JKay

Zone Alarm

13 posts in this topic

Always interested in different brands of Firewalls and Antivirus products, so today I thought I would give Zone alarm a bash also its free Antivirus, loaded up ok, Scan was reasonable fast, then it went down hill, webpages slowed down and pages would hang, sometimes Refresh would help but it was rubbish, I thought it was just when I was on PN but no it was every site I visited, so after only a few hours I dumped it and gone back to the default MS firewall and defender and everything is fast again, anyone had same problems?

Whats worth trying these days?

Always interested in different brands of Firewalls and Antivirus products, so today I thought I would give Zone alarm a bash also its free Antivirus, loaded up ok, Scan was reasonable fast, then it went down hill, webpages slowed down and pages would hang, sometimes Refresh would help but it was rubbish, I thought it was just when I was on PN but no it was every site I visited, so after only a few hours I dumped it and gone back to the default MS firewall and defender and everything is fast again, anyone had same problems?

Whats worth trying these days?

Never had a problem with ZoneAlarm in the past, that said it was a long time ago. Are you on windows 7? You could try comodo.

I use free AVG, together with NoScript, which, touch wood, fingers crossed and never walk under ladders, seem to work, and don't cost.

I use free AVG, together with NoScript, which, touch wood, fingers crossed and never walk under ladders, seem to work, and don't cost.

I like NoScript.

I use Panda Internet Security 2013 along with Window's Defender.

Nothing evil gets through...ever.

Panda does have a free trail period download offer.

I also use Panda Cloud Cleaner but the jury is still out on that.

Comodo Internet Security, get the free version but sometimes they have a silly offer to buy a year of support for about $5US

I've used it for years and wouldn't change.

DG

Comodo all so destroys and cleans up any malware virus with it's free online tool. I use Avast myself.

I currently use Avast (it uses the Kaspersky scan engine which is one of the better ones) and Spybot Search & Destroy and run Firefox with NoScript and Adblock Plus.  This cuts down almost every threat and I have not suffered any infections for many a year :)

Firewall wise, I don't run anything on my PC - I have a BSD-based system as my Firewall/router.  On my laptop, I only use the Windows firewall with appropriate exclusions.

Other things to try (for staying secure) are just usual security best practices:

• keep everything updated - not just windows updates/OS security updates but your browser, Java, Flash, PDF viewer, any other running software, etc.  Being up-to-date can mitigate a vast number of potential attack vectors.
  • Don't use an account with Administrator privileges for everything.  Most virus/malware infections only execute with the privileges of the logged on user, so being logged on as a "user" (vs. administrator) can prevent an infection.
  • Be aware of sites you are visiting - check the URL before clicking and before entering details/passwords and make sure any SSL certificates are valid.  N.B never enter bank/personal details on an unencrypted, non-SSL website.
  • Don't open attachments from unknown senders and don't install unknown software willy-nilly.
  • Don't use the same password everywhere and change them fairly frequently.  Make sure you use a strong password (think pass-phrase)

TBH, these can be more important than using AV - I used to run without AV and never had any problems, Avast was only installed to comply with a security policy...  Obviously I don't recommend using no AV on Windows.

My personal experience with Zone Alarm was a few years ago, but I found it a bit bloated and too much of a resource hog.  AVG used to be my preferred AV, until it left me cleaning up a nasty virus for days.

I find Norton to be the best ..... used it for a couple of years no problem whatsoever... There's always a offer of it somewhere  either online or in 1 of the big high street stores like argos or currys..... scans & weeds out the viruses .... much better than AVG  etc

I've used Avast! (free version) without trouble for the last couple of years. Malwarebytes Anti Malware as an occasional scan. And when really paranoid I run a scan with GMER Rootkit Detector and Remover

http://www.gmer.net/

If you use a decent quality router these all have hardware firewalls built in and you do not need seperate software firewall.