Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dollymopp

Ch4 Programme - 40Yr Old Virgins

12 posts in this topic

I thought it was interesting to see the crippling damage religion caused that guy.  It is entirely to blame for his emotional retardation.

The two subjects who took part must have had exhibitionist streaks in their character in order to take part in a programme of this ilk on prime time television. However, for the Irish lass, it was evident from early on that this sort of therapy was never going to work given that she wasn't particularly enamoured of the male aroma and, sending her to the sex shop was a joke. She needs to find someone that is both physically and emotionally attractive which a sex therapist was not going to provide.

I was jealous of the guy, I would have enjoyed being with his therapist.

The two subjects who took part must have had exhibitionist streaks in their character.

Well, the guy is an accomplished keyboardist and has a decent singing voice yet he was probably so hung up on one particular event (like I have been), he didn't realise he has a natural skill he can use to to his advantage.

The girl (I love an Irish accent) felt confident enough for the therapy to finish without worrying. She has more confidence than she thinks (probably like I do) but doesn't realise it.

Interesting programme.

As a former 29 year old virgin, I am mightily relieved that I never reached a point where I needed 'therapy' from glorified prostitutes.

A common theme that ran through it all was 'excuses.'  They both had their hang-ups but had both reached a stage in their lives where fear was the overriding factor.  They were using any excuse not to face that fear.

I am especially surprised that the guy, having confided in at least one friend, found himself in that predicament.  Shame on his friends.  Was not especially surprised though that he was still single after popping his cherry with the American grandma.  That is nowhere near enough to give a guy confidence to go out in the world and try his luck with non-grandma people.  Saying that, I wouldn't be surprised if he had fallen in love with his therapist.

http://www.punternet.com/forum/index.php/topic/28680-help-for-disabled-special-needs-radio-2-vine/?p=502557

I'm afraid to say it lived up to my poor expectations for it. From the somewhat comedy type background music to the general lack of any real information on the therapies used.

It did fall between two stools in how to present itself as either finger pointing entertainment or a documentary, down to the editing I guess.

The therapies seemed too goal orientated and not holistic, and I found some of the comments from Cheryl very strange and overstepping boundaries if you expected a therapeutic course to be empathic but professionally detached.

Involuntary celibacy needs a good documentary to be made about this increasingly common condition. This unfortunately, wasn't it. 

Edited by davidseven

Afer all that it turns out to be bogus.Fellas been revealed to be 45 not 40.An actor with bit parts in quite a few shows as well as voice parts,and most importantly,NOT a virgin

Afer all that it turns out to be bogus.Fellas been revealed to be 45 not 40.An actor with bit parts in quite a few shows as well as voice parts,and most importantly,NOT a virgin

source?

It is possible to be an actor and a virgin, so I'm led to believe. ;)   I very much doubt he appeared in this, or the therapists took part with knowledge, knowing it was just acting, You only have to read the vox pop comments about the programme, to know that the next headline would likely be, 'Actor Kills Agent for Disastrous Channel 4 Booking'.

I think a lot of it was daft but despite it being fake I could relate to some of the things he said.

A man who appeared on the Channel 4 show '40-Year-Old Virgins' is a professional actor and not a virgin, it's being claimed. And he's 45.

Clive Dancey, who was described as an IT engineer, appeared on the documentary show saying that he feared intimacy with the opposite sex, and was flown to the US for treatment, where he was shown losing his virginity to 68-year-old sex surrogate Cheryl Cohen-Green.

Viewers were also told that Dancey was brought up a Christian and taught that sex before marriage was wrong.

But it has emerged that he's reportedly appeared in shows including 'Midsomer Murders' and adverts for Stella Artois.

A source told The Sun that 'Clive has had sexual relations in the past and is not the hand-wringing virgin depicted in the show. He’s a good actor and used his skills to full effect'.

“It seems Channel 4 has not been fully transparent about this,” the source added.

Dancey has a profile on the CastingCallPro website, where he also lists jobs including voice overs for the animated series of 'Doctor Who' and various Shakespeare plays.

Speaking to the newspaper about the claims, he said: “Um, yeah, I need to speak to somebody because I’ve been advised not to say anything about that.”

Channel 4 has refuted claims that the show was faked, however.

“Clive considered himself a virgin at the time of filming. While he has had a small number of relationships in the past, with some limited physical contact, none was fully consummated,” said a spokesperson.

“Programme-makers were also aware Clive acted in pantomimes in his spare time. But we strongly refute any allegation the programme is in any way faked.” [The Sun]

Edited by down