Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
roger29b

Scottish Daily Record Article - Police Entrapment And More ...

26 posts in this topic

True story follows.

Many years ago  I was in London, driving my car to an interview. Being a country yokel I was driving timidly and also trying to find the street I was supposed to find the office on. There  I was peering out of the window and an almighty thump smashed down on the roof. A woman was screaming at me through the window. I thought I had run her over! I got out of the car and she bellowed for me to get back in the car (inset the missing swear words). It turned out she was part of a reclaim the street squad taking positive action against street crawlers!

Did she believe my story? Did she hell. Did she believe it when  I showed her the interview letter and asked her where the street was? Nope. I learned a few more swear words.

So, sometimes, once in a blue moon, the guy is really not there to pick up whores.

"We don’t wait for the woman to say she wants out. We go to them.”

Jesus wept. 

Oh, dear! I thought that GCSS had decided to go straight, after the Glasgow "aleos" were caught with their snouts in the trough.

How wrong I was.

There has been a number of Daily Record articles on prostitution over the past few months and they all focus entirely on street walking.

There has been a number of Daily Record articles on prostitution over the past few months and they all focus entirely on street walking.

Many "decent" people think that's all there is. When they find out that there are WGs who don't stand around on street corners, they say "oh well of course that's not what we're against". To be fair it must be a pain in the arse for a woman to be kerb-crawled in her own street. What I find slightly strange is that there are still punters trying this frankly rather hit-and-miss approach to finding a punt. If only there were web sites where you could check out SPs in the comfort of your own home before driving confidently and at a normal speed to the road round the corner from your chosen girl's digs. Someone should definitely start something like that.

Many "decent" people think that's all there is. 

And the sex trade haters who are pushing for legislation want the public to keep thinking just that.

Dishonest gutter press articles like this one suit them beautifully.

http://www.thejournal.ie/campaign-against-sex-trafficking-targets-potential-punters-860225-Apr2013/

Here's a article from an Irish tabloid yesterday.

Currently, one in four people sex-trafficked in Ireland is a child.

I'm not sure where that statistic came from the article didn't say, but I'm guessing it's either made up outright or it's been twisted with part of the details left out. Kindof like that "75% of prostitutes started as a child" one

who says we don't live in a police state?

'We had spotted him parked up near one of the women and there was lingering eye contact and she may have been about to approach his car. It was enough to warrant questioning.'

http://www.thejournal.ie/campaign-against-sex-trafficking-targets-potential-punters-860225-Apr2013/

Here's a article from an Irish tabloid yesterday.

I'm not sure where that statistic came from the article didn't say, but I'm guessing it's either made up outright or it's been twisted with part of the details left out. Kindof like that "75% of prostitutes started as a child" one

That little beauty is no doubt from the Immigration Council of Ireland and their recent 'research', I'm waiting on the 

results of a FOI request. 

who says we don't live in a police state?

'We had spotted him parked up near one of the women and there was lingering eye contact and she may have been about to approach his car. It was enough to warrant questioning.'

That's exactly the kind of comment I'd expect from one of Strathclyde's finest! They are self-righteous beyond belief.

Just had a rather unpleasant thought.

Here's a prediction. The police, council etc will bring in a system where when these guys are questioned they have to be able to give good reason for being in the area. They will have to persuade the officer they were not looking for sex. If they can't do this the officer will issue them a ticket (much like the ones for other anti-social activities) and give them a choice of paying a fine or ending up in court. I don't want to sound cynical but it sounds like a great opportunity for the police to milk this for all it's worth, particularly in situations where there is little change of a conviction for kerb crawling or trying to procure sex.

No guy wants to end up in court on this kind of charge, so most would pay it without question,

As i say, just an unpleasant thought about the next logical step for the council and the police.

>>Currently, one in four people sex-trafficked in Ireland is a child.

Of course, this could be true, but it doesn't tell you anything about the trafficking problem.  If there are only 4 trafficked women in Ireland out of 1,000 WGs (all numbers are total guessed BTW) and one of them is 17, that makes it true, but hardly a massive problem.  Papers are full of numbers that appear to say something but actually don't.  I particularly like when they say that "X is the fastest growing disease" or "Y is the company experiencing the fastest expansion of its growth" - you can turn any small issue into a huge one by taking the first or second differential.

>>Currently, one in four people sex-trafficked in Ireland is a child.

Of course, this could be true, but it doesn't tell you anything about the trafficking problem.  If there are only 4 trafficked women in Ireland out of 1,000 WGs (all numbers are total guessed BTW) and one of them is 17, that makes it true, but hardly a massive problem.  Papers are full of numbers that appear to say something but actually don't.  I particularly like when they say that "X is the fastest growing disease" or "Y is the company experiencing the fastest expansion of its growth" - you can turn any small issue into a huge one by taking the first or second differential.

Even if it is not true and there is only one women in the whole of Ireland who is trafficked then it is one too many.

