Sexygod

"Average age for entry into prostitution was 14"

9 posts in this topic

This article references Howarth stating that the "average age for entry into prostitution was 14".

Now as a punter this seems absurd to me. I have visited massage parlours and independents throughout the UK and read punting message boards. I have never had so much as a suspicion that any underaged prostitution has happened in any premise I have visited or heard discussed online.

If I did have this suspicion I would inform the police and I suspect every other decent punter would do so.

Now is my experience completely skewed? How could this figure be true?

This article references Howarth stating that the "average age for entry into prostitution was 14".

Now as a punter this seems absurd to me. I have visited massage parlours and independents throughout the UK and read punting message boards. I have never had so much as a suspicion that any underaged prostitution has happened in any premise I have visited or heard discussed online.

If I did have this suspicion I would inform the police and I suspect every other decent punter would do so.

I started at 19...one of your girls started at 54...

i think this artical may have been a little biast?

if you ask the right group of people any answer is correct.

xxx

this has been done to death already, sigh, that Howarth type is no doubth

referring to Melissa Farley's so called scientific research, which the fems

and christians ALWAYS quote.

reports such as "Prostitution, trafficking and traumatic stress "

google "average age for entry into prostitution was 14" and/or Melissa Farley

look at this thread

http://punternet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7468&highlight=shell+shocked

or if that is not enough, listen to the ladies speech here

Thanks starman. Just frustrating to read such nonsense.

Thanks starman. Just frustrating to read such nonsense.

this is worth reading

Flawed Theory and Method in Studies of Prostitution: RONALD WEITZER George Washington University

By the word "average" we tend to understand it as "mean".

Therefore for each girl who starts at 21, or even 18, there would have to be one starting at 13 or 10 in order to get the "average" of 14.

A second's thought would come to the conclusion that either:

1. The statistics are total crap
    or
  2. Great Britain is a nation of kiddly fiddlers.

I know what I think.

Therefore for each girl who starts at 21, or even 18, there would have to be one starting at 13 or 10 in order to get the "average" of 14.

[*]The statistics are total crap

Most statistics are not accurate, even in my street punting days I never saw any girls that young, 16-17 possibly.

In parlours it is rare to even find a genuine 18 year old. ;)

1. The statistics are total crap
    or
  2. Great Britain is a nation of kiddly fiddlers.

I know what I think.

It doesn't say "prostitutes in the UK"

Debunking the Myth of "Average Age of Entry"

At the Prostitution Town Hall meeting last week, several panelists stated that the average age of entry into prostitution was 12-14 year old. Although this claim is clearly implausible, it generated the impression that virtually all prostitutes started as children, and became the basis for the discussion that followed thereafter.

But the impression is unfounded. The figure comes from a 2001 report written by University of Pennsylvania researchers Richard Estes and Neil Alan Weiner, and is actually the average age of entry into prostitution among minors who are in prostitution.

If you survey only minors, average age of anything would be pretty low. For example, the average age of death for those who died during childhood would be some shockingly low figure, but it does not tell us anything about the average life expectancy of the population at large.