Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
gog

Coerced Wgs

26 posts in this topic

When sex trafficking is discussed, a common definition is when women forced to work in the sex industry against their will.  This supposedly happens when women are offered work in a foreign country by criminals but no indication is given that they are expected to work in the sex industry.  When the women arrive in the foreign country, they are forced to work in parlours and are held captive. It is claimed that women are raped and beaten before being made to service punters.  It is obvious that women working in these kind of cirumstances are going to be in a state of extreme stress and this will be obvious to punters which means that punters may suspect a women is working against her will and punters will report the parlour to the police. In addition, a parlour where the WGs clearly hate their work is not going to do much business. In view of this, how realistic is the notion parlour owners would use coerced women?   

When sex trafficking is discussed, a common definition is when women forced to work in the sex industry against their will.  This supposedly happens when women are offered work in a foreign country by criminals but no indication is given that they are expected to work in the sex industry.  When the women arrive in the foreign country, they are forced to work in parlours and are held captive. It is claimed that women are raped and beaten before being made to service punters.  It is obvious that women working in these kind of cirumstances are going to be in a state of extreme stress and this will be obvious to punters which means that punters may suspect a women is working against her will and punters will report the parlour to the police. In addition, a parlour where the WGs clearly hate their work is not going to do much business. In view of this, how realistic is the notion parlour owners would use coerced women?   

I am sure that it happens, and the concerned punter should waste no time in calling Crime Stoppers to register his concern.

How many times have you read this."she just lay there and didnt respond...It was like shagging a board....She lay just lay there with her arms covering her chest waiting for me to finish.....Lousy punt.Didnt seem like she wanted to be there.....

There are some punter who do care,there are also those who dont.then there those who dont want to report it in case somehow it gets traced back to them.Then you have the age old attitude,someone else will report it/get involved.I remeber when a big "training" brothel was raided round my way.They were selling girls all over the country.The same road housed two other establishments which were left alone.I heard a couple of people i knew bemaoning that one being closed down as it was the cheaper.Make of that what you will

I think sadly it's probably more common than you think.  I'm no expert but I believe that in some cases the girl is told she owes the gang that smuggled her in money for arranging to get her into the country.  Therefore, she has to work to pay off the debt, and they keep her passport until she has done so.  In this case, the girl has an incentive to be "good" to earn more money as tips or for extra services, so she might just be putting a brave face on a terrible situation.

But the irony is that the best placed people to spot trafficked or coerced girls are the punters, and moves to criminalise paying for sex will ensure that suspicious punters will not want to get involved and risk reporting anything to the police.

I believe it is already against the law to have sex with a trafficked or coerced girl, even if you don't know at the time.

But of course the haters, Daily Mail readers and mumsnet members can't get their heads round the idea that punters can be decent people who would be appalled at the thought of having sex with anyone who was being coerced, and would jump at the chance to report such activity if it didn't involve confessing to be a criminal.

How many times have you read this."she just lay there and didnt respond...It was like shagging a board....She lay just lay there with her arms covering her chest waiting for me to finish.....Lousy punt.Didnt seem like she wanted to be there.....

There are some punter who do care,there are also those who dont.then there those who dont want to report it in case somehow it gets traced back to them.Then you have the age old attitude,someone else will report it/get involved.I remeber when a big "training" brothel was raided round my way.They were selling girls all over the country.The same road housed two other establishments which were left alone.I heard a couple of people i knew bemaoning that one being closed down as it was the cheaper.Make of that what you will

I think there's a lot of exaggeration; how easy can it be to basically hold someone against their will forcing them to have sex with complete strangers, whilst simultaneously advertising their presence in the country to the general public (and police) and giving the general public (and police on test purchase ops) personal and private access to these girls with no supervision from the trafficker. All without the girl saying a word. I think I remember reading that Nigerian girls make up the largest group of trafficked women in the country....yet if you were to set me the challenge, right now, of finding a Nigerian girl or any black African girl I probably couldn't do it. All the black girls I've seen have been Black British or British/Caribbean. This is because they're not available to the normal punting masses - they're brought in for those "in the loop". Most of those that "lay there waiting for you to finish" just hate their job like lots of people do....doesn't mean they're being forced - it may mean they've chosen the job out of desperation etc. and there are moral isssues there, certainly. But I wouldn't assume they're sex slaves....it's a tough job to have sex with someone, anyone, that walks through the door with the requisite amount of money in their hands. Hardly surprising a lot will end up doing what Markdee describes.

