Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Max Gentle

Luton Prostitute Petition

8 posts in this topic

I happened across this on the BBC website today:

<http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-22125333>

"A group complaining about prostitution has handed in a 2,000-signature petition calling for a vote of no confidence in two Luton councillors."

You can read the story for yourselves. The thing that caught my eye was this quote from one of the  campaigners: "We are upset by cars cruising around the area. Used condoms and needles litter the streets and park areas where a lot of children play and old people are afraid to come out of their homes after dark."

They equate prostitution with drug addiction, as if they're the same thing. It sounds as it Luton has been making efforts to provide support services for the street prostitutes in the area: is there really such a correlation between street prostitution and injecting drug addicts?

http://www.heart.co.uk/dunstable/news/local/hightown-residents-campaign-against-prostitution/

Here's another article.

He says prostitutes can be seen caring out sexual acts publicly and items like condoms and needles are often left behind.

As well as being approached by prostitutes himself he's been spat at and bitten.

He says this behaviour is impacting on business:

"My customers are afraid to stop outside, even my suppliers are afraid because they've had prostitutes jump into their car, they don't want to park they don't want to stop here"

A disabled woman, who wishes to remain anonymous, told Heart she's scared to leave her flat

Her children are worried about her being shot.

She says she has to close the blinds when her grandchildren come over so the can't see what the prostitutes are doing outside.

Is street prostitution that bad? :eek:

"Her children are worried about her being shot." But it doesn't say who by? Do street walkers carry guns and go around shooting random people, or is there gang violence or something?

The crime of kerb crawling and paying for sex is of course primarily an issue for the police...

I also noticed this. Kerb crawling is a crime yes. Paying for sex (under certain circumstances) is not a crime. But as usual we have another journalist who words it to make the public think paying for sex is already illegal.

Luton has had a problem with street prostitution for years, the Council and the Police do try to sort it out by various means, but all it does is move it from one part of the town to another.

I would have thought there has long been an association between street prostitution (and some other prostitution) and drugs with the SP or the pimp the initiator.

In the street world, Pimps use drugs to control their women. Women use drugs to help cope with the prostitution.

talking out top of head partly but from knowledge from many years ago, that was certainly what I was discovering.

I hope, BTW, that this thread isn't breaking rules about discussing 'the street scene'. I started the thread on the basis of it being about the issue of local people in Luton and their view of prostitution and related issues. I didn't intend a discussion about how or where or why to engage with 'the street scene'.

If it is infringing any rules, please accept my apologies! :)

I would have thought there has long been an association between street prostitution (and some other prostitution) and drugs with the SP or the pimp the initiator.

In the street world, Pimps use drugs to control their women. Women use drugs to help cope with the prostitution.

talking out top of head partly but from knowledge from many years ago, that was certainly what I was discovering.

Well, the point is that people become addicted to drugs for whatever reason - the men will shoplift and rob people and burgle houses etc. and for girls there's obviously prostitution. The streetgirls don't get into drugs AFTER going on the street - it's the other way round. And yes, from my experience, a lot of years ago, they were ALL drug addicts, with a few who got off the drugs and kept working for a little bit and then stopped or moved indoors into the brothels etc.

Luton is just one of many places where street prostitution is rife.

Anyone defending used needles, used condoms etc. really need to rethink.

I for one am pretty glad that the Luton community is doing something about it.

There is a reason why Street Prostitution is dangerous and looked down upon more so than other forms of prostitution.