Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
seattle29

Anyone Reported A Wg To The Authorities?

26 posts in this topic

I arranged to meet a WG from the other site a few days ago, and when I got to her hotel room, she spoke no English (none at all, not even a single word), she didn't know which city she was in and had some severe bruises on her. She also looked quite depressed and exhausted. I asked where she was from (pointing to a map on my phone) and she was reluctant to tell me but I eventually found out she was Hungarian.

I didn't stay (made up an excuse and left), but later that day I passed her details onto Crimestoppers. In my opinion it was 99.99% likely that she'd been trafficked into the UK and was being controlled by a gang. Even if she came to the UK of her own accord, the bruises and lack of English seemed to suggest she'd been exploited.

Has anyone else been in the same position? I genuinely hope the Police investigate and find out who was controlling her.

I have never been in this situation and pray that I never am, but good on you.

You did a very heroic thing. I think quite a few people would choose not to get involved in case it comes back to them somehow.

I hope the police are able to help this woman.

That sounds utterly horrific, and yes I would have done the same thing. Good on you for doing it.

I really hope they took prompt action and she got help.

I did worry for a few minutes that a record of my texts/phone calls to her would be on her phone, but I doubt the police would be interested in her customers. More interested in her boss!

Well done. I hope they were able to react fast enough to get to her while she was still in the hotel, but I doubt it.

You did absolutely the right thing.

Well done you. I wish more would do the same.

Some years back I met an absolutely stunning Russian lady, tall slim and drop dead gorgeous. Her English was quite good, she was one of many that mailed me out of the blue wanting to get involved with the Nympho parties we were then running. She would have been an absolute asset to us of that I have no doubt, I also went to build her website for her. Then we ran into a problem, we would always ask to see a foreign girls passport before taking her to a photographer and she couldn't produce one. So I talked to her and discovered she had been taken to Paris by her then supposed boyfriend who immediately took her passport and forced her into a brothel. She escaped and managed to get over here, but by then had no passport and no means of earning.

I felt sad for her but didn't report her because she was insisting the she wanted to stay here and work. She did go on to work for another party crowd and did very well for a time before managing to return home.

During her time here I stayed in touch with her and she rang me out of the blue one night. Could I get down to London and help her out, she had come across two other ladies that were in a right mess being pimped against their wishes and in the same position she was in whilst in Paris.

So with the help of a couple of clients and another working girl we managed to distract these girls minder and sneak them out of the back door of a chemist and I brought them home with the other Russian girl to translate for them because of their lack of English. Their stories were sad, both stunning, but when it was just women in the room with them they were obviously very depressed. One had a horrible scar down her back from her abusers. When a man walked into the room they dazzled with their smiles and hid all this, it seemed like they were conditioned.

To cut a long story short, I contacted The Poppy Appeal to get them help to discover they only had 11 beds in the whole of the UK at that time and couldn't help, they would have to go on a waiting list, so we got help elsewhere, pulled some strings and eventually got them back home.

My point is (and I'm sure I've mentioned this before) if you were a man there were few clues that these girls were here and working against their own will, you would have been greeted with the dazzling smiles and probably given a great service. So in my book what you have done is commendable, if there is an inkling of doubt you have definitely done the right thing.

I heard from a reliable source that Russian girls are promised legit work in a western country - get over here with a big debt owing to the company that brought them - have their docs taken from them - given no money - and are then forced into prostitution to pay off the debt.

Not just Russians, Lancelot.

Saw this post on another board -

"Under the new(ish) Harman law you are committing a crime by engaging with a lady who is being coerced or controlled against her will, even if you don't realise it at the time..

So the last thing you want to do is report it to the police.

"Excuse me officer, you didn't know a crime had been committed, but it has and I done it".

Another example of the Harman joined up thinking.

But Crimestoppers is an independent charity, totally unconnected to the police.

Not a lot of people know that.

0800 555 111 to report any crime anonymously."

You contact them; they contact the police.

I did worry for a few minutes that a record of my texts/phone calls to her would be on her phone, but I doubt the police would be interested in her customers. More interested in her boss!

Don't be so sure about the police. Crimestoppers is the way to go because it's anonymous and, in these cases, necessary. If you haven't already got yourself a payg phone for punting then you should do so. Only switched on when you need to use it and that's the number you use for AW if you frequent that site. Then you can be the good samaritan without problems.

Not just Russians, Lancelot.

Saw this post on another board -

"Under the new(ish) Harman law you are committing a crime by engaging with a lady who is being coerced or controlled against her will, even if you don't realise it at the time..

So the last thing you want to do is report it to the police.

"Excuse me officer, you didn't know a crime had been committed, but it has and I done it".

Another example of the Harman joined up thinking.

But Crimestoppers is an independent charity, totally unconnected to the police.

Not a lot of people know that.

0800 555 111 to report any crime anonymously."

You contact them; they contact the police.

That's an unfair law as an unwitting punter could end up being prosecuted. As for me - I never get into anything unless I see the girl has good spirits about it. I did walk into a flat in Peterboro a while ago which was occupied by Russian girls - who all looked totally fed up and nobody smiled at me at all. I just said sorry and left.

