Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
vivluvsme

Locating To London

8 posts in this topic

I know an SP who is looking at moving to London to work from a flat.

Does anyone have:

a) any ideas of an area that would be a good choice for rental cost of flat, pleasant place to be, known to be a good area for girls who already work there or looking like an area a bit short of current good girls

Or

more generally, what seem to be the points to consider from some awareness of the London scene - way too general a request I realise but perhaps there is some experience and wisdom out there that can be shared.

I realise SPs themselves might be the best source of this sort of information but I also realise it would be a bit much to expect SPs to give away tips possibly gained only from harsh experience, but anything would be welcome.

She has mentioned three places to me but I don't know what prompted her to pick on these - Liverpool Street, Whitechapel, Hammersmith - likely clientele?

Not really wanting soppy answers please - although I am the last person to be in a position to tell others not to do what I do far too often :(

Thanks in advance

Edited by vivluvsme

If she isn't already get her to join saafe and ask there. I'm in London, but miles out West so not really able to comment on those areas. Assume she has done her sums  with regards to the astronomical rents in those areas! 

Edited by MinxyLydia

I'm no expert but have lived in London for 20+ years. 

Those areas are very different.  I don't know them all but would say:

Liverpool St.  Safe and worth working only Mon-Fri, during office hours

Hammersmith.  Variable.  Lots of loons but also can be OK if you find a decent place to stay.  If you're doing business it'll be less 9-5 and more as it comes ie evenings, weekends etc.

Whitechapel.  Extreme caution.  I don't know the area well but well off punters will be few and far between in my respectful view

Hope that helps.  pm me if you think I can give any more useful pov 

There's always seems to be a shortage of girls in and around Victoria. An opportunity for a decent WG I would have thought!

Liverpool Street will be City boys. There is good potential there during the week but the City is dead at the weekends, it's like walking through a ghost town. None of the cafes in the city are open at the weekend as there is no trade.

I'm not sure about Hammersmith, it's fairly affluent and neighbors some good areas. I wouldn't want her to work from Whitechapel. It's not the best of places, a bit gritty. I go there occasionally for a curry on Brick lane but not for any other reason. 

There's always seems to be a shortage of girls in and around Victoria. An opportunity for a decent WG I would have thought!

Yes, Victoria is a stones throw from Westminster so lost of government types there. Also there is Microsoft HQ who host loads of events with people visiting who are a long way from home in the US.

I know of a couple of WG's (not in contact with them) who were in Knightsbridge, SW1, then moved to Victoria, near Billy Elliott, just off Victoria Street, then moved again to Mayfair, W1J.

They were not in Victoria very long, which might say something.

Thanks for helpful comments so far.

I think she has been looking at rents as she identified possible areas so is aware of the issues.

I am surprised about the comment on Victoria needing more SPs as i would have thought it one of the overcrowded areas in that regard.

I am sure she would appreciate any more comments/suggestions.

she has proved a very popular lady in the Midland towns she has worked in.