Beauregard

Hatchet Job On Pn

33 posts in this topic

Apologies if this has been reported on before, I only just came across it:

http://www.kernelmag.com/features/report/3428/score-that-whore/

The headline, "Score that whore", probably says it all. Selective reporting abounds, and overall it's quite clear the writer went in with some pretty firmly lodged preconceptions (needless to say, the classic negative ones).

Clearly someone with time on his hands but no inclination to embrace our hobby except at second hand. I wonder if his wrist was aching after he had finished perusing all the reports he was "forced" to read?

as usual they chose NOT to post anything much about the up side of the forum or the posative reviews. So therefore although a semi interesting read, its not really a decent blog as it only shows one side

and a big shout out "hello" to any new members who joined because they read that blog, came to have a look and decided to join when they realised what a one sided blog it was

Edited by Chloe Kisses

I couldn't stop laughing at some of the comments, 'a website for criminals'.. what the fuck..... since when have we been criminals?  'Sex has to be earned not paid for'... Feel for any guy that young lady hooks up with...lol

I couldn't stop laughing at some of the comments, 'a website for criminals'.. what the fuck..... since when have we been criminals?  'Sex has to be earned not paid for'... Feel for any guy that young lady hooks up with...lol

Just like money, eh?

I'd advise any guy not to go within a million miles of a woman who can write that sentence. :D

Edited by zipless

The article was an "interesting" read. If I had read it before my first punt I'd probably have cancelled, spent the money on a load of dvd's, and never thought about punting ever again. But it all goes to the journalists fall back position. Is there anything in the article that isn't true?

Good job that I started when I did. I would have missed out on a lot. Good and bad. Thankfully a lot more good than bad.

Edited by gibbs

Actually, It wasn't that bad an article - the hatchet job was more on the writing style of FRs than anything else, and some of the quotes were pretty witty. It would have been a better article if the journalist had made it clearer that 90%+ of all FRs end with a 'Yes I would return', and all these quotes were found by reading the >10% 'No I would not return' ones, but I guess they didn't want to be seen to be driving too much traffic here.

Very lazy article.a few paragraphs intersperesed into what amounts to stolen material used under the guise of examples.I'm presuming its an amateur thing although they could probably flog that title to the sun.
Also "The girl would maybe have breached the Sale of Goods act if it applied her". I couldnt help but chuckle over some of the quotes

Strange that they never, ever, quote Man Meat.

Actually, It wasn't that bad an article - the hatchet job was more on the writing style of FRs than anything else, and some of the quotes were pretty witty. It would have been a better article if the journalist had made it clearer that 90%+ of all FRs end with a 'Yes I would return', and all these quotes were found by reading the >10% 'No I would not return' ones, but I guess they didn't want to be seen to be driving too much traffic here.

Sorry, I would suggest that this in itself does make it a bad article. 

Sorry, I would suggest that this in itself does make it a bad article. 

I was only able to read half of it before I realised I could die and have wasted so much time. Everything they quoted seemed to negative, if you were to go by it no one would ever punt.

Strange that they never, ever, quote Man Meat.

Thats because most of these type of articles are intrinsically misogynistic and work on the principle that women need protecting from everything and are in no way capable of determining what they want to do with their lives or their bodies

Like most people knocking on in years, I've got to know a few factual areas pretty well. 

Nearly always when I read articles on these few areas even in the heavyweight papers factual errors and wrong statements abound.

The papers "detailed research" on most topics is nothing more than one reporter phoning a self proclaimed expert, and having a brief conversation. Even on those cases where the reporter flukes calling the right person in the first place, usually the reporter proceeds to interpret wrongly whatever the expert says.

I suppose given that (and an inbuilt bias against punting anyway), we're rarely going to see any substantial accurate articles on punting.

sounds like he did what the editor asked him to do. he's got no reason to be delving into the world of prostitution in the first place, if he is not interested in it. and what does it take to look at a web site, where everything is handed out on a plate? Pointless.

15 minutes of fame. A re-hash of old ideas and style. Enjoyed the comments though.

