Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Chubber

Ipad2 And Post Editor

9 posts in this topic

I know this has come up before as I have found some old posts but I'm still left feeling confused and not sure what the answer is. I use an ipad2 to view and post on this forum but I'm unable to get the post editor.

Is there anyway I can access the post editor and can anyone else recommend other alternatives that do the same functions on a ipad2?

Apologies for being a bit thick but I'm a newbie at this and would love to add the Smileicon's if I can.

I know this has come up before as I have found some old posts but I'm still left feeling confused and not sure what the answer is. I use an ipad2 to view and post on this forum but I'm unable to get the post editor.

Is there anyway I can access the post editor and can anyone else recommend other alternatives that do the same functions on a ipad2?

Apologies for being a bit thick but I'm a newbie at this and would love to add the Smileicon's if I can.

There are two issues here Chubber and I am unsure which of the issues your post is referring two, so I'll mention both.

Firstly, Punternet only allows you to edit your own posts for 5 minutes after posting them. This is regardless of what device you are trying to edit from.

Secondly (and I am typing this on an iPad), for some reason when using an iPad, the post window we all use to type text into NEVER shows the formatting window (that allows us to set text style, size and font and to add smilies) that normally appears when using a PC. This just seems to be a featurette of the forum software that G uses. I know he is a keen iPad user himself, so will be aware of the issue and I have never seen a solution mentioned on these boards.

Assuming the latter issue is the one you are asking about, I can only suggest you start to learn the actual codes for smilies and text formatting in forum posts. Once you do, all sorts of things are possible :D.

Edited by Kantos Kan

Hi Kantos Kan,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes you were right to assume it was the latter issue I'm having the problem with so I'm definitely up for learning how to get the emoticons into my posts. Where do I get the actual codes from and is it straight forward to use?

I see that you have used the codes in your post above; do you see the end result before posting or does the formatting codes only work after posting?

Many thanks for your help ;-)

Hi Chubber

I found a list of common codes here

http://community.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=legends

But beware, not all of them work on punternet, especially the wackier ones.

It is easy to check which do though. When typing a reply, use the full text editor by hitting the "more reply options" at the bottom of each thread. Then, when you have finished typing your pearl of wisdom, complete with One or more smiley codes from the link above, hit the "preview post" button and Bob's your uncle, you can display your handiwork before anyone else gets to see it :).

Someone else might have a better link with only the valid codes on punternet listed.

Edited by Kantos Kan

Hi Kantos Kan,

Thanks for the codes. How do you use them? I tried to copy and paste first but on preview it just showed a long line of code and no emoticon. I then tried to copy the image itself with no luck.

Am I being extremely thick?

I have found that the iPad/iPhone has emoticons with the keyboard, it just has to be added in settings which I've now done although they appear smaller than the ones being used on this forum.

Did you add your smiley using the iPad?

Once again many thanks for your help

I just type the code in using the keyboard.

So a ":" followed by a ")" becomes :)

A ":" followed by a "D" becomes :D etc.

I'll investigate the settings option you mention. Is it settings on the iPad or settings on your forum profile ?

Removed.

Edited by Kantos Kan

Aha, I found the Emoji keyboard on my iPad