ringo

Blackmail Threat - Legal Advice Needed.

127 posts in this topic

I hope it is ok to post this in the General discussion forum,where it will be most noticed.

I have recieved a threat of blackmail from a WG who knows too much about me.

She wants money from me ,or she will tell my wife about my activities with her and others.

This was communicated by a brief call to my mobile phone.

She wants to meet me this week to recieve money.

There is nothing I can do to stop her speaking  to my wife.

I have no intention of paying her - I would rather face the consequences.

I want to know what sort of evidence is required to convict someone of blackmail?

I only wish to hear about what I can legally to punish her if she carries this through.

I have no record of the contents of the first phone call,only of the fact that a call was made.

First off.....deep breaths.

This woman is playing you no doubt, but just in case I advise you to do the same as the chaps above me have already said.

Scum resort to these type of antics, I know that personally as it has happeend to me.

You will survive, but I really hope she is just some nutter who will not follow through with her threats for your and yours sake.

All the best.

Lucy  :)

Edited by Lucy7

yes - I guess I should.

if just to log a record of the event.

maybe they will give me some good advice - but i have no faith in them - for the most part they dont know the law.

I dont want to sound arrogant - but I have pervious experience of their bad advice.

Call the police right away. Your activities may require some explaining and it's a distinct likelihood that Mrs Ringo is going to find out.

This blackmailer knows you have four options:

• Ignore her and call her bluff
  • Meet her and try to talk her out of this nasty affair
  • Pay up
  • Call the police

She's hoping you'll take the third option, probably expecting the second, but unless utterly retarded, taking a calculated risk that you won't do four.

Horrid situation. One of many reasons why this hobby really ought be just for single guys.

All the best.

Edited by Kodiak

thanks Lucy - sympathy is welcome - I am in deep shock.

yes - I guess I should.

if just to log a record of the event.

maybe they will give me some good advice - but i have no faith in them - for the most part they dont know the law.

I dont want to sound arrogant - but I have pervious experience of their bad advice.

That was another time and another problem.

This is something new.

The police can be VERY good you know..

I want to know what sort of evidence is required to convict someone of blackmail?

I only wish to hear about what I can legally to punish her if she carries this through.

The police usually take blackmail seriously and if convicted a prison sentence is common. Don't contact her with a view to obtaining evidence. Leave it to the police.

You either change your number, ignore her and call her bluff, or contact the police. Don't contact her again unless the police ask you to.

In contrast to Silverado's valid points - but another view all the same.....

Would it be worth trying to text her in an effort to get some evidence on your phone before going to the police? She may slip up and incriminate herself.

A long shot I know but hard evidence would make it more difficult for the police to ignore...

Edited by Burty

Agreed with all these.

If you can get to your local Police staton, do so. Make an appointment and take any evidence with you.

DON'T tell the blackmailer what you are up to, let the Police advise on the best course of action.

It may be that, thay will ring her and explain their suspisions.

Good luck.

I am confused and scared and very angry.

My thoughts right now are mostly of revenge- to respond with my own attack - of how I can destroy her life whether she carries this through or not.

Its very ugly.

Plainly I need to be more calm.

I think I will do nothing for tonight,and try to collect my thoughts.

My thoughts right now are mostly of revenge- to respond with my own attack - of how I can destroy her life whether she carries this through or not.

Its very ugly.

Plainly I need to be more calm.

I think I will do nothing for tonight,and try to collect my thoughts.

Chill.....

I feel your pain.

Do not do anything in haste ringo

Lucy x

Easy to say I know, but Definitely try to take a step back, and make a rational, calm, decision - not one when you are in a blind rage.....

From better advice than I can give, collecting your thoughts alone may not be the way to go.

The focus of most responses here is to establish contact with the police.

Once that is done, you have the start of a defence against her behaviour.

Obviously you are going to be most concerned about what you say to your wife if the information reaches her and that is for you to think about but a pity to ask for advice and get a fairly consistent piece of advice and ignore it.

