Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bangin vinyl

Punting Smart Phone

3 posts in this topic

I am considering this from both a legal and technical point of view, so I'd like to discuss it here if that's OK.

I understand legislation has been at least mooted in the last few years under which punters may be criminalised, and specifically, incriminated by their voice and data traffic.

http://www.punternet.com/forum/index.php/topic/7194-field-reports-feedback-and-the-new-laws/

http://www.punternet.com/forum/index.php/topic/342-why-clamp-down-on-uk-industry-when-trafficking-is-being-let-off-the-hook/

Sorry I am unsure quite how those proposals progressed. If anyone can update/summarise recent developments, that would illustrate how serious a concern the privacy of such traffic is today.

I bought the smartphone both as a (tethered) 3G access point at home, and a means of using e-contact and accessing information en-route to my desired punting location, or once there if a plan/arrangement falls through.

Personal details seem to be requested at every opportunity, however.

Having established the need for privacy, what I'm trying to establish is:

1. Should I register the actual phone truthfully for warranty purposes, etc?
  2. Having changed the SIM card, would I then be traceable by IMEI, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_Mobile_Station_Equipment_Identity or similar?
  3. Will any of the networks remove Content Control/Lock without I.D, (some request bank cards or even passports!) :rolleyes:
  4. Is the above necessary when browsing on a computer tethered to the 'phone?

I understand that the discussion may only be of interest to those with experience of this. Thanks for bearing with me as I really wanted to bring all this together in a single thread.

O2 have a strict opt in policy to view adult sites

Good news is this also encompasses

Gaming websites

And gambling sites

I told them I was viewing info on a certain game site and it got blocked

It tool the guy on the phone 2 minutes to fix which involved me turning handset off then on again

Android phones usually require you to sign in to latitude which tracks where you are so family and friends can see where you are this can be turned off or as not to arouse suspicion you can manually input a location ie work or gym etc

You could always drop into a Starbuck's etc and use a there free WiFi again if you have an android phone let me know and ill tell you how to cover your tracks

O2 have a strict opt in policy to view adult sites

Good news is this also encompasses

Gaming websites

And gambling sites

I told them I was viewing info on a certain game site and it got blocked

It tool the guy on the phone 2 minutes to fix which involved me turning handset off then on again

Were you asked for I.D. and if so, was this recorded/photocopied,etc.

Android phones usually require you to sign in to latitude which tracks where you are so family and friends can see where you are this can be turned off or as not to arouse suspicion you can manually input a location ie work or gym etc

You could always drop into a Starbuck's etc and use a there free WiFi again if you have an android phone let me know and ill tell you how to cover your tracks

I do have an Android 'phone.

Thanks.