one eyed panda

Contact From The Bbc, Apparently

31 posts in this topic

Found this in my inbox today.

Hi

BBC3 is making a television documentary on what men think about prostitution.

We are looking for men in their late teens or twenties who have first-hand experience of the sex-trade and would be happy to talk about it.

If you'd be willing to help, you can contact us on this email address, bbc.research@bbc.co.uk or on contact number 07742 817020.

All calls will be treated in strictest confidence.

Many thanks

----------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk
This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.
If you have received it in error, please delete it from your system.
Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.
Please note that the BBC monitors e-mails sent or received.
Further communication will signify your consent to this.

---------------------

Do you reckon watchdog might have filmed you undercover and their stooge gave the BBC your details? :D:P:D

DG

Hi

We are looking for men in their late teens or twenties who have first-hand experience of the sex-trade and would be happy to talk about it.

If you'd be willing to help, you can contact us on this email address, bbc.research@bbc.co.uk or on contact number 07742 817020.

Many thanks

This e-mail (and any attachments) is confidential and may contain personal views which are not the views of the BBC unless specifically stated.

Do not use, copy or disclose the information in any way nor act in reliance on it and notify the sender immediately.

---------------------

Seems a bit rum that the BBC use a mobile number and not a landline + extension.

Call the BBC switchboard and ask if it's genuine.

Well the BBC programme is genuine enough, as I've been in touch with the programme makers too. I don't have the mobile number but then I prefer not to do dealings by phone, plus I daresay they knew finding punters prepared to speak to them would be more difficult. It's not that unusual for people producing these things to send their mobile numbers out in my experience - they often don't sit at desks all day.

Either way now that it's been posted on a message board they ought to get something from it at least, although not necessarily what they wanted.

I would not trust them with my details. I'll keep my punting a secret thanks.

They could get the opinions by reading this board I reckon.

Next contact will ask you for £500 to cover their film crew's expenses. Just send cash to a Nigerian address.

If genuine I would have thought that the 30 - 50 age group would have been a better target. I would think the late teen male is well catered for.

Edited by Lestrade

How about the OAPs they like getting their end away?

Late teens/twenties? Sounds more as though they are looking for male WGs than for punters!

If they DO want to find out "what MEN think about prostitution", why are they asking BOYS??

Edited by toxical

I agree up to a point, but since it's for BBC3 I would assume the aim is to make a programme with contributors that it's likely audience can relate to and identify with. Plus, there are plenty of younger punters - they come in all shapes, sizes and ages, just as we WGs do :).

Hi

Many thanks

---------------------

Why did they contact you? And how did they get your details? Do they already know you punt?

Why did they contact you? And how did they get your details? Do they already know you punt?

That is what would worry me most but you would never be able to find out for certain why you were one of those to receive the e-mail. Even if you phoned them from an untraceable number and refused to give your name you would doubtless be given a non-commital response. I assume you will be ignoring it completely.

My first thought was that they joined this forum to get your details then sent a PM but i notice you give your age, same as mine, which sadly is not '20s any more. That does not mean they did not use this route though sadly. I am not sure about the email address too, it would be normally first name.surname@bbc.co.uk but theremay be special rules for sensitive areas of research. I am sure you or someone would have googled the number in case it is published anywhere on the internet.

If you are still inquisitive enough to seek the source, get a cheap pay as you go simcard and call the number to have an off the record chat! BBC research is not the secret service so will be unable to trace you via your phone call.

^ This.  You must have previously submitted your views on this subject for them to have your details.  If not I'd be worried, especially if I had a partner.  

The mobile contact number will be directly to the BBC reporter/researcher so as to preserve a one-to-one relationship for trust and anonymity.  It's part of an ethical regulation.  You don't want to go through a switchboard and end up explaining this to someone in accounts.

Lastly, I agree with the comments about their sample selection.  Young men don't always have the kind of disposable income associated with this hobby, teenagers especially.  This age range is not an accurate reflection of the marketplace, and without seeing the research protocol I can't understand their rationale.  

Edited by WhilstNeroplays

Perhaps they want to find out what young men think of prostitution as opposed to the age range most likely to be dabbling in it.

and from that point of view, you will be next invited onto a reality programne, and then appear with Phil and Holly on this morning.