In the sex industry as in almost every other trade, there are different levels.

I have no doubt that the coerced, raped and brutalised prostitute does exist. I very much, however, doubt that we, most of us being native Brits, are going to encounter them very often, if atall. There are parallel societies deeper down in levels of despair (scholars will immediately think of Dante's Divine Comedy, which I haven't read, I confess) run by Albanians, by Chinese, and others. Their brothels cater almost entirely for their own people.

It is to be sincerely hoped that any of us who for whatever reason strays into territory where the lady clearly is not there of her own volition will go swiftly to the nearest red box, drop coins in, and call Crimestoppers or similar. Alas the crass stupidity of Hattie Harperson's clever absolute liability offence means that very few of us will be willing to give a s.9 statement.

The moral question, for me, is where the lady has coerced herself: life is good - husband, nice car, nice house, and the darling son(s) at expensive school, when, abruptly the husband dies, and proves to have been uninsured, and in debt up to his ears, or, he simply heads off to Californio with his delightful secretary. Good wife, looks herself in the mirror, and adds up. She married straight out of Uni, and hasn't worked for fifteen years. She realises that she has only one skill that she could sell, and she sees the son(s) education, which the benefit certainly won't help with, as non-negotiable. She forces herself onto the game. She isn't pimped. She is quite legal. Do I enjoy the delights she offers, or don't I, because I know that she doesn't really want me (and the others) to screw her, but sees no other way to keep up with the school bills and the mortgage?

I think there's a lot of exaggeration; how easy can it be to basically hold someone against their will forcing them to have sex with complete strangers, whilst simultaneously advertising their presence in the country to the general public (and police) and giving the general public (and police on test purchase ops) personal and private access to these girls with no supervision from the trafficker. All without the girl saying a word. I think I remember reading that Nigerian girls make up the largest group of trafficked women in the country....yet if you were to set me the challenge, right now, of finding a Nigerian girl or any black African girl I probably couldn't do it. All the black girls I've seen have been Black British or British/Caribbean. This is because they're not available to the normal punting masses - they're brought in for those "in the loop". Most of those that "lay there waiting for you to finish" just hate their job like lots of people do....doesn't mean they're being forced - it may mean they've chosen the job out of desperation etc. and there are moral isssues there, certainly. But I wouldn't assume they're sex slaves....it's a tough job to have sex with someone, anyone, that walks through the door with the requisite amount of money in their hands. Hardly surprising a lot will end up doing what Markdee describes.

Quite easy actually.Especially when you know things like where their family is.A lot of trafficked workers are unsupervised,and i'm not just talking sex trade.Think those labouring,the most common you'll probably meet,Mr and Miss DVD.With the correct level of threat,intimidation,with a willingness to carry out the threats can work wonders.They could run away,report whats happening to them,but then its their family thatd pay the price.

For a more "local look at trafficking in general check out this case for example  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-14871318 

Your comment about Nigerians had thrown me.Upon checking it you are correct http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19984615  Whereas from what ive seen i'd put Chinese way above them.It does however say the figures are taken from those reported to National Referral Mechanism, the official body that identifies and looks after those caught up in trafficking so that throws the figures further as it will end up including those making claims to avoid deportation.

