Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
down

Beta Blockers

13 posts in this topic

I got some beta blockers off the doctor to control my anxiety. One of the side effects says it could stop you getting erections. Should be interesting. Any one else ever used them?

I thought they were normally for blood pressure ? which is why I was prescribed them. Erections maybe now not exactly of concrete donkey quality but certainly not like trying shove a slug into a slot machine.

Hope that helps

I thought they were normally for blood pressure ? which is why I was prescribed them. Erections maybe now not exactly of concrete donkey quality but certainly not like trying shove a slug into a slot machine.

Hope that helps

I don't plan on using them for too long any way

I don't plan on using them for too long any way

That's good to hear; a positive attitude can work wonders with something like stress. Beat blockers will only have a significant effect after several months. Your erections will be fine.

Good luck.

That's good to hear; a positive attitude can work wonders with something like stress. Beat blockers will only have a significant effect after several months. Your erections will be fine.

Good luck.

I was under the impression beta blockers do affect erections. I didn't actually find them very good for stress or anxiety, and they left me feeling light headed. I find regular exercise and learning to chill out more whilst reducing alcohol intake makes a much bigger difference.

Edited by Strawberry

I find regular exercise and learning to chill out more whilst reducing alcohol intake makes a much bigger difference.

I've never taken beta blockers but I have in the past been prescribed medication to help with anxiety and to make me sleep and didn't find any effective. The best medication for dealing with stress and anxiety is inside your own head. It's not easy but in my opinion is better than drugs if you can manage it. Depends a lot on what is causing the anxiety.

Im only mainly taking it for public speaking and last time It seemed to work. I was about to give a talk and when I was up there I could feel the fear and anxiety coming ( normally I want to run away and other bad stuff) but it was like it blocked the fear I could feel it blocking it away from me and then I could get on with the talking. Just a few pills will get me done.

There's a lot of different types as far as I know, but generally they will lower your blood pressure. So if you have normal blood pressure to start with they could affect your erection.  A life-saver to isolate you from the side-affects of anxiety but not the underlying causes. Much better off following the above advice on de-stressing your life and exercise; failing that some CBT therapy and if all that fails a prescription for diazepam under medical supervision (but be very wary of drugs like this - OK to use a few times a year, anything else and you're on a slippery slope).

If you are taking them prior to public speaking, rather than every day, then I'd be surprised if you experienced any problems.

Beta blockers when taken daily are intended to reduce blood pressure, and may also reduce heart rate too.  This can lead to the effect that Strawberry described, which is light headedness.  This is most likely to occur when you suddenly go from a sedentary activity to an active one, for example jumping up to go and answer the door or whatever.

If you are taking them prior to public speaking, rather than every day, then I'd be surprised if you experienced any problems.

what do you mean by this?

The probability of side effects is more likely to become apparent with sustained and regular intake of the medication.  Even then, there is no certainty that will be the case.  If you read the patient information leaflet enclosed with the medication it should state the likelihood of each side effect, i.e. rare 1 in 10,000, or common 1 in 100.

The effects of beta blockers are not cumulative. It will wear off several hrs after use. So unless you are using it daily, and not on the day of your sexual activity, it shouldn't affect erection