Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YourSlave

Does This Constitute Rape?

16 posts in this topic

I came across this- an article written by a female gamer who claims rape is possible in Grand Theft Auto games.

http://spooky.ms11.net/pages/p2.html

Rape does in fact does take place, or is made possible, by the game makers in GTA. If one has sex with a prostitute in the game, one can then beat the prostitute up (some reports say that one can murder the prostitute) and take one's money back, and this, my friends, constitutes rape.

Is she correct?  If the sex was consensual in the first place, would anything that happened AFTER change that fact? So if a player does pay for a prostitute's services in the game then kill her after the act is finished to get his money back is that really rape? I would have said the crimes committed were murder and theft, not rape.

I came across this- an article written by a female gamer who claims rape is possible in Grand Theft Auto games.

http://spooky.ms11.net/pages/p2.html

Is she correct?  If the sex was consensual in the first place, would anything that happened AFTER change that fact? So if a player does pay for a prostitute's services in the game then kill her after the act is finished to get his money back is that really rape? I would have said the crimes committed were murder and theft, not rape.

She's wrong.

Rape is committed where there is no consent to the sexual act. 

The profession of the victim is of no consequence.

She's wrong.

Rape is committed where there is no consent to the sexual act. 

The profession of the victim is of no consequence.

more to the point you can withdraw consent up to and during the act.  but not after.

but isnt there some law that says if you have unportected sex with someone while knowing yourself to be HIV positive, then that is rape?

more to the point you can withdraw consent up to and during the act.  but not after.

but isnt there some law that says if you have unportected sex with someone while knowing yourself to be HIV positive, then that is rape?

Not rape but 'assault' and covered by the Offences Against the Person Act 1861 ===> http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/Vict/24-25/100/contents.

The defence of 'consent' will only run where there has been prior disclosure of the HIV status. 

(If any of our legal eagles have better, more up to date info, feel free to jump in.)

Ok - Yes in GTA, which has been out for years by the way, you can kill the prostitute to get your money back. She has to die to drop the money, so you can't simply beat her up. This does not constitute rape in British law, although the game is set in the USA - but it's not rape there either AFAIK. She consented to sex. You've murdered her, but you haven't raped her. As for the HIV issue that's usually prosecuted as GBH - there have been quite a few cases just like that. Rape is penetration of the mouth, anus or vagina without consent. You can't withdraw consent later and it doesn't become rape if the money is stolen back, or turns out to be forged notes, or the cheque bounces or indeed if the guy puts his trousers on and walks out the door when he'd told you that he loved you and wanted to be with you always. I vaguely remember a case where a man was charged after posing as his twin brother or something....can't remember what happened in the end, or whether it was in this country so there may be some complexities but certainly not regarding taking the money back.

If you have unprotected sex with someone whilst in the knowledge of being personaly HIV positive then it should be classed as attempted murder. You know that she will not be guaranteed to discover her hiv status unless she gets tested, you know that even if she does discover it fairly early before she gets ill then not all meds work with all people and its still a tricky business getting the right combination, you know that eventually she will die from an illness that could have been controlled and non lethal if her immune system wasnt suppressed by the HIV or worse she could develope full blown AIDS. In my book thats attempting to kill someone in the craftiest nastiest way.

An assault is something that you can usually get over physically, HIV isnt curable yet.

I also feel that if you discover that someone had unprotected sex with you in full knowledge that they were HIV positive but you were lucky and didnt catch it off them it still constitutes as attemted murder. Just because they failed to infect you doesn't make their attempt any less disgusting. If you try to shoot someone and nick them on the arm and they live its still attempted murder...you just failed. Its still an attempt.

Edited by Chloe Kisses

If you have unprotected sex with someone whilst in the knowledge of being personaly HIV positive then it should be classed as attempted murder.

and what is more I would say if the person catches the HIV virus and dies then it should be murder!

If you have unprotected sex with someone whilst in the knowledge of being personaly HIV positive then it should be classed as attempted murder. You know that she will not be guaranteed to discover her hiv status unless she gets tested, you know that even if she does discover it fairly early before she gets ill then not all meds work with all people and its still a tricky business getting the right combination, you know that eventually she will die from an illness that could have been controlled and non lethal if her immune system wasnt suppressed by the HIV or worse she could develope full blown AIDS. In my book thats attempting to kill someone in the craftiest nastiest way.

An assault is something that you can usually get over physically, HIV isnt curable yet.

