Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Irgendeiner

Serving Suggestion?

20 posts in this topic

I was chatting with a lady recently, and in the course of our conversation she said that she didn't want to post the results of her latest photo shoot on her site, because they'd been photoshopped so well that she looked perfect, which she isn't, quite!

We then came up with the disclaimer attached to the illustrations on almost all food packaging of "serving suggestion", and wondered whether WGs who post photoshopped images should apply a suitable disclaimer, particularly where the lady was "done" in an exotic studio with period furniture, of "Shagging Suggestion"?

So what was the point of photo shopping them to make her look perfect if she didn't want anyone to see them?

Confused of Tyneside

So what was the point of photo shopping them to make her look perfect if she didn't want anyone to see them?

Confused of Tyneside

Yes, Im confused too. Why get photos taken and photoshop them (ok I know the girl didnt do it, but they were still photoshopped) if she cannot show them. Pointless action and expense.

whether WGs who post photoshopped images should apply a suitable disclaimer, particularly where the lady was "done" in an exotic studio with period furniture

I don't mind the photo's that are obviously taken in a studio. If a lady wants to go to the effort and expense of a professional photographer, makeup etc then good for her. Obviously displaying photos that are extensively photoshopped isn't very nice. What I really object to is when a lady makes you believe that the premises you are viewing is her home whereas the reality is vastly different.

I think that she probably didn't give her mainline pro photographer clear enough instructions - I gather that she's asked for the finishing to be done again.

I think that she probably didn't give her mainline pro photographer clear enough instructions - I gather that she's asked for the finishing to be done again.

Anything the photographer has done can be undone so a more honest portrayal can be achieved.

On the packaging of some items, the recommendation is "serve with the dressing of your choice". Might that be appropriate?

Eat on the day of purchase?

I thought it was "Freeze on the day of purchase"!

Confused of Tyneside

Yes, Im confused too. Why get photos taken and photoshop them (ok I know the girl didnt do it, but they were still photoshopped) if she cannot show them. Pointless action and expense.

There are photographers out there who dont take a dickies bird bit of notice as to what the person paying for the pictures wants. All you get is an email with some model like gym bunny that are recognisable only because your head is stuck on them and the model is wearing the clothes you wore for your shoot. The photographers use their artistic license because they want everyone in pictures taken by them to look fabulous. Or their version of it. I have known ladies who have received pix that are stupidly photoshopped when all they asked for is their skin tone to be evened out. Photographer says tough, my job is finished and wont send the originals to the person who payed for them. They know most girls wont take them to court because they are semi naked in half the pictures and if their families found out they would then have to explain those pictures.

Edited by Chloe Kisses

There are photographers out there who dont take a dickies bird bit of notice as to what the person paying for the pictures wants. All you get is an email with some model like gym bunny that are recognisable only because your head is stuck on them and the model is wearing the clothes you wore for your shoot. The photographers use their artistic license because they want everyone in pictures taken by them to look fabulous. Or their version of it. I have known ladies who have received pix that are stupidly photoshopped when all they asked for is their skin tone to be evened out. Photographer says tough, my job is finished and wont send the originals to the person who payed for them. They know most girls wont take them to court because they are semi naked in half the pictures and if their families found out they would then have to explain those pictures.

LOL I would like to see any photographer make me look like a gym bunny. When I have photos taken, I use the raw material and simply cut them down. The only thing I do is to make the face unrecognisable if the shot would look silly without a head, and I 'iron' out any blemishes which nobody wants to see, and anyway spots blemishes come and go on all of us. Edited by Sarah Summers

There are photographers out there who dont take a dickies bird bit of notice as to what the person paying for the pictures wants.

I'm the professional. I know what's best. Give me your money. Now get out. It's a horrible attitude to have to deal with and of course you don't know until you've been sucked in what's going on. You have the satisfaction of not returning but you have still wasted your time and money. Perhaps a tv programme about Cowboy Photographers?

