Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Carnival

Belle De Jour On Radio 4 After Christmas

10 posts in this topic

Just spotted this announcement on the BBC web site. It looks like the Friday episode will be the one in which Brooke Magnanti focusses most on her own experience of operating anonymously and subsequently being unmasked.

Belle de Jour's History Of Anon

A history of anonymity and why writers have sought it, as told by Brooke Magnanti, the real voice behind one of the 21st century's most famous anonymous texts, Belle de Jour's Diary Of A London Call Girl.

Brooke explores motivations for remaining masked and the lengths the anonymous have gone to in order to remain unnamed. She draws on her own experiences to reveal how the concept of anonymity has changed - and how both writers and readers have dealt with it. From life or death to juggling open disclosure with the withholding of vital information, Brooke shows us that while we may not know their names, the anonymous have long shaped our worldview.

Monday 31 December to Friday 4 January

1.45-2.00pm

BBC RADIO 4

Edited by Carnival

All sounded very intellectual, but has she acquired a slight American accent somewhere?

After watching her on HARDtalk, I really fail to see why on earth such a massive deal has been made out of her story.

Yes, she's intelligent. So are a lot of people. Yes, mainstream media found her story 'saleable', especially after the populatiry of her blog. But other than that, it was all a little...bit of a damp squib for me.

All sounded very intellectual, but has she acquired a slight American accent somewhere?

I think you'll find she acquired it having been born and brought up in America!

I think you'll find she acquired it having been born and brought up in America!

....that could explain it :) . I had it in my head that she was from fine Northern stock; probably confused with the fact she was at Sheffied Uni at some stage?

Edited by Bradley Hardacre

....that could explain it :) . I had it in my head that she was from fine Northern stock; probably confused with the fact she was at Sheffied Uni at some stage?

Most of our universities are quite broad minded you know, even the northern ones!

Most of our universities are quite broad minded you know, even the northern ones!

Maybe she acquired a slight Northern twang while at Sheffield? So now she has a US/Yorkshire/Bristol accent...mmm!

On a further point, "Northern" should always be written with a capital N for reasons which are fairly self-evident -_-

Maybe she acquired a slight Northern twang while at Sheffield? So now she has a US/Yorkshire/Bristol accent...mmm!

On a further point, "Northern" should always be written with a capital N for reasons which are fairly self-evident -_-

No, northern is not a proper noun in this sense. If you were talking about Northern Rock or North Yorkshire you would because they are proper names!

At least I think that's right!

Edited by MinxyLydia

No, northern is not a proper noun in this sense. If you were talking about Northern Rock or North Yorkshire you would because they are proper names!

At least I think that's right!

You are quite right Lydia. In the context I used the word "northern" is an adjective not a noun and therefore does not attract a capital letter.

Not where I come from it isn't!