I also feel that if you discover that someone had unprotected sex with you in full knowledge that they were HIV positive but you were lucky and didnt catch it off them it still constitutes as attemted murder. Just because they failed to infect you doesn't make their attempt any less disgusting. If you try to shoot someone and nick them on the arm and they live its still attempted murder...you just failed. Its still an attempt.

The way the law works, in order to convict someone of murder you only need to prove that they intended to cause serious harm. But to convict someone of attempted murder then you need to prove that they literally were trying to kill them. Being reckless as to whether they die is not enough. Similarly with HIV, even if they do die you can't really prove that they intended serious harm - most of the time they're in denial as to their status or simply playing roulette i.e being reckless but not actually intending to pass on the virus, or therefore inflict harm.

So for example you could have someone decide that they're going to break someone's legs and beat them around the back etc. with the intention of putting them in a wheelchair. If they die, it's murder - but if they live it's GBH, since they weren't actually trying to kill them.

And this is a game?

What a wonderful World we live in and how we educate our Children in the ways of the World...

Can you buy guns in this 'game' and go and shoot lots of Children?

mmm I had a conversation with my kids about some of the games they play, 90% of their gaming time its call of duty which is a warfare game. They said of the other games "mum, its not real, no one does that in real life unless they are sick in the head" phew!!! I think the problem comes with these games when you have a person who is perhaps not altogether connected with reality already or on the verge of disconnecting or in their heads their reality is so awful/boring that the in-game reality seems so much better and more exiting. 

Rape, killing kids, whats next, mugging grannys for their bloody heating bill money!

And this is a game?

What a wonderful World we live in and how we educate our Children in the ways of the World...

Can you buy guns in this 'game' and go and shoot lots of Children?

Yes, you can buy guns, it's one of the main things you need to do to get anywhere in the game. No children in the game though. The whole "world" is adults only. 

Hiring a hooker is a way of restoring your health if you've been injured and like all characters they can be attacked and killed by you, and will drop any money they have. Other characters will drop weapons too.

mmm I had a conversation with my kids about some of the games they play, 90% of their gaming time its call of duty which is a warfare game. They said of the other games "mum, its not real, no one does that in real life unless they are sick in the head" phew!!! I think the problem comes with these games when you have a person who is perhaps not altogether connected with reality already or on the verge of disconnecting or in their heads their reality is so awful/boring that the in-game reality seems so much better and more exiting.

OT, I admit, but a thousand, or so, years ago I went with my spouse to the National Theatre's (excellent) Mystery Plays. As luck would have it, we saw Part 2, then a day later, Part 1, but no matter. Adam & Eve were wheeled on in a large scallop shell, hidden under cork chippings. When God created them, they reared up, naked as the good book says, scattering the chippings - I got the idea that Adam might have been having a little fun, while waiting to be created, on account of he had a bit of cork stuck in his foreskin, however, I digress: Sitting in front of us on the floor, was a progressive mother with her darling brat, called, I think, Cedric. He was eating Mars Bars in his hot little hand. Enter Cain & Abel. They argue, then Cain slays Abel, who falls, thud, to the floor, tearing open a wee baggy of some red powder, to look like blood. Cedric is horrified - in his nice part of London, brother doesn't kill brother - he asks his mother whether Abel is really dead, and Mummy reassures him that he'll get up and walk off in a moment, at which point a brutal stage-hand in a boiler suit walks on, ties a rope round Abel's ankle, and drags the body off....

Cedric needs a cuddle!

Yes, you can buy guns, it's one of the main things you need to do to get anywhere in the game. No children in the game though. The whole "world" is adults only. 

Hiring a hooker is a way of restoring your health if you've been injured and like all characters they can be attacked and killed by you, and will drop any money they have. Other characters will drop weapons too.

Strewth!

Coming soon to a game console near you: Jimmy Savile the molesting game.

Choose your weapon and decide which school to lay waste to.

Steal a car and ram raid shops.

Isn't the new dictator of North(?) Vietnam rumoured to be a gamer?

Strewth!

Coming soon to a game console near you: Jimmy Savile the molesting game.

Choose your weapon and decide which school to lay waste to.

Steal a car and ram raid shops.

Isn't the new dictator of North(?) Vietnam rumoured to be a gamer?

You can steal cars too. No ram raiding,...at least not yet although it wouldn't surprise me if that's possible in a future version of the game. No schools or kids though as I said.  The gimmick of the game is that it's an open world and you can go anywhere and do anything. The latest version has been out for years and there are several other versions going back 15 years. It's just a game, one that moral crusaders like to latch on to every now and again.