Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MDickens

Seeking Prostitutes/sex Workers To Complete A Dissertation Questionnaire

54 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I have found all of your stories/comments very interesting and would like to thank you for sharing your experiences.

My name is Melanie Dickens and I am an undergraduate in my final year at Nottingham Trent University. I am currently conducting research for my dissertation project into female prostitution/sex work and depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). It will be greatly appreciated if you complete this questionnaire in aid of my research. The questionnaire collects information on the demographics, opinions and history of those participating aswell as containing two standardised measures for depression and PTSD.

All British Psychological Society ethical guidelines have been followed in the designing of this research and the questionnaire has been approved by the ethics committee at NTU. You have the right to withdraw your information at any point in the study and all results collected will be treated anonymously and confidentially.

If you would like to complete the questionnaire please click on the link below:

http://obsurvey.com/S2.aspx?id=4DD734B0-FA59-4B82-8B24-7574A5D8A9EE

If you have any further questions please feel free to message me.

Thanks,

Melanie

While the OP may well be simply seeking to learn what makes the world keep spinning, would I be being very unfair if I suggested she was looking for "empirical data" to show that prostitutes suffer from depression and or PTSD. Do I, perhaps, sense Melissa Farley's methodology?

Will the BPS confirm this?

You've not given any positive choices. Humph.

Indeed. I've emailed the link to a member of the BPS.

Edited by zipless

Hmm.... am sure this was posted the other day by the same person ... seem to be a few of these popping up... my thought was, Do the universities have a list of all the punting forums for their students to go searching on?

Hmmm... gone through the questionaire.... one thing stood out to me or maybe i missed it... the bit about ever having mental health problems, i think there really should be a question asking whether if you have was it diagnosed before or after becoming a working girl..

Hmmm... gone through the questionaire.... one thing stood out to me or maybe i missed it... the bit about ever having mental health problems, i think there really should be a question asking whether if you have was it diagnosed before or after becoming a working girl..

Agreed. Nonetheless my contact in the BPS says

She sounds genuine – her research project is investigating something not assuming it

Even so, if you don't like what you see, don't fill it in.

Hmm.... am sure this was posted the other day by the same person ... seem to be a few of these popping up... my thought was, Do the universities have a list of all the punting forums for their students to go searching on?

It was, I think it may have been taken down as a some of us (ahem :o ) pointed out some issues which potentially devalued the study.  It is about the right time for Students to be starting questionnaires for their dissertations and Prostitution is one of the "hot topics" in the social sciences at the moment so I am not surprised to see more than one of these popping up.

MDickens, Well done - this does look a lot better and much more appropriate as a research questionnaire.  Hopefully you will get some better responses from this :)  Personally, I would be quite interested in the results so please do come back and let us know what you find out.

Okay...  I have read the questions and just wonder what the OP will gain from the answers and how will the survey help anyone other than the OP, given that these questions have been asked over and over by others.  

What exactly  is to be gained by this?  Where does the connection between prostitution and depression arise and who thought there was one?  Not wishing to be negative here, but finding it hard to see anything positive to be honest.  Dissertations on Prostitution..  why ? Is it  a social problem like or alcoholism or drug abuse........  some would like to think so. 

I remember Teela Sanders asking for help and a lot of punters did willingly participate.  One guy who was a regular and respected poster on here made the journey from London to Leeds and met her, and she twisted everything he said.  He was very upset over that.

It's all been done before, and if anything good ever came out of this sort of thing I would like to see it.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses.

Firstly, yes I did originally post a questionnaire for the same topic but due to the negative responses I chose to change the questionnaire itself, therefore I removed the post to prevent people from filling the wrong one in and wasting their time. I had a tutorial with my supervisor the day after and told her the issues that had arisen from the first questionnaire and I have made the necessary changes to allow participants to fully understand the purpose of the study. For those of you who are referring to a lack of positive responses it is important for you to understand that the two standardised questionnaires a well established measures for depression and PTSD, they are not in any way unethical or contain leading questions, otherwise they would not have been published. I think many of the people who were filling it out previously were interpreting these standardised measures as assumptions made around prostitution, they are not, these are used for the general population. Additionally, if I were to provide more questions to measure positive aspects it would count as another variable for me to measure, which at this level of study and with the amount of time I have to complete my dissertation would not be viable. It would also start to sway my research away from my proposed area of study.