That will be better than giving space in your head to the more extreme thoughts you have given us a flavour on here.

Edited by vivluvsme

Awful mate and a good reminder to us all.

I would say just start to ignore her and change your number.

She has nothing to gain by telling your Mrs and will soon lose interest when you stop responding.

Maybe take the wife away for the weekend till it blows over.

Just remember the moment you start paying her anything, she will keep milking you for more and more.

Go to the police.

You won't be the first they have heard of. She may have done it to others before you.

Just remember if people had gone to the police in sufficient numbers in the 1960s, Jimmy Saville would have been nicked very quickly.

Good luck. There but for luck go many of us reading this. 

Mate firstly I hope you get out of this situation without anything nasty. You should seek legal advice but I assume you could say that you saw this girl within the confines of the law, i.e. you paid for her time. What happened between you can't be proven unless there's video or messages from you stating otherwise. However, most importantly don't pay her because there's no guarantee that once you do she'll stop there- if anything if she's bad enough to try that in the first place she's certainly bad enough to not keep her word and continue to extort you. either call her bluff or go to the bill. good luck. 

Oh you poor thing, It's so hard to know what to do isn't it? You may confess to Mrs Ringo, but you may never hear from the bitch again and it would all have been for nothing. However if you ignore this woman may tell her and you need to think how Mrs R will react someone else telling her. If you tell her first the ball is in your court and you can confess to what you want.

Also, if you do nothing this will hang over you. I suggest you go to the police. Write down as much as you can from the phone call now. Its amazing how quickly we forget things especially when under pressure.  Maybe go to the police with a good mate (or Mrs R depending on her reaction). Its sometimes better to have someone by your side to take things in if you're under pressure, give you support and buy you a pint afterwards. 

Do not contact the woman again and do not threaten her or tell her what your plans are.Say as little as possible. Listen to what she says and again write it down for record.

The police can be amazing. Trust me, I was cynical once upon a time but last time I contacted them (re a stalky client) they were understanding and non judgmental and brilliant. I can't guarantee you'll have a great time, but try not to let past incidents put you off.  

Keep us updated.

Ok deep breaths as others have said and really think about this.  This is a chancer trying their luck so turn it right back at them.  Attack is always the best form of defence.  You have to call the police but you also have to let this idiot know that you have done as much... Then you also have to make sure that G and others back you up.  Let them know that their details are going all over the net to stop them doing it to others.

I'm so so sorry this is happening to you and its absolutely awful (part of me wants you to give all the ladies here her number and let us have a go, but not sure that will help).

I know this is not what you want to hear but what would happen if you came clean at home, would it be so bad?

This won't mean a lot but I'm sending you a virtual hug and hope she gets what's coming to her. 

If you contact the police - your wife will find out and you will have unimaginable to hell to pay.

If you ignore this woman - I doubt if she will call your wife, but

If she does - then you will have to deal with it and think up a good story to cover your ass - or admit.

I think people mean well when they insist you try the police - you will certainly get a visit from plod, in your house.

I suggest you refuse to pay and call her bluff - you might even tell her your wife knows.

Awful mate and a good reminder to us all.

I would say just start to ignore her and change your number.

She has nothing to gain by telling your Mrs and will soon lose interest when you stop responding.

Maybe take the wife away for the weekend till it blows over.

Great advice - I do hope the OP has not called plod as others on here have suggested - as he will then have to own up to his wife.

Agree see the Police BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING else.

With their help you should be able to record things, probably meet her on the premise of talking her out of it and get her to spell it out on tape.

Prison will be the best form of pay back.

My thoughts right now are mostly of revenge- 

Firstly, you have my utmost sympathy, along with all who have posted already.

Secondly, banish all thoughts of revenge for now. It's time to try to get even and the best way is with your rights as an honest citizen. Go to the police and, if you can find one, take a sympathetic mate or even a solicitor. Don't delete your received calls register; that is evidence that she called you.

If you must communicate with her, do it by text and then keep your phone off so she has to text you.

Follow the advice given by others and I truly wish you luck.