The reason i used that wording is because similar was used on another site on a report of someone who's circumstance i reported.Seems they failed to see the deep cigarette burns all up her arms and on her body

Will we ever see accurate figures on this?No.Genuine victims will frequently be too scared to report it,and as previously stated,for others it can become a stay in the country card.To say it doesnt happen or is unlikely however..

In the sex industry as in almost every other trade, there are different levels.

I have no doubt that the coerced, raped and brutalised prostitute does exist. I very much, however, doubt that we, most of us being native Brits, are going to encounter them very often, if atall.

It is to be sincerely hoped that any of us who for whatever reason strays into territory where the lady clearly is not there of her own volition will go swiftly to the nearest red box, drop coins in, and call Crimestoppers or similar.

There has been times when it looks like the lady has not wanted to be there in the parlour, and you give subtle concern to get a reaction, only to be not given any.

And of course there is the influx of EE girls which does make you think, when they turn up at your local parlour and then dissapear just as quick as they came.

I would certainly get involved if I knew for certain it was going on, and contact crimestoppers, but you need to be qute certain.

With street prstition, there is quite a bit of coerced ladies plying their trade when not exactly willing. Pimps run RLD areas, and the girls who want to work them have no say at times in what is expected of them, there has been much written about part time girls trying to do some work there and getting attacked by the girls and the pimps,  

Only once I can be sure of.

A Chinese shop many years ago, when I first started punting.

When I realise, a call to the police and the shop was raided and closed down the next day, with no problems for me.

CB

Quite easy actually.Especially when you know things like where their family is.A lot of trafficked workers are unsupervised,and i'm not just talking sex trade.Think those labouring,the most common you'll probably meet,Mr and Miss DVD.With the correct level of threat,intimidation,with a willingness to carry out the threats can work wonders.They could run away,report whats happening to them,but then its their family thatd pay the price.

For a more "local look at trafficking in general check out this case for example  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-14871318 

Your comment about Nigerians had thrown me.Upon checking it you are correct http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19984615  Whereas from what ive seen i'd put Chinese way above them.It does however say the figures are taken from those reported to National Referral Mechanism, the official body that identifies and looks after those caught up in trafficking so that throws the figures further as it will end up including those making claims to avoid deportation.

The reason i used that wording is because similar was used on another site on a report of someone who's circumstance i reported.Seems they failed to see the deep cigarette burns all up her arms and on her body

Will we ever see accurate figures on this?No.Genuine victims will frequently be too scared to report it,and as previously stated,for others it can become a stay in the country card.To say it doesnt happen or is unlikely however..

Well the DVD sellers are trafficked but not unwillingly and they know they'll have to pay off debts when they arrive. They're not slaves in the imprisonment sense. They're being horribly taken advantage of - but they're not what I'm talking about; they're also they're often used as caretakers for cannabis farms in residential houses. They work there for 6 months taking all the risk of a police raid in order to pay off their debt to the trafficker. What I'm saying is that you can't hold all these women prisoner, against their will, making them work as prostitutes when they thought they'd be doing bar work and not have any of them say a word...yes they may threaten families back home, but I can't see that working every single time, which it has to since it only takes one girl to cave in and the whole game is over. As I said those that are genuinely forced into prostitution are not part of the sex-trade that we know about...they're kept for closed circles of people and not advertised to all and sundry.

Well the DVD sellers are trafficked but not unwillingly and they know they'll have to pay off debts when they arrive. They're not slaves in the imprisonment sense. They're being horribly taken advantage of - but they're not what I'm talking about; they're also they're often used as caretakers for cannabis farms in residential houses. They work there for 6 months taking all the risk of a police raid in order to pay off their debt to the trafficker. What I'm saying is that you can't hold all these women prisoner, against their will, making them work as prostitutes when they thought they'd be doing bar work and not have any of them say a word...yes they may threaten families back home, but I can't see that working every single time, which it has to since it only takes one girl to cave in and the whole game is over. As I said those that are genuinely forced into prostitution are not part of the sex-trade that we know about...they're kept for closed circles of people and not advertised to all and sundry.