I applaud the police for their heavy handed attitude regarding kerb crawlers.  I would like to see street prostitution wiped out forever, and the help given to these girts to get off the drugs.  I know of one guy who targeted street girls and paid them with heroin so he could get access to their children.  You really have no idea.  You have to be in the middle of the shit to know what it smells like.

I just wish the police were equally as helpful in other ways - supporting brothels, but of course they aren't.  There is no happy medium.  No-one is prepared to understand the wants and the needs of the other person and that comes from  both sides of the argument.  I get sick of reading on here that the problems are not as bad as the police/government say they are.  If there is only one problem it is one too many.

Even if it is not true and there is only one women in the whole of Ireland who is trafficked then it is one too many.

That's true, and I wasn't trying to make light of the fact that it's evil.  Sorry if it came across that way.

However, there are a lot of other social problems where the press like to exaggerate the scale to push their "moral agenda".  They are clever at switching between individual cases and large-number statistics to make the reader think that a specific small number of people are representative of society, and so "something must be done".  Of course, journalists go punting just as much as everyone else, just like doctors smoke and MPs get into fights.

Of course, another error of their logic in their approach is that making punting illegal would somehow prevent trafficking (which is already illegal anyway).

Of course, another error of their logic in their approach is that making punting illegal would somehow prevent trafficking (which is already illegal anyway).

Agree. Traffickers are already breaking the law at the moment and they know it.

The same applies for assault, rape and murder. Those are already crimes. If a guy has the potential to commit murder and doesn't care about the consequences of being charged with murder do you think he will really care about the consequences of being charged with paying for sex?

My point being Rhoda Grant's proposal will not be a deterrent to traffickers or dangerous clients.

They will have to persuade the officer they were not looking for sex.

Sounds like a great money making scheme for the police. Make men guilty until proven innocent. Then threaten to expose them by taking them to court unless they pay a fine.

Agree. Traffickers are already breaking the law at the moment and they know it.

The same applies for assault, rape and murder. Those are already crimes. If a guy has the potential to commit murder and doesn't care about the consequences of being charged with murder do you think he will really care about the consequences of being charged with paying for sex?

My point being Rhoda Grant's proposal will not be a deterrent to traffickers or dangerous clients.

Sounds like a great money making scheme for the police. Make men guilty until proven innocent. Then threaten to expose them by taking them to court unless they pay a fine.

Only a fine?  I would chop off their balls

That's true, and I wasn't trying to make light of the fact that it's evil.  Sorry if it came across that way.

However, there are a lot of other social problems where the press like to exaggerate the scale to push their "moral agenda".  They are clever at switching between individual cases and large-number statistics to make the reader think that a specific small number of people are representative of society, and so "something must be done".  Of course, journalists go punting just as much as everyone else, just like doctors smoke and MPs get into fights.

Only one  mode of punting should be illegal and that is STREET.  If the guys didn't go looking the girls would not be out there.  They would find another way of making drug money.  It's not a chicken and egg situation because the girls are not sex workers - they are drug addicts.

I used to find girls on the street then started to use parlours or agencies. Now I go to parties I no longer would even think about street girls. To the extent that I wouldn't object to street prostitution being made ilegal.

Only a fine?  I would chop off their balls

I'm not talking about actual kerb-crawlers, I'm talking about innocent drivers who might be wrongly accused of being a kerb-crawler.

For the record I do think streetwalking is less safe than indoors and shouldn't be encouraged.

I'm not talking about actual kerb-crawlers, I'm talking about innocent drivers who might be wrongly accused of being a kerb-crawler.

For the record I do think streetwalking is less safe than indoors and shouldn't be encouraged.

Yes, that's fair enough x

That's my point too. The way the police are going about this just looks like a fishing expedition and opens up a way to make money from the fear of innocent men

Only one  mode of punting should be illegal and that is STREET.  If the guys didn't go looking the girls would not be out there.  They would find another way of making drug money.  It's not a chicken and egg situation because the girls are not sex workers - they are drug addicts.

Isn't this the argument for criminalising the punter in order to try stamp out the sex business as a whole?

You are correct they'd find another way, probably involving theft.

I think they should be offered more support, carry on prosecuting for what is a criminal offence but without dragging innocent passerby in.

Isn't this the argument for criminalising the punter in order to try stamp out the sex business as a whole?

You are correct they'd find another way, probably involving theft.

I think they should be offered more support, carry on prosecuting for what is a criminal offence but without dragging innocent passerby in.

No.  I said Street.  When you have seen and witnessed some of the horrors that are attached to street prostitution you would understand why I am so vociferous.  The theft comes from both sides in street.  Those girls would steal your soul and sell it if they could.  Let's face it they already sold their own.   You have basically said what I said in your last sentence anyway

I have worked with, and tried to help through an agency, some of the street workers, they are some of the most disadvantaged people in our society, and feel that they are not accepted into society so why live by society rules.

Its only when some of them go so low that they are taken to hospital, or institutionialised, that you can begin to do some thing with some of them, sadly so many of them just dissapear and you fear the worst,

They are not society drop outs, that are pushed out of society, and not untill someone has the laws changed about the Red light districts, and make it safer and leagl, will we be able to try to help.