Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FredDeHead

Sex Tourism Comedy Skit Irritates Thai Government

26 posts in this topic

Note: "Rosetta Stone" start isnt an ad- whole thing is a parody

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9UwjlacyvAE#!

I can understand the Thai Government taking this as offensive . I know many Thai people who would find this offensive .  Don't know why you bothered to post it here on P'net  ?  What goes down as funny in the USA doesn't always make us laugh in Europe .  The yanks are taking the piss after the way they ruined that country , with their big cocks and big bucks  . 

WP- Interesting opinions so here's a couple in response:

You addressed one stereotype with another...not to mention ( have you actually been to Thailand?) - there are just as many Brits/Australians/Germans etc roaming around the place.

Whatever about your sense of humour (btw I live in the US but am not American ;->) ..maybe let other less cantankerous people make up their own minds...but thanks for the input.

mmm i can see why they would find it offensive also. Like the bit with the "extra small condoms" though, THAT made me laugh

The joke is on the Falangs who go and start sending back money to their new girlfriends. Entire villages are subsidised by naive, sad, lonely men from the west who are more than happy to enter suspended disbelief at the notion of their relationships.

This being said, the vast majority of the country is not like this, the stereotype only applies to the bargirls who frankly other Thai people often roll their eyes at as well. Frankly, if that's the worst stereotype, a bunch of sex for sale, better than as drunk louts, fat-asses, culture-cluelessness etc that befit western stereotypes.

@Fred....has WP been to Thailand?.....Is that a joke?

WP- Interesting opinions so here's a couple in response:

You addressed one stereotype with another...not to mention ( have you actually been to Thailand?) - there are just as many Brits/Australians/Germans etc roaming around the place.

Whatever about your sense of humour (btw I live in the US but am not American ;->) ..maybe let other less cantankerous people make up their own minds...but thanks for the input.

you clearly don't read WP's posts...

I can understand the Thai Government taking this as offensive . I know many Thai people who would find this offensive .  Don't know why you bothered to post it here on P'net  ?  What goes down as funny in the USA doesn't always make us laugh in Europe .  The yanks are taking the piss after the way they ruined that country , with their big cocks and big bucks  . 

Don't know why you bothered to post it here on P'net  ?  What goes down as funny in the USA doesn't always make us laugh in Europe . 

Thanks FredDeHead - I thought it was funny and worth posting here. Most humor is at the expense of someone - here it was at the expense of the prospective punters much more than at Thailand (IMHO anyway).

Not sure why others saw it as an opportunity for a formulaic anti US rant (and no, I've not read his posts either!)

It's just a funny pis take of American sex tourism, the same thing could have been done about British, German, Dutch sex tourists.

you clearly don't read WP's posts...
Edited by WykeTyke

Yes, but what he really meant is even more explosive...

video, not funny , yanks cannot do irony.

Another interesting opinion..although just because you don't find it funny doesn't mean it isn't...as evidenced by many of the contributions above.

Saying the yanks "cannot do irony" is rather a sweeping generalization- don't get me wrong I remember watching 'Cheers' as a kid & thinking (for most part) this is a load of simplistic bollox- but it needs some context: "maintream" comedy (ie bulk of stuff that gets picked up in UK)  here in States has to appeal to a much broader audience & is oversanitized to make it onto prudish network TV. But it's a bit like saying that all Brits have bad teeth and sit around all day drinking tea...there may be a tiny germ of truth in background but it ignores a much broader reality. Check out TV show "Californication" with David Duchovny (bloke from 'X-Files') if you want to see irony that makes many British equivalents look tamer than 'Blue Peter' .... just saying!

The joke is on the Falangs who go and start sending back money to their new girlfriends. Entire villages are subsidised by naive, sad, lonely men from the west who are more than happy to enter suspended disbelief at the notion of their relationships.

This being said, the vast majority of the country is not like this, the stereotype only applies to the bargirls who frankly other Thai people often roll their eyes at as well. Frankly, if that's the worst stereotype, a bunch of sex for sale, better than as drunk louts, fat-asses, culture-cluelessness etc that befit western stereotypes.

pretty damn funny if you ask me

the Thai government is simply displaying the hypocrisy typical of most governments, or is attempting to 'save face', or both...............feigning indignation while quietly and happily raking in $squillions on the back of its booming, world famous sex trade

in any case the joke is clearly on the gullible sex tourists not on the Thai bargirls nor the country

I thought it was great and like others, saw it as a skit against men, Americans and losers in that order.

The film "Borat" didn't immediately enamour itself to the Kazkh Government.

Apparently, it gave rise to a ten-fold increment in tourism (admittedly from a probably low base.)

A downside was the Borat version of the Kazakh anthem being  played by the Kuwaitis honouring? a Kazakh Gold Medallist in 2012.

I smiled when I read the OP; needing to explain that something was not what it seemed. Most Brits don't need signposts like that, although they are common in the US. And in fact, it was not very funny.

oh fuck it.

never under estimate the P C brigade.

never even attempt humor when in presence of badly educated.

Funny funny especially the speed talking terms and conditions.