6 Months.You're having a bubble.Try six years.You really have no idea how threats and intimidation work do you.As for not slaves.Working everyday for a bowl of rice and a roof.If you refuse to work,being locked up for days with no food and water,beaten until you comply.

As for saying you can't hold these women prisoners with threats.What about that lovely case recently with the lady found in the Harrow brothel who,even after telling the authorities what she'd gone through was fast track deported home to Moldova.There,the people who took her in the first place first beat and raped her brother.Then she was taken,tortured,raped and resold and returned to work.She has since managed to escape again and the British Government is now in the process of paying her compensation.

You need to realise,the threat isnt that family will be beaten,we're talking multiple members killed.As for,it only takes one to cave.Question for you.How does someone who doesnt speak English explain anything to someone who has no idea what language she speaks?

Finally,lets talk business.You go to all the trouble and expense of smuggling some girls over here.You need to put them up,keep them.Would you keep them for a select circle or would you try to get as many people to see them to maximise their profits.If someone cottons on you just move to a new location.

To say that coerced women are not "part of the sex trade we know" is an incredibly blinkered view and in its way as bad as those that state that nearly all women working in this industry are trafficked.

6 Months.You're having a bubble.Try six years.You really have no idea how threats and intimidation work do you.As for not slaves.Working everyday for a bowl of rice and a roof.If you refuse to work,being locked up for days with no food and water,beaten until you comply.

As for saying you can't hold these women prisoners with threats.What about that lovely case recently with the lady found in the Harrow brothel who,even after telling the authorities what she'd gone through was fast track deported home to Moldova.There,the people who took her in the first place first beat and raped her brother.Then she was taken,tortured,raped and resold and returned to work.She has since managed to escape again and the British Government is now in the process of paying her compensation.

You need to realise,the threat isnt that family will be beaten,we're talking multiple members killed.As for,it only takes one to cave.Question for you.How does someone who doesnt speak English explain anything to someone who has no idea what language she speaks?

Finally,lets talk business.You go to all the trouble and expense of smuggling some girls over here.You need to put them up,keep them.Would you keep them for a select circle or would you try to get as many people to see them to maximise their profits.If someone cottons on you just move to a new location.

To say that coerced women are not "part of the sex trade we know" is an incredibly blinkered view and in its way as bad as those that state that nearly all women working in this industry are trafficked.

Very good post, even the home grown youngsters who were in the news recently, were reporting their case for ages before anyone took it seriously, they were moved around to provide services for many folk, drugs and violence were used to keep them quiet.

In some cases they were kept for years, and they were English who knew the system, so what change do foreign girls have that dont understand the language.

My own experience (purely London-based) over the years has led me to get to know a number of Chinese WGs very well. I have never encountered or heard of anyone who was "smuggled" into the UK. The majority come in on legitimate visas, even if some may have paid a fair sum to get one. No threats to family back home, just a debt to be paid. Nor have I ever met anyone unable to speak English at least sufficiently to make themselves clearly understood.

Smuggled, coerced, imprisoned workers unable to speak a word of English may well exist in more "hidden" locations. There has been evidence that they do, but I believe the majority of Chinese operations do not fall into this category. There is no need when there are plenty of willing workers who know they can make very good money for themselves and their families.

It is the case that more high-profile establishments, those that advertise openly and have been around for a while, tend to be well run and staffed by WGs who know exactly what they are doing and have made that choice freely. They are not "invisible". They are known to local plod, who know them to be OK. As always, if punters exercise caution in selecting an establishment they are unlikely to encounter unwilling workers.

There is a new thread relevant to this one. See "Invisible: Britain's Migrant Sex Workers"

My own experience (purely London-based) over the years has led me to get to know a number of Chinese WGs very well. I have never encountered or heard of anyone who was "smuggled" into the UK. The majority come in on legitimate visas, even if some may have paid a fair sum to get one. No threats to family back home, just a debt to be paid. Nor have I ever met anyone unable to speak English at least sufficiently to make themselves clearly understood.

