, free phone all for £28, so why could Orange offer me the same?

Shop around folks!

You used phones 4 U?

My experience of them has been agressive shop floor sales staff who tell you any old crap to get a sale - and their commission.

As dirty dick says, haggle with your existing provider.

And of those on SIM only deals or at the end of a contract but with a phone you are happy with, look at Tesco mobile or GifGaff who both piggyback on O2.

Shop around, but remember the comparsion sites dont include Tesco/Giffgaff so you need to do your homework.

I'm told that the UK mobile market is now at the point where everybody who wants/needs a mobile has got one - there are no 'new' customers out there for the mobile companies to get - so it's now all about 'market share'.

When you talk to your current provider, they will want to keep you as a customer, but the person you first talk to isn't authorised to give you much (if anything) to stay with them. What you do is ask to speak to someone in 'retentions' and/or just ask for a "PAC code" which is what you need to 'port' your number to another provider. You will then be put through to someone who is authorised to offer you better deals in order to keep you as their customer, but if they don't, just ask for a PAC code and go elsewhere.

Orange (France Telecom) and T-mobile (Deutch Telekom) are currently merging to form EE, so a lot of their offerings are (or will be) identical.

In my experience why you get to the cancellation team and request your PAC code, they never match deals which offered by the 3rd party agents. Not even close. Yes, the costumer service of all this joints its dreadful at the best, or not existing at all. However if you play your cards right you can save close to £500/600 for the same 24 months contract, oppose to go direct with networks.

For example in Jkay case. He could go with Affordable Mobiles (another awful company, but not worse then Phone4u) and get Samsung S3 with 24 months contract at £24, (not £28) but with 3 network though with 500 inclusive minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data. Plus, if he gone through Quidco until 16/12 (to late now, its gone down to £50 yesterday) he would get £100 automatic cashback in a month time. (which is enough for a an hour punt, lol).

I know 3 its not Orange, but even with an Orange are much better deals to be had that Jkay got. He did not shopped around properly after all. ;-)

Help! I have two mobiles with Orange - Sim only, pay by the month & 'Panther' for her in-doors. The Mrs wants an iphone5, so do I.

O2 at Car P W are offering £36 per month, no limit on calls or texts & 1gb, the phone will cost £25.

Need to stay with Orange for their cinema 2-1 tickets on a Wed as I don't live near an Odeon, which is a perk offered by to O2.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

In my experience why you get to the cancellation team and request your PAC code, they never match deals which offered by the 3rd party agents. Not even close. Yes, the costumer service of all this joints its dreadful at the best, or not existing at all. However if you play your cards right you can save close to £500/600 for the same 24 months contract, oppose to go direct with networks.

For example in Jkay case. He could go with Affordable Mobiles (another awful company, but not worse then Phone4u) and get Samsung S3 with 24 months contract at £24, (not £28) but with 3 network though with 500 inclusive minutes, unlimited text and unlimited data. Plus, if he gone through Quidco until 16/12 (to late now, its gone down to £50 yesterday) he would get £100 automatic cashback in a month time. (which is enough for a an hour punt, lol).

I know 3 its not Orange, but even with an Orange are much better deals to be had that Jkay got. He did not shopped around properly after all. ;-)

3 wanted money for the S3 and with sticking with orange I get their home broadband and orange gave me 600 mins, unlimited text.