I can also assure you that I have done a varied and extensive amount of reading on this topic for a number of months and my research is not based on the work of one individual. I do not 'expect' prostitutes to suffer from depression or PTSD I am merely interested in whether there is a correlation due to the reading I have done and my own personal interest in the topic of mental health, hence the reasoning behind researching the topic.

For those of you questioning what will come of the research, if there were to be a positive correlation between either depression or PTSD and prostitution I would propose an increase in the level of support for those suffering, it is apparent that there are safety and physical health programmes available to prostitutes but I have struggled to find any regarding the mental health of these individuals.

I am unsure as to whether the 'Do the universities have a list of all the punting forums for their students to go searching on?' question was rhetorical but I think it is important for you to know that all the research and work I have done for my dissertation has been independent and I have not been given information by anyone.

When asking the question of why I am doing my research into prostitution, all I can say is why not? This is my one chance during my university experience to study whatever I choose and I find these areas incredibly interesting, I have learnt a great deal myself from researching the area and I personally beleive that prostitution isn't a subject to shy away from and should not be treated on a social level as something that can't be talked about.

Thanks,

Melanie

Different student, different survey, different University and different project - this was posted before but MDickens appears to have updated the survey to take on board the comments that were made.

Okay...  I have read the questions and just wonder what the OP will gain from the answers and how will the survey help anyone other than the OP, given that these questions have been asked over and over by others.  

What exactly  is to be gained by this?  Where does the connection between prostitution and depression arise and who thought there was one?  Not wishing to be negative here, but finding it hard to see anything positive to be honest.  Dissertations on Prostitution..  why ? Is it  a social problem like or alcoholism or drug abuse........  some would like to think so. 

I remember Teela Sanders asking for help and a lot of punters did willingly participate.  One guy who was a regular and respected poster on here made the journey from London to Leeds and met her, and she twisted everything he said.  He was very upset over that.

It's all been done before, and if anything good ever came out of this sort of thing I would like to see it.

Sarah, final-year dissertations tend to be on a topic chosen by the student in collaboration with their supervisor - this is not the sort of full-blown study carried out on behalf of the Govt with results being published in journals, etc.  Most final-year projects do re-do old work, possibly with new methods, to give the student experience of conducting research.  So yes, overall it doesn't directly "help" anyone other than the OP but this is how the leading researchers start out - the dissertation tends to shape the path of any future research that the person will do if they go into a research career so there could be a wider impact.

Can you elaborate on this, anonymised of course, as it is news to me.

Teela Sanders, broadly speaking, has been an academic very much on 'our side' as it were, as indeed the vast bulk of the serious ones are.

It isn't the prostitutes or their circumstances that's being researched.

Its the people answering the questionnaires.

Wise up guys.

It isn't the prostitutes or their circumstances that's being researched.

Its the people answering the questionnaires.

Whilst that includes wg who wish to anwer, it might not be to the liking of the unwary punter, who do several of these questionnaires. From which an assessment could be made from anyone wishing to do so. It won't be discrete. Your ip address is recognised.

I really can't see why so many questionnaires are being put about the site. Prossying is an age old thing, what else is it expected to be?

Why woud anyone join a site, if in the normal course of life you wouldn't go there?

Edited by oddbloke

Can you elaborate on this, anonymised of course, as it is news to me.

Teela Sanders, broadly speaking, has been an academic very much on 'our side' as it were, as indeed the vast bulk of the serious ones are.

Yes I can - his name was Leo  De Grance and he posted regularly here when I first appeared.  She did exactly what for us pray?  I saw no changes and I saw the hoo ha on here.  One of my friends went as a repsresentative of the industry and  met with her and politicians and pplice if I remember rightly  and it amounted to zilch.  Hot air was exchanged of course............  Teela interviewed him and when he saw her findings he realised she had conned him.

mazzarati, on 01 Mar 2013 - 22:41, said:snapback.png

Hmm.... am sure this was posted the other day by the same person?