Smuggled, coerced, imprisoned workers unable to speak a word of English may well exist in more "hidden" locations. There has been evidence that they do, but I believe the majority of Chinese operations do not fall into this category. There is no need when there are plenty of willing workers who know they can make very good money for themselves and their families.

It is the case that more high-profile establishments, those that advertise openly and have been around for a while, tend to be well run and staffed by WGs who know exactly what they are doing and have made that choice freely. They are not "invisible". They are known to local plod, who know them to be OK. As always, if punters exercise caution in selecting an establishment they are unlikely to encounter unwilling workers.

There is a new thread relevant to this one. See "Invisible: Britain's Migrant Sex Workers"

So because you havent been personally told by them it doesnt happen?Also,speaking of workers unable to speak a word of English.That seems quite common nowdays reading FR on various sites.In fact,its mentioned in the article you posted.

Don't get me wrong.I don't believe for a second the figures proposed by those that want prostitution banned.They have it at nearly all workers being trafficked and coerced.I do however find it just as disturbing when i see people saying it doesnt happen as we have never seen it.People generally never see anything unless they are prepared to look.

Well as I said, there's no other explanation for the fact that Nigerian women are one of the largest groups of trafficked sex slaves and yet they're non-existent in the market as far as normal punters are concerned. Giving an example of one Moldovan doesn't alter my argument - I never claimed it wouldn't work with ANY. Just that it couldn't work with every single one, and it's very rare that I've met a girl who didn't speak any English and even then I've coped using language translation apps on my phone. I've never met a girl that didn't have a mobile phone of her own either, even if it was someone else who took my call. Genuine sex slaves are extremely rare.

Well as I said, there's no other explanation for the fact that Nigerian women are one of the largest groups of trafficked sex slaves and yet they're non-existent in the market as far as normal punters are concerned. Giving an example of one Moldovan doesn't alter my argument - I never claimed it wouldn't work with ANY. Just that it couldn't work with every single one, and it's very rare that I've met a girl who didn't speak any English and even then I've coped using language translation apps on my phone. I've never met a girl that didn't have a mobile phone of her own either, even if it was someone else who took my call. Genuine sex slaves are extremely rare.

Do you actually read any replies?For Nigerians,if you remember the figures are taken from those reported to National Referral Mechanism, the official body that identifies and looks after those caught up in trafficking.Thats those reported after being caught by immigration.Oddly enough,Nigeria is one of the top countries of origin for illigal immigration to the UK.Those figures have a lot to do with people trying to stay in the country and little to do with trafficking.

You also do fail to see how intimidation actually works.Lets hope you never find out.As for your claims on language.So from translation apps youve managed to communicate perfectly with the lady.Most translation apps are at best a tad ropey.Secondly,What do you think she's going to do,type,help me into your phone.

I don't know why you're so adamant that this doesnt exist and cant happen.I'm just hoping its because you're just a tad naive

So because you havent been personally told by them it doesnt happen?Also,speaking of workers unable to speak a word of English.That seems quite common nowdays reading FR on various sites.In fact,its mentioned in the article you posted.

Don't get me wrong.I don't believe for a second the figures proposed by those that want prostitution banned.They have it at nearly all workers being trafficked and coerced.I do however find it just as disturbing when i see people saying it doesnt happen as we have never seen it.People generally never see anything unless they are prepared to look.

To be clear, at no point in my previous post did I say "it doesn't happen". In fact I specifically mentioned that there is evidence that it does. However, as any of us here can only speak from personal experience, I said only that it has not come within my personal experience over many years punting with numerous Chinese WGs in various establishments.

Yes, I am very selective and always have been, I know the better places. I was fortunate to be schooled by an indy Chinese WG before I ever started visiting the standard two-girl/mamasan operations. If trying somewhere new (rare these days) my radar would kick in very early if I suspected anything even vaguely dodgy.

