Barrack

Netherlands mulls register of prostitutes

5 posts in this topic

The Netherlands has planned legislation to set up a National Register of Prostitutes.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2009/11/visits_to_illegal_prostitutes.php

I'm not sure how the ladies from here would view such a register if it were implemented in the UK, but if the UK Govt didn't have a secret agenda to ban all prostitution it might be a way forward for the UK punters to see ladies with a high level of confidence they wouldn't get into trouble with the authorities for it.

It's a great idea, but I think the fear of social stigma and isolation would prevent ladies from signing up in the UK, particularly those that plan to retire in the near future anyway.

Of course that is all dependant on what information the register would hold.

The Netherlands has planned legislation to set up a National Register of Prostitutes.

http://www.dutchnews.nl/news/archives/2009/11/visits_to_illegal_prostitutes.php

I'm not sure how the ladies from here would view such a register if it were implemented in the UK, but if the UK Govt didn't have a secret agenda to ban all prostitution it might be a way forward for the UK punters to see ladies with a high level of confidence they wouldn't get into trouble with the authorities for it.

Yes and when (if?) ID cards are ever introduced, perhaps they could have some form of symbol on them to signify that the bearer is a 'registered prostitute'. (I vote for a large, scarlet letter A.) ;)

B

With the UK Government history of losing data, I doubt many would sign up.;)

It'd be tricky for a part-timer surely? Particularly for a moonlighting secretary from the Amsterdam tax office whom I once met in the Apollo -a bordello of extortionate charges and nice architecture, now closed, I think.

'Do you declare your earnings?' I asked her, after she told me about the day job.

'I'd like to,' she replied, but they won't let me have a second job, so I can't.