jerboa

Packard Bell Ixtreme M5800 Ram Upgrade

6 posts in this topic

I know little about upgrading, but I have a PB ixtreme M5800 Desktop running Win7 64bit,

It has the original 3GB RAM, 2GBx1 1GBx1 with two more slots available, I saw on another site that the maxinum memory Is 8GB, 4 slots 2 banks of 2 so that's 2GBx4, could I not double that by Installing 4GB modules, or would that not work?

...***awaiting garifto's comments re the "ram" upgrades***   ;)

Edited by Chloe Kisses

not necessarily, 8Gb may be the theoretical maximum of the motherboard.  The chips that access the RAM might only be able to address the first 4Gb.

a good place to try is the crucial.co.uk website, they have a tool that identifies your motherboard, how many slots are free, and offers the best upgrade option.

earlier versions of windows could only address the first 3Gb of installed memory hence the unusual size lots of PC's came with.

alternatively just buy it and try... someone has to, my mac is sold as having a max 8gb memory ize, however a 2 second google gives results of people running 16gb without problem.  the only way that was discovered was by someone trying it

PS, Chloe, I'd perform a RAM installation for you anytime ;)  ..... getting my coat!

Edited by mrsmith767

...***awaiting garifto's comments re the "ram" upgrades***   ;)

Are you being filthy Madam?  :P

not necessarily, 8Gb may be the theoretical maximum of the motherboard.  The chips that access the RAM might only be able to address the first 4Gb.

a good place to try is the crucial.co.uk website, they have a tool that identifies your motherboard, how many slots are free, and offers the best upgrade option.

earlier versions of windows could only address the first 3Gb of installed memory hence the unusual size lots of PC's came with.

alternatively just buy it and try... someone has to, my mac is sold as having a max 8gb memory ize, however a 2 second google gives results of people running 16gb without problem.  the only way that was discovered was by someone trying it

PS, Chloe, I'd perform a RAM installation for you anytime ;)  ..... getting my coat!

Thanks MrSmith, I did take a look at the Crucial site, did the scan, where It said 8GB max, double checked on their forum, and that's correct, my mother board wont take more than 8GB, which will be adequate.

Are you being filthy Madam?  :P

I am, sorry   ;)

Talking of RAM, I ordered some for my Netbook, just swapped the 1GB that came with the machine for a 2GB chip, easy to install, and the thing is a lot faster now, £24 well spent.