I have got to know many women quite well over the years, so I do know a fair bit about  how it works for them. Do they tell me the truth? In some cases probably not the whole truth, but two former WGs remain close personal friends and I know all about their lives. That is all.

Do you actually read any replies?For Nigerians,if you remember the figures are taken from those reported to National Referral Mechanism, the official body that identifies and looks after those caught up in trafficking.Thats those reported after being caught by immigration.Oddly enough,Nigeria is one of the top countries of origin for illigal immigration to the UK.Those figures have a lot to do with people trying to stay in the country and little to do with trafficking.

You also do fail to see how intimidation actually works.Lets hope you never find out.As for your claims on language.So from translation apps youve managed to communicate perfectly with the lady.Most translation apps are at best a tad ropey.Secondly,What do you think she's going to do,type,help me into your phone.

I don't know why you're so adamant that this doesnt exist and cant happen.I'm just hoping its because you're just a tad naive

Seems to me that you want to dismiss the Nigerians, since you can't explain their non-existence in the UK sex market. You do this by saying that perhaps they're lying. Yet you accept the figures or estimates for Romanians et al. because women from those countries DO have a presence in the UK sex scene. Does it not occur to you that THEY may have reasons to lie? e.g. so they can tell their families they were forced and didn't willingly prostitute themselves, or maybe they just don't want to admit it to the police out of personal shame, or because they're concerned that they're breaking the law in the UK if they admit they were willing...seems to me you want to have your cake and eat it. 

Seems to me that you want to dismiss the Nigerians, since you can't explain their non-existence in the UK sex market. You do this by saying that perhaps they're lying. Yet you accept the figures or estimates for Romanians et al. because women from those countries DO have a presence in the UK sex scene. Does it not occur to you that THEY may have reasons to lie? e.g. so they can tell their families they were forced and didn't willingly prostitute themselves, or maybe they just don't want to admit it to the police out of personal shame, or because they're concerned that they're breaking the law in the UK if they admit they were willing...seems to me you want to have your cake and eat it. 

Read my reply.The nigeria is one of the top regions in the world for illigal immigration to the UK.If they claim to be coerced sex workers when picked up they can now stay in the UK.Doesnt mean they were actually within that industry to start with,which is what i've already said.

The figures are not taken from people actually picked up in brothels etc so proving/disproving their status becomes impossible.

To claim trafficking doesnt exist because you have never seen a Nigerian WG is a litle ludicrous.

To paraphrase the old saying.Theres none so blind as those that refuse to see

Good old Ross Kemp did a programme about it. According to the different nationality girls they only saw men of their own race, they were not known about by the general punting community and there was no advertising as we know it. So, any of us could be walking past a house on any given day and none of you will have a clue there are even girls in there offering sex. They are kept hidden

Read my reply.The nigeria is one of the top regions in the world for illigal immigration to the UK.If they claim to be coerced sex workers when picked up they can now stay in the UK.Doesnt mean they were actually within that industry to start with,which is what i've already said.

The figures are not taken from people actually picked up in brothels etc so proving/disproving their status becomes impossible.

To claim trafficking doesnt exist because you have never seen a Nigerian WG is a litle ludicrous.

To paraphrase the old saying.Theres none so blind as those that refuse to see

I did read - I know they could be lying. That was my point. So could any girl who isn't from an EU country. I never claimed it doesn't exist...please point to the posting I made that says this and quote me. I simply said it's very rare in the sex industry that you, me and the others on this forum have access to. The figures may have multiple sources - you've found one, which is from immigration referrals separate to trafficking raids, however it's presumptuous of you to assume that this means that other sources which ARE related to anti-trafficking raids don't have a similar result. 