It was. I am relatively new here so sent a message to Galahad to try and find out why it disappeared - I also tried to contact one of the other moderators but they are not receiving personal messages. The topic is an interesting one and when it first appeared a few days ago there were lots of responses pointing out the leading nature of the questions and the fact that no positive experiences on prostitution were offered as an option. I know something of the university system in these areas and responded also. The next day the whole thing disappeared and now it is back up again recording as starting only yesterday -  all original responses are gone. I would appreciate it if a moderator could explain what happened. I am only new and have to have my posts approved by a moderator so will be happy to receive a PM on my question :)

It was. I am relatively new here so sent a message to Galahad to try and find out why it disappeared - I also tried to contact one of the other moderators but they are not receiving personal messages. The topic is an interesting one and when it first appeared a few days ago there were lots of responses pointing out the leading nature of the questions and the fact that no positive experiences on prostitution were offered as an option. I know something of the university system in these areas and responded also. The next day the whole thing disappeared and now it is back up again recording as starting only yesterday -  all original responses are gone. I would appreciate it if a moderator could explain what happened. I am only new and have to have my posts approved by a moderator so will be happy to receive a PM on my question :)

The post was removed as due to the requests of those posting on the original post I changed the questionnaire, I did not want people to click on the wrong link and waste their time filling out the wrong questionnaire.

That was exactly my reaction!!! I put them all in the comments box.

I addressed that one in the comments box too, as I did have back when I was 20 for about 2 years, but that was well over a decade before I started working and had nothing to do with it.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for your responses.

Firstly, yes I did originally post a questionnaire for the same topic but due to the negative responses I chose to change the questionnaire itself, therefore I removed the post to prevent people from filling the wrong one in and wasting their time. I had a tutorial with my supervisor the day after and told her the issues that had arisen from the first questionnaire and I have made the necessary changes to allow participants to fully understand the purpose of the study. For those of you who are referring to a lack of positive responses it is important for you to understand that the two standardised questionnaires a well established measures for depression and PTSD, they are not in any way unethical or contain leading questions, otherwise they would not have been published. I think many of the people who were filling it out previously were interpreting these standardised measures as assumptions made around prostitution, they are not, these are used for the general population. Additionally, if I were to provide more questions to measure positive aspects it would count as another variable for me to measure, which at this level of study and with the amount of time I have to complete my dissertation would not be viable. It would also start to sway my research away from my proposed area of study.

I can also assure you that I have done a varied and extensive amount of reading on this topic for a number of months and my research is not based on the work of one individual. I do not 'expect' prostitutes to suffer from depression or PTSD I am merely interested in whether there is a correlation due to the reading I have done and my own personal interest in the topic of mental health, hence the reasoning behind researching the topic.

For those of you questioning what will come of the research, if there were to be a positive correlation between either depression or PTSD and prostitution I would propose an increase in the level of support for those suffering, it is apparent that there are safety and physical health programmes available to prostitutes but I have struggled to find any regarding the mental health of these individuals.

I am unsure as to whether the 'Do the universities have a list of all the punting forums for their students to go searching on?' question was rhetorical but I think it is important for you to know that all the research and work I have done for my dissertation has been independent and I have not been given information by anyone.

When asking the question of why I am doing my research into prostitution, all I can say is why not? This is my one chance during my university experience to study whatever I choose and I find these areas incredibly interesting, I have learnt a great deal myself from researching the area and I personally beleive that prostitution isn't a subject to shy away from and should not be treated on a social level as something that can't be talked about.

Thanks,

Melanie

with all due respect, you don't have to extend the variables and ask more questions, but add a further answer that allows for a positive outcome.  The best answer I could put on any of the questions, was 'the same as before', where as in some of the cases there has been distinct improvement in my life, but you are not allowing me to reflect that in my answer.  Surely if you are to get a 'real' answer, you need to allow the person evaluating their life to put an honest answer and not just 'best fit'?  Especially when the best fit does not reflect the reality.

For instance.  I am now sleeping better than before, not the same as.  Due to less stress and worry and not having to work long hours.

You are getting incomplete data that appear to be bias towards the negative.

Edited by kissxkate