skybar1

Comic Relief Misleading People On Prostitution

13 posts in this topic

I'd much prefer to donate to small charities, as I have a better idea that they will put the money to good use rather than on administration.

I'd much prefer to donate to small charities, as I have a better idea that they will put the money to good use rather than on administration.

Having been involved in a small charity in the past, I know that grant making bodies mainly will not fund administration. Everybody wants to fund the 'sexy'' bit so they can say they are making a difference. The fact is, unless core costs are funded, the actual use of the grants is less effective. All of the admin costs have to be funded somehow, from phone calls and photocopying through to insurance and accountancy, all have to be paid somehow.

Without core funding you end up with the Charity Commission, HMRC, other grant making bodies on your back as you don't have the facilities to provide the returns required, in some cases by law.

pity the comments on the guardian article degenerated into a slag off comic relief and not discuss the issues.

Comic Relief also claims this:

http://www.comicrelief.com/how-we-help/people-issues-we-support

Each year 1.5 million women experience domestic abuse at least once - 800,000 are sexually assaulted and 100,000 raped.

Sounds shocking, but are these figures accurate or also misleading? And would it hurt them to say how many men are victims of domestic violence as well?

The one charity I really support is Shelterbox and there are some very good reasons why, the box of kit arrives at the disaster scene fast and saves lives all the kit is purchased in the UK and the cash is not squandered by the government of the country involved  

Thanks for those links skybar and david7 - enlightening reading cheers

I sent Comic Relief an email last week and got this response today:

Thank you for your email regarding the statistic featured on our website.

We acknowledge that the statistic doesn’t represent the whole sector so have removed it from our website.

:)

Red tops and tabloids invent gossip

Broadsheets get reports from misinformed academics to invent gossip.

What's the difference? the size of paper they are printed on.

Edited by oddbloke

I sent Comic Relief an email last week and got this response today:

Thank you for your email regarding the statistic featured on our website.

We acknowledge that the statistic doesn’t represent the whole sector so have removed it from our website.

Respect. Top work for doing that.