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDAQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.soca.gov.uk%2Fabout-soca%2Flibrary%2Fdoc_download%2F400-soca-ukhtc-baseline-assessment&ei=uJFxUde1HcnLPayQgHA&usg=AFQjCNH6BCsSNrFEBCp4fqaNV49d2c-0nQ&bvm=bv.45373924,d.ZWU

This link shows Nigerians as being in the top 5 and says that those who were found to NOT be victims of trafficking were removed from the list. So the point is that these Nigerians are being believed by people who know far more than you...

Edited by punter992005

For some parlours, pussy is pussy!

Sorry to be crass, but ..it is what it is.

It is very realistic that some establishments would "use" a coerced woman.

The woman concerned does not have to be the poster girl of  "crying/overtly scared,etc", mostly subtle.

Trafficking is not as much as the Daily Mail love to bleat on about, on the other hand, it is more than the powers that be would like the sheeple to know.

Wake up please..society!.it happens, a lot, not the 000.000% that folks are told to appease their minds and shoddy souls.

My intense words are not aimed personally at you.

I know personally of a girl, well, a woman, in her 20's, she was taken from brothel to brothel and "entertained" guys you may see on the Central Line come a Tuesday morning, none the wiser with their polished cufflinks and gelled back hair,not a care in the world.

Unfortunately,many, not all, but many men WILL lay down with a girl they suspect is not doing this job at her own accord, they will pacify their weak minds with, "she is not doing her job properly, she is crap, she is silent, she is not true, etc", when in fact, she may, just maybe, not be pulling out the stops as she does not want to be servicing men left right and center full stop.

The woman I speak off, looks are here nor there, but I must say, a truly beautiful Asian girl, she was told she owed twenty thousand(I kid you not!!!) and her pass port was confiscated, to get that back she would have to pay off this "debt" via pleasuring the many London men  in the city, Baker Street actually if you must know.

She was not threatened with overt aggression, it was a lot more subtle than this, she wanted to travel back to her family, without her passport she could not, the dominance put upon her was stifling.

Many men need to wake up.

Edited by Somekindagirl

The moral question, for me, is where the lady has coerced herself: life is good - husband, nice car, nice house, and the darling son(s) at expensive school, when, abruptly the husband dies, and proves to have been uninsured, and in debt up to his ears, or, he simply heads off to Californio with his delightful secretary. Good wife, looks herself in the mirror, and adds up. She married straight out of Uni, and hasn't worked for fifteen years. She realises that she has only one skill that she could sell, and she sees the son(s) education, which the benefit certainly won't help with, as non-negotiable. She forces herself onto the game. She isn't pimped. She is quite legal. Do I enjoy the delights she offers, or don't I, because I know that she doesn't really want me (and the others) to screw her, but sees no other way to keep up with the school bills and the mortgage?

That's not a problem for me. I coerce myself to get up in the morning and go to work when I'd much rather not have to. I have a choice and so does the lady in your scenario. If she chooses to go on the game, then she takes responsibility for that choice and that absolves the punter from any guilt, as I see it.

If she could make enough money flower-arranging or baking cupcakes, no-one would turn a hair - in fact, they'd applaud her enterpreneurial acumen. Why should it be any different if she chooses to shag punters? That's just social moral standards impinging on personal choices.

My employers don't particularly care if I don't want to get up in the morning, as long as I do go to work. If I called in one day and said: "I just don't feel like it today", they wouldn't be at all happy! At least your hypothetical lady does have that choice.

She does however if she has clients booked in advance she risks unhappy clients. The responsibility in self-employment is to yourself, your business, your clients and of course you don't have holiday nor sick pay, which also covers things like medical appointments, sorting out legal or financial issues - things employers often provide for.  Many lot self-employed people often mention how they feel put upon by families and friends who think because they don't have a direct 'employer that they can just drop everything and be available at whim. Thus anyone who wants to do well, or has bills to pay will often be thinking, ok I can't be arsed today but what impact will this have long-term?Sometimes it's easier to have a boss stood over you, makes the decision for you!