But being anonymous to who you report it to isn't the point is it? If the police found this WG and really investigated her business they'd have her mobile records and the OP might be implicated (albeit unlikely?).

And I don't think you can get an anonymous mobile or SIM these days can you?

But being anonymous to who you report it to isn't the point is it? If the police found this WG and really investigated her business they'd have her mobile records and the OP might be implicated (albeit unlikely?).

And I don't think you can get an anonymous mobile or SIM these days can you?

You can buy a SIM for £5 cash over the counter in my local Co-op. You can top it up using cash at any ATM or at a convenience store.

Yes, there are some who will say that at the time of top up you risk having a mug shot taken on CCTV, but in my view the risk is very small, and worthwhile unless you have the intention of being "up to no good" as my mother might have said.

You can buy a SIM for £5 cash over the counter in my local Co-op. You can top it up using cash at any ATM or at a convenience store.

Er, can that be correct? I've not yet met an ATM which allows me to input cash, like Tesco's self-service tills, but only cards, which, unless you go to the extra expense and complexity of buying a pre-paid card, identify you! At the till of the convenience store, for cash, certainly.

Er, can that be correct? I've not yet met an ATM which allows me to input cash, like Tesco's self-service tills, but only cards, which, unless you go to the extra expense and complexity of buying a pre-paid card, identify you! At the till of the convenience store, for cash, certainly.

You are quite right and I have made my mistake for the year!! I'm sure I won't make another one this year!

Yes you can top up a SIM with cash at a convenience store, a supermarket and many filling stations but NOT, using cash, at an ATM. There you will need a credit/debit card which will provide a trace.

Sorry for misleading the world.

You are quite right and I have made my mistake for the year!! I'm sure I won't make another one this year!

Yes you can top up a SIM with cash at a convenience store, a supermarket and many filling stations but NOT, using cash, at an ATM. There you will need a credit/debit card which will provide a trace.

Sorry for misleading the world.

If the police really, really want to find you they usually can, cash top up or not(there are cameras all over the place these days which can track most of our moves). I very much doubt they'd be that determined over a report made to crimestoppers linked to an offence  for which there has never been a prosecution for in this country, and one that is difficult to prove.

I've not seen a payphone suggested which I thought would have been pretty obvious, or am I missing something here?

Edited by Strawberry

If the police really, really want to find you they usually can, cash top up or not(there are cameras all over the place these days which can track most of our moves). I very much doubt they'd be that determined over a report made to crimestoppers linked to an offence  for which there has never been a prosecution for in this country, and one that is difficult to prove.

I've not seen a payphone suggested which I thought would have been pretty obvious, or am I missing something here?

Not just pretty obvious, but very obvious!  It often takes someone young to point out these things to us pensioners!

Would a call to Crimestoppers be free? And are there not CCTV cameras covering the shopping arcade etc where the phone box might be? But if you wish to get paranoid then you would never open your front door. But, as Strawberry says, Mr Plod will have better things to do than to try to trace who made such a call.

No, you are right a payphone would be a great way to go.

Well done. I hope they were able to react fast enough to get to her while she was still in the hotel, but I doubt it.

You did absolutely the right thing.

Agreed. And you committed no crime AFAIK as you saw the signs and reacted accordingly.

Re the payg sim thing ...... it's not just the sim, the phone call data record carries the EMEI no. of the device as well so if you were really up to no good (not suggesting at all that the OP was) then you would have to be sure that the handset itself couldn't be tied back to you

And Strawbs, yes you were missing the obvious. It wasn't the anonymity of the call to Crimestoppers but the evidence retrievable on the WGs mobile phone

From a quick perusal of the Crimestoppers web site (linked above) it seems that you can report to them using an on line form, which would be impossible to trace back, especially if you went to an internet cafe (but I don't think in this situation that level of paranoia is justified).

And Strawbs, yes you were missing the obvious. It wasn't the anonymity of the call to Crimestoppers but the evidence retrievable on the WGs mobile phone

Then again if someone else reports her situation or the police already have her in their sights, you are still going to be part of the evidence - if they decided to pursue and we've no evidence they've ever done this yet.

Edited by Strawberry

OP - Well done for following your consience .

Bruises are always a bad thing, but

lack of English seemed to suggest she'd been exploited.

??

I have met a few of WGs fresh from EE with absolutely no english.Its very common for them to sign up with an boss/pimp/agency quite willingly and be taken to a flat somewhere in England to work for a few weeks,or a month and then go back home,or move to another town.

But you were in a situation,made a judgement,and acted - again,well done!

I agree - I was just picking up on the OP's own point raised in post #4 and answering your question

Then again if someone else reports her situation or the police already have her in their sights, you are still going to be part of the evidence - if they decided to pursue and we've no evidence they've ever done this yet.

Re the payg sim thing ...... it's not just the sim, the phone call data record carries the EMEI no. of the device as well so if you were really up to no good (not suggesting at all that the OP was) then you would have to be sure that the handset itself couldn't be tied back to you

Personally I got a PAYG sim from Tesco which I have never registered.  I can top it up using their self service tills, paying cash, and never using my clubcard during that transaction.

Ultimately, if the security services cared enough they would track you down eventually using call records and cell tower location data, but the local plod are unlikely to go to that sort of trouble for you reporting a distressed prostitute.