Laughable one sided garbage!

Quick observation. Context: I'm based in US and not familiar with related UK law-

FWIW- here in the States I'm pretty sure this tripe would be (legally) considered a clear example of plagarism given that aprox 75% of it is 'lifted' directly from this forum.

(There are relevant guidelines around review & fair usage of 3rd party material etc & it's ironic given that the libel laws over here are much more lax)- but if this Kernel piece was published here I'd imagine it'd launch an IP infringement lawsuit in about three seconds flat!

I wasted 10 minutes of my life speed-reading it.  The musings of some sad old wanker thwucking away in some dark corner of the internet where nobody goes and nobody cares.  

Edited by WhilstNeroplays

Well I wouldn't pay £5.50 a month for that cut & pasted drivel.

I'd rather save my money for a bored, ugly, spotty, overweight, one-legged, pimped EE girl with an arm in a sling, who offers RO, OWO, CIM and can FK.

Edited by Taggart

My problem with this article (aside from my Man Meat comment above) is that it doesn't really provide anything like a reasoned, coherent argument against prostitution (or more specifically men who use the their services). It's a somewhat sneering and superior piece of journalism that seems to be implying that men who punt are mysoginistic, exploitative and insensitive. WGs are portrayed as victims.

The facts are that some men do fit that description and that in a database of the size of PNs you are always going to be able to find examples of the sort he picks out. I could show you similar examples on some of the car forums I frequent. The views aren't specific to punters and shouldn't be inferred to reflect all men who punt. That's certainly not to say I agree with the tone or content if some of those he quotes.

As has already been said, a more balanced view would have looked more widely than his limited sample of FRs and would have more broadly considered the views of the large number of happy WGs who post on the forum. It would also have looked a little more closely at the examples of discussions around reporting various situations to Crimestoppers before asserting that there's no evidence of any FRs being rejected in the grounds of trafficking or under age prostitution.

Finally, it could have considered the question as to whether in an environment without coercion a transparent mechanism for exchanging information might actually be in all participant's (both punters and WGs) favour.

But it didn't. Rather like the books you can buy which include quotes of disastrous school reports or hilarious staff appraisals this chap took the easy route of cherry picking a few of the more extreme examples and smugly sitting back.

Which is a very long-winded way of saying its devoid of any intellectual merit and so probably not worth bothering with.

Hmm.

Which is a very long-winded way of saying its devoid of any intellectual merit and so probably not worth bothering with.

Hmm.

and it took you 748 words to say just that!!

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="porker paul" data-cid="486484" data-time="1360013300"><p>

and it took you 748 words to say just that!!</p></blockquote>

I was on a train and had nothing else to do... ;)

Like most people knocking on in years, I've got to know a few factual areas pretty well. 

Nearly always when I read articles on these few areas even in the heavyweight papers factual errors and wrong statements abound.

The papers "detailed research" on most topics is nothing more than one reporter phoning a self proclaimed expert, and having a brief conversation. Even on those cases where the reporter flukes calling the right person in the first place, usually the reporter proceeds to interpret wrongly whatever the expert says.

I suppose given that (and an inbuilt bias against punting anyway), we're rarely going to see any substantial accurate articles on punting.

Yes. It is a shame that that seems to be the case.

I was only able to read half of it before I realised I could die and have wasted so much time. Everything they quoted seemed to negative, if you were to go by it no one would ever punt.

I only spent a minute and a half reading it as i scrolled through most of the quoted stuff. Some blog huh lol... less than two minutes of actual intellectual musings about what he was quoting, next time he should just leave a blank page with the link, it would be a more interesting read. I dearly hope that numpty isnt actually getting paid for such a boring blog. Mine is boring as hell as I never can think of anything to write once im in there , unlike on here  :cool:

It's easy to be paranoid, I know, but I wonder if it is just a coincidence that another negative piece on the sex industry (albeit in Holland) has been published in the last few days:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/8835071/flesh-for-sale/

The author, one Julie Bindel, seems to be a long term opponent of consensual adults managing their own sex lives:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julie_Bindel