Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gog

Number Of Punters

14 posts in this topic

Some time ago I read that Julie Bindel who is often mentioned on punternet argued that only a small minority of men pay for sex.  The message behind this was to say that as only a small minority of men pay for sex, men who pay for sex must be abnormal and paying for sex must be evil because only a small number of men see it as acceptable.  I wondered what Bindle was basing this idea on.  Have there been any attempts to establish what proportion of the male population use WGs?       

TBH I don't think its more than 10 pct

Yes but you have the problem that most men who do pay for sex do not/cannot have it known that they do so. Result is they are rarely going to be able to tell the truth on any survey.

It's a lot more normal than the media make out and there isn't a type, from my experiences it can be any bloke you know.

I think the number of men who pay for sex is massive, the percentage very high, if you take the occasional or birthday or once in a lifetime punters into the equation. Add up the parlours in each town, then the agencys in each town, then the indies in each town, then add all of those in the villages and add up how many punters they all see on a daily and nightly basis, I think the majority of guys punt, even if its only occasionally, hardcore regular punters would be a far lesser figure I guess x

...and then throw in all the british sex tourists who are shagging their way happily around the world, they may never punt in the uk but they are uk residents so would qualify into the figures. There are also all the guys who visit the secret little brothels and girls who entertain their own nationality, then there are the lifestyle hookers and their clients...buggeration everyone is at it lol 

6.8% of British men pay for sex.

And 75% of quoted statistics are made up on the spot!

CG

I guess it depends on whether you are including the regular guys like us, or the "pissed after a leaving do" types on a Friday night, or the ones losing their virginity, or those in the throes of marriage breakdown,or  those whose wives want them to experiment or just the guys who love to "play away".

I think there is a PhD thesis trying to get written somewhere!

I don't know the figure but it must high considering the queues at Walk-ups in Soho. Also what about happy endings? If you add them into the equation might be 80000%.(Sorry thats the number of sex trafficked women in the UK according to JB) Men usually boast they have women falling at their feet. Yet as we all know from this board the majority of punters are married and are they going to say yes? I thought not.

and how many WG's are there?  what proportion of women have tried it.  I bet there are some who did one and went ugh, and a few more who tried it, didnt market themselves very well, didnt make enough money and packed in.

But we will never know cos people will never tell the truth

But i reckon its massive.

even more if you bring in pap dancing and stuff like that. and web camming etc.  not true hookering but damn close.

Yes but you have the problem that most men who do pay for sex do not/cannot have it known that they do so.

This. People lie on surveys, especially where there is a degree of stigma or trouble attached with certain responses.

That, and some surveys have fake results, or are not conducted in a manner that authoritatively represents the population it's intending to represent.

This. People lie on surveys, especially where there is a degree of stigma or trouble attached with certain responses.

That, and some surveys have fake results, or are not conducted in a manner that authoritatively represents the population it's intending to represent.

Surveys are usually carried out on the street, or sent to people at home. Can you honestly see Mr Average punter with partner, children tagging along, or living with parents or sharing with friends filling in the "Yes" answer to "Have you ever paid for sex?", or the risk of someone over seeing their answer or recognising them in the street. They are going to answer "No". Some single types might answer honestly and so the results get skewed towards them.

Yes but you have the problem that most men who do pay for sex do not/cannot have it known that they do so. Result is they are rarely going to be able to tell the truth on any survey.

It's a lot more normal than the media make out and there isn't a type, from my experiences it can be any bloke you know.

Theres this.I can't see many people at all actually answerung this question honestly.I did see a survey a while back purportedly filled in by "real" punters.They had put out an add asking anyone who had paid for sex to come,fill it out and in return they be paid £20.Strangely enough,their results showed that most punters were quite young and unemployed.

I think the number of men who pay for sex is massive, the percentage very high, if you take the occasional or birthday or once in a lifetime punters into the equation. Add up the parlours in each town, then the agencys in each town, then the indies in each town, then add all of those in the villages and add up how many punters they all see on a daily and nightly basis, I think the majority of guys punt, even if its only occasionally, hardcore regular punters would be a far lesser figure I guess x

Exactly this.I would think they've probably excluded the one offs and the very occassionals.Add to that,it would also depend on wether they included all sexual services in that,full intercourse or not.That may sound odd,but you do get some who really don't see a rub and tug as a sexual service.That said,i wouldnt say the majority,but my little target group alone puts it a good chunk higher than the 10% stated earlier

Lets make a guessmate that the anti-brigade normally do. They claim 80000 sex trafficked women. Lets take that figure and lets say they see only 100 unique clients in a year. That's two new clients a week so I'm being conservative. The figure you end with is 8M men! Now lets suppose there is an equal number who are doing of their free will that gives you 160000 sex workers * 100 unique clients a year. That gives the astonishing figure of 16M men in a year! To quote Disraeli "Lies, damned lies, and statistics".

we are asking 2 different questions here

1. how many men or women have taken part in paid for sex ever in their lives. 

2. how many men or women have in the last 6 months - i.e active punters or WG's

1 will by definition be massive compared to 2.

but i reckon even 2 will be quite large.

but there is no way of knowing because you cant get the data.  and the stats lads cant correct the data because they dont know the size of the error.

what may be fun is to think of your friends and family and think 'could they have? long ago?' Well you do so why not them.

Hmmm