Dexi Delite

Interesting Topic On Prostitution In The Guardian

13 posts in this topic

Wow, I'm really disappointed in Julie Burchill :(

Guardian does at least give the pro lobby a hearing

Wow, I'm really disappointed in Julie Burchill :(

Really? :)

Anyway, leaving Burchill aside, this paragraph from the article should be read to every politician in Westminster as an example of the sheer unbalanced lunacy of the antis:

"Writer and former call girl Magnanti is forced to live in secrecy, her number taken to the top of any 999 summons list because of the innumerable threats she has received. One recent example proposed that she should be gang-raped and then executed. She has been accused of being responsible for rape, sexual slavery, and prostitution itself. Her family's privacy has been invaded to find the "causes" of her choice and her personal appearance derided, not least within what might otherwise be called the sisterhood."

What happened on Sunday then, anything, anywhere?

Just a talk in America?

Edited by oddbloke

Theres some great arguments going on in the comments.It switches from a debate about modern feminism to changes in the laws pertaining to prostitution.As you'll probably guess,the most vocally against prostitution are the religious and the women.

The usual 'make it legal' 'tax it' statements have been made.

Prostitution is already legal, and quite taxable.

So the deeply placed stigma and hate has condensed and seemingly taken root forever against the wg?

One recent example proposed that she should be gang-raped and then executed. She has been accused of being responsible for rape, sexual slavery, and prostitution itself. Her family's privacy has been invaded to find the "causes" of her choice and her personal appearance derided, not least within what might otherwise be called the sisterhood."

The article doesn't make it exactly clear but am I correct thinking the threats/accusations in the above quote were made by the "abolitionists" and not by clients?

The article doesn't make it exactly clear but am I correct thinking the threats/accusations in the above quote were made by the "abolitionists" and not by clients?

That is how I understood it.

"Writer and former call girl Magnanti is forced to live in secrecy, her number taken to the top of any 999 summons list because of the innumerable threats she has received. One recent example proposed that she should be gang-raped and then executed. She has been accused of being responsible for rape, sexual slavery, and prostitution itself. Her family's privacy has been invaded to find the "causes" of her choice and her personal appearance derided, not least within what might otherwise be called the sisterhood."

It amazes me that MSP Rhoda Grant considers violence against sex workers a price worth paying to secure her proposals to 'combat' the sex-trade. I still can't believe that in our so-called 'enlightened' society that this kind of attitude is prevalent and accepted. This horrendous woman clearly thinks that sex-workers are immoral, and that her comments are justified and moral. She is championing a belief that people who work in the sex industry can be subjected to violence and abuse without redress. Would it be inflammatory to suggest a similar attitude can be taken towards our 'elected' elite, and that they, too, can be abused and attacked without redress

Good article, and some excellent comments on it. Look out in particular for the contributions from funwithwhips.