Semara

Best Internet Browser?

Best Internet Browser?  

1. 1. Best Internet Browser?

• Internet Explorer
    • Firefox
    • Chrome
    • Other

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

33 posts in this topic

Just purchased a new laptop and was wondering which Internet Browser was the best one to use. Anyone have a favourite, and why?

Semara

I would avoid using IE as mostq viruses are designed to attack it

I like firefox

Google chrome is good too

i would second that- i now use firefox as it seems much more stable and reliable than IE and seems less prone to gliches and viruses

I've been using Firefox for about a year now without any problems. It is more stable than IE.

As an aside to this thread can anybody reccomend an internet provider,Im getting really pissed off with aol.In the last week Ive become a real expert at removing and reloading it.Thanks.

As an aside to this thread can anybody reccomend an internet provider,Im getting really pissed off with aol.In the last week Ive become a real expert at removing and reloading it.Thanks.

Believe it or not - and they might not be the cheapest - but BT ISP is actually very good IME; only once (for a few hrs) have I had to suffer any kind of outage within nearly 3 yrs. TalkTalk is cheap(er) I suspect, but I used to suffer from an outage quite often (every other couple of days for an hour or two).

I suspect opinions vary on this matter; they always do with chosen IS Providers, LOL>.

Just purchased a new laptop and was wondering which Internet Browser was the best one to use. Anyone have a favourite, and why?

Semara

I have a mac and usually use Safari. Sometimes I use firefox on the mac. It seems to have issues when I open my yahoo mail. I sometimes can't see my emails when I use firefox.

Very much depends on your operating system, and, also, I venture to suggest, your politics!

Those of us who don't like large monopolies will try to avoid M$'s offerings.

For me, running Win xp (both 32 & 64 bit versions) it has to be Firefox, which seems to do all that I ask of it, and is the product of the open source movement.

For Mac users, I have nothing to suggest. The Linux fraternity will know a great deal more about it that I do, so I wouldn't have the cheek to comment!

Next step is to consider your e-mail client, and your Office Suite - have a look at Open Office.Org which is available in most languages for most platforms, does everything that M$ Office does, and costs you nothing (except your download time)!

Windows 7 is my operating system (home premium), and use MS Office 97 for documents, etc.

Always used Internet Explorer in the past (IE8 now) and have had no great problems, but was wondering whether Chrome or Firefox were a better product? - Difficult to define."better" I know, but felt it was worth asking anyway......

Thanks

Safari client on the Mac because it's fast. Firefox sometimes as mozilla is more compliant particularly for online banking. If ever I have to use a PC it's always Firefox, or I just won't play. Then there's my Ubunt client... but I'll shut up now, I'm boring y'all.

Firefox (on Ubuntu - runs twice as fast as Windows on my old laptop).

I worry about how much information Google collect so would not use Chrome.

Very much depends on your operating system, and, also, I venture to suggest, your politics!

Those of us who don't like large monopolies will try to avoid M$'s offerings.

For me, running Win xp (both 32 & 64 bit versions) it has to be Firefox, which seems to do all that I ask of it, and is the product of the open source movement.

For Mac users, I have nothing to suggest. The Linux fraternity will know a great deal more about it that I do, so I wouldn't have the cheek to comment!

Next step is to consider your e-mail client, and your Office Suite - have a look at Open Office.Org which is available in most languages for most platforms, does everything that M$ Office does, and costs you nothing (except your download time)!

Sorry, I am a bit out of touch with computer terminology. Wanted to ask about mac viruses. Who are Linux fraternity?

Firefox (on Ubuntu - runs twice as fast as Windows on my old laptop).

I worry about how much information Google collect so would not use Chrome.

^^Me also; I don't use GMail either:cool:

firefox fast and has the great private browsing feature

ive gone for FF but.. it does seem slower than previous versions ( i am on 3.5.5) i normally have about 9 tabs open but it does seem to be slower to open every time it upgrades. no idea about ie8 since i only use it about 5% of the time ans still does really offer the easy user experience of FF.

opera i just didnt like, safari iihave never tried. chrome didnt seem any different from FF experience wise so didnt keep it

but, like everything else, if someone comes along and gives a great, safe, fast, surfing experience i will swap.

Sorry, I am a bit out of touch with computer terminology. Wanted to ask about mac viruses. Who are Linux fraternity?

What Mac viruses? I am part of both the Linux and Mac fraternities. What flavour of OSX are you using?

Im getting really pissed off with aol.

I think it's written into the fundamental precepts of the internet: "AOL is shite." It's one of the immutable laws. :D

Firefox is very customisable, much better than IE.

Who are Linux fraternity?

This sort of question is not dissimilar to asking a lay-person "What is a Mason?"

Those who use the Linux OS generally know what is going on under the bonnet, while windoze people neither know nor care, and Mac people (have to be careful here, lest my views are coloured by my sister-in-law) don't worry too much, provided that there is lots of colour, together with "look and feel" (which has a whole new meaning here!).

Linux people talk to each other, and (usually) understand what the others are talking about, even if they'd do it a different way. They are a sort of brotherhood, without oaths, aprons and with actively no secrecy atall. I gather that most of them will compile kernels for each other, and that is saying something (or other).

Have I made myself clear?

Edited by Irgendeiner
one missing bracket!

You've put it very well, Irg. Ever considered the diplomatic corps?

Firefox. Because:

• Historically Micorsoft's coding decisions have made Internet Explorer far more vulnerable to viruses and other malware (though IE has progressively closed the gap with versions 7 & 8).

• Firefox has a huge range of useful addons.

• Firefox is better than IE - though not perfect - at displaying websites as they should be seen (speaking as a web designer IE is a f**king pain)

If I ever have to re-install windows, my first download is inevitably Firefox.