Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
YourSlave

Promising Results From A Prostitution Survey By The Courier

14 posts in this topic

http://www.thecourier.co.uk/news/scotland/courier-survey-most-believe-brothels-should-be-run-by-state-1.66487

149 respondents. Not exactly representative of the country but still promising. For all of the questions asked the legal/tolerance answers got the most yes vote.
 Going by this poll at least the proposals by Rhoda Grant are not publicly supported :)

I wonder if the recent media attention on brothels for the disabled and The Sessions movie have swayed people's opinion towards a yes for the first Q?

Should state-regulated brothels should be introduced?

Yes- 58%

No, they should remain a crime- 37%

Unsure- 5%

Should prostitution be legal?

Yes- 44%

No- 26%

Unsure- 30%

Is sex with a prostitute acceptable?

Yes it is a person's own business- 43%

In certain circumstances- 21%

Never- 25%

Unsure- 11%

Should lap dancing clubs be legal?

Yes- 58%

No- 24%

Unsure- 14%

Interesting that the article actually identifies the RLD of Dundee by street name, just to help any poor sod with a wish to get caught "in flagrante" with a street walker!

Too small a sample to be really representative, but, surely, evidence that there is a need for a properly run survey on this topic.

these surveys often show that the swedish model is only supported by a minority, as most people accept that what happens in private between consenting adults is no business of the state

these surveys often show that the swedish model is only supported by a minority, as most people accept that what happens in private between consenting adults is no business of the state

+1

Not even worth mentioning a study with less than a sample of 1000 - it is virtually meaningless.

Not even worth mentioning a study with less than a sample of 1000 - it is virtually meaningless.

Disagree.

Most opinion polls have samples of about this size

Disagree.

Most opinion polls have samples of about this size

What?? Polls based on a sample of 149 responses?? It seems you must be a Daily Wail reader if you believe that sort of tripe.

There are very strict rules about opinion polls in this country and you will very rarely see a sample with less than 1000 responses. Statistically any less in liable to be unreliable.

I suggest, Mr Tugg, that you acquaint yourself with a few facts from the real world and not the Wail Fantasy World.

What?? Polls based on a sample of 149 responses?? It seems you must be a Daily Wail reader if you believe that sort of tripe.

There are very strict rules about opinion polls in this country and you will very rarely see a sample with less than 1000 responses. Statistically any less in liable to be unreliable.

I suggest, Mr Tugg, that you acquaint yourself with a few facts from the real world and not the Wail Fantasy World.

radio stations do telephone polls of 100 - 200 people - but the most rigorous pollsters - mori etc - seems to consider 1500+ as a minimum and they have a scientific methodology which reduces bias one way or another.

It's an encouraging response, regardless of sample size. 

radio stations do telephone polls of 100 - 200 people - but the most rigorous pollsters - mori etc - seems to consider 1500+ as a minimum and they have a scientific methodology which reduces bias one way or another.

but these tend to be knee jerk polls, rather than attempts to find reliable  answers to political or economic questions.

It's an encouraging response, regardless of sample size. 

I just asked a geezer in the pub at lunch some of those questions - odd - he looked like someone who might be up for it all - but I was wrong - he was dead set against brothels etc.

That was a discouraging response - regardless of sample size.

You're quite right. I apologise as I misread the quote. 

You're quite right. I apologise as I misread the quote. 

Apology accepted with no hard feelings. It pays to read threads very carefully. I don't always follow my own advice, and am quite capable of putting my foot in my mouth!

I would be curious about the gender/age/religioun of those who responded against prostitution. 

It is hard to accept that in 2013 UK the society still thinks they can ban physical interaction between two consenting adults.