If you are fortunate to have a good working relationship with a photographer who will listen to your ideas and not try to impose their own on you then, providing you think it's value for money, it's obviously wise to stick with them.

I've seen some professional photos that are decidely amateurish and photos taken by amateurs that look great. One lady that I know has her husband take the photos. He is not a professional and doesn't use an expensive camera but he takes very good pictures indeed. They discuss what they want the resultant photo to look like and take care with the pose, the makeup, the clothes and the background to give the photos an individual feel rather than production line.

I'm no expert but I'm sure that I, and many others, could take better photos in a lot of cases than ones I have seen. One of the good things about digital cameras is that you can click away to your hearts content knowing that bad photos can be deleted and whether you take 20 photos or 200 it doesn't matter. There are reasons other than money as to why you would experiment with having a partner or friend or even a client take some photos but what have you got to loose? Most people have a camera nowadays and all the photos don't have to be nude or semi-nude. Some of the sexiest women I have ever seen have had hardly any skin showing. Nothing to stop such photos being taken anywhere.

^^ This. I had a shoot once and clearly outlined what I wanted done to photographer. She chose to ignore me totally and turn me into a little ebony alien lady. Not pleased.

This is one of the reasons why I take my own pictures. Yes they may not be the best, but they are me and I know how to take out things that can give my identity away or brighten up the colour etc, which is all I really need to do. The only problem is I find it hard to know which ones to use and which ones to bin, but I'm getting there.

The only problem is I find it hard to know which ones to use and which ones to bin, but I'm getting there.

Just a suggestion but if you have a close friend or even a regular that you think will give you an honest opinion then why not ask them?

This is one of the reasons why I take my own pictures. Yes they may not be the best, but they are me and I know how to take out things that can give my identity away or brighten up the colour etc, which is all I really need to do. The only problem is I find it hard to know which ones to use and which ones to bin, but I'm getting there.

Just a suggestion but if you have a close friend or even a regular that you think will give you an honest opinion then why not ask them?

That is very good advice from Mr Gibbs (as I must call him).

I was chatting with a lady recently, and in the course of our conversation she said that she didn't want to post the results of her latest photo shoot on her site, because they'd been photoshopped so well that she looked perfect, which she isn't, quite!

We then came up with the disclaimer attached to the illustrations on almost all food packaging of "serving suggestion", and wondered whether WGs who post photoshopped images should apply a suitable disclaimer, particularly where the lady was "done" in an exotic studio with period furniture, of "Shagging Suggestion"?

Your lady sounds delightfully sincere.

No doubt the Advertising Standards Authority ought to require all WG pictures to carry a best-before-date and to state that past performance is no guarantee of future results: your "investment" may go down as well as up.

Cheers!

If I put it on to one of those sites where you can store pics and show them I could do that, but which ones are secure and safe to put saucy pics on? I wouldn't want them to get into the wrong hands.

If I put it on to one of those sites where you can store pics and show them I could do that, but which ones are secure and safe to put saucy pics on? I wouldn't want them to get into the wrong hands.

The last thing that I would suggest is to pass them on to a third party. I wouldn't even e-mail them to a close friend. If it was me I would show whoever it might be the prints or show them the photo's on my laptop or desk top. No matter how well you think you know your friend or regular circumstances can change. You must not allow them to leave your control. And it is important that you show them to someone who will give you an honest opinion rather than what they think you want to hear.

The last thing that I would suggest is to pass them on to a third party. I wouldn't even e-mail them to a close friend. If it was me I would show whoever it might be the prints or show them the photo's on my laptop or desk top. No matter how well you think you know your friend or regular circumstances can change. You must not allow them to leave your control. And it is important that you show them to someone who will give you an honest opinion rather than what they think you want to hear.

Ah that is where it falls down then, as the one or two people that I trust live in my home town and I am rarely there.  I'm the touring gal remember.