Nah,  just delete the post you got,

I agree up to a point, but since it's for BBC3 I would assume the aim is to make a programme with contributors that it's likely audience can relate to and identify with. Plus, there are plenty of younger punters - they come in all shapes, sizes and ages, just as we WGs do :).

Yes, they really don't want older punters as everyone on screen on BBC3 has to be youthful and (important for this show and many others they make) unconcerned as to the consequences of their actions in deciding to appear on screen. I am sure they will find enough muppets to take part, but I wouldn't believe a word anyone who chooses to take part says about their punting quite frankly as they are just trying to get on TV.

My email address is on my profile on here, so all they have to do is join up then trawl through the profiles, probably looking to see who posts field reports etc. Of course they failed to check the age range thing. I will not be contacting them as i don't meet the criteria, but even if I did, I still would not respond.

I don't think it's particularly unusual for a minority television channel to have a fairly narrow and specific audience demographic, is it? Or is it just, as I suspect, the BBC3 audience is one of the easier ones to sneer at? I doubt very much that we'd be getting similar comments if it were BBC4, despite a good deal of equally mediocre output in with the good (and the unmitigated shite).

Anyway, I doubt I'll be appearing on screen given that I am not young either but just in case, do we get to decide which muppet we are going to be? Because if so, I'd like to be Dr Teeth, please (and I'll be sure to ask Cari Mitchell of the ECP too. I'm sure she'll be thrilled) :).

Edited by AdorableAmy

I don't think it's particularly unusual for a minority television channel to have a fairly narrow and specific audience demographic, is it? Or is it just, as I suspect, the BBC3 audience is one of the easier ones to sneer at?

Who's sneering? I agree BBC3 is just as "valid" as BBC4 and the audience are entitled to watch it and I do myself occasionally. But as for anyone offering to appear in "I'm a teenage punter" or "GUM Clinics I Have Visited" without masking their identity - you'd have to have a pretty low opinion of your future employment or romantic prospects to be willing to do that... I reckon it's idiotic to take part and I don't call that sneering - I call it good advice!

Lastly, I agree with the comments about their sample selection.  Young men don't always have the kind of disposable income associated with this hobby, teenagers especially.  This age range is not an accurate reflection of the marketplace, and without seeing the research protocol I can't understand their rationale.  

You'd be supprised.Look at the companies aiming themselves at exactly this demagraphic,from various tech "gadget" firms even down to the licensed trade.Don't mistake income for disposable income.The older guy may be earning more but may be married,kids,mortgage etc.The early twenties fella may be earning less on a whole but as is frequently the case nowdays,living at home with no overheads,what he earns is his disposable income.

I would be very surprised and, as I said earlier, without seeing the protocol it's simply conjecture.  Just because they're the demographic for the latest smartphone doesn't mean that most kids can afford to punt regularly, certainly not with the same vigour and frequency as us.  

Bit worrying IMHO, although I didn't get it myself.

Glad I don't have personal details in the public eye for this reason.

I and my organisation have had dealings with TV companies before and, without exception, have found them to be thoroughly dishonest. They tend to send out a low-level researcher with a brief to offer whatever it takes to get you to co-operate, by way of content assurances, but with no real intention of delivering on those assurances.

Anyone like that approaching me now triggers a 15 minute rant, at the end of which they are left under no misapprehension whatsoever that it ain't gonna happen.

I might make a personal punter exception, anonymised of course, if the programme was by some genuine academic researcher with a good track record of balance.

I would be very surprised and, as I said earlier, without seeing the protocol it's simply conjecture.  Just because they're the demographic for the latest smartphone doesn't mean that most kids can afford to punt regularly, certainly not with the same vigour and frequency as us.  

Oddly enough,it's that same,high disposable income within that bracket that many studies are quoting as the reason for the increase in drug and alcohol related related violence within that group as well.Don't forget that the latest gadgets are generally more than an overnighter or quite a few punts.

Lets say a 20 odd year old with a £250 a week take home.Living at home with parents.So thats no rent,no bills etc.That makes a disposable income of £13,000 a year.At todays prices thats